Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Just one letter can change your whole world view (caution - possible religious thread) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2006-05-11 1:48 PM
in reply to: #420719

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Subject: RE: Just one letter can change your whole world view (caution - possible religious thread)

Wow... good one.

Is the "I" in this the me that I know, or the higher me that is running the show?  Does it matter?

My limited, and often difficult to explain, belief system involves me, my higher self, that self's higher self, that self's higher self... so on and so on, until we get to All That Is.  Like a kind of network.

I am the fingertip on the hand, that is on the arm, that is attached to the body.  I am a small part of the "we." 

If the "I" that is me were to no longer have congnative thought, it wouldn't matter, because the "I" that is my higher-self would still be aware of everything, and the learning experience that is this existence would still be valid.

2006-05-11 1:52 PM
in reply to: #420928

Elite
Livingston, MT
Subject: RE: Just one letter can change your whole world view (caution - possible religious thread)
dontracy - 2006-05-11 8:35 AM

hangloose -

This can be re-phrased to say that if there is no God, I do not exist, however I clearly exist, therefore there must be a God.

That is a good point.

Again, the alternative is Descartes', where my own knowledge of myself is good enough. This could still lead to a belief in a transcendent being that knows me, or it could also lead to a belief that there is no higher transcendent being.

Or that I'm the higher transcendent being.

2006-05-11 2:39 PM
in reply to: #421020

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Renee -

Reflection, meditation, listening to my heart.

So what is that like for you?

When you're listening to your heart, what are you listening for? 

2006-05-11 2:41 PM
in reply to: #421101

User image

madkat -

My limited, and often difficult to explain, belief system involves me, my higher self, that self's higher self, that self's higher self... so on and so on, until we get to All That Is. Like a kind of network.

So are there any names for the levels between madkat and All That Is? 

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

You know what Don?  You're right.  I got wrapped up in discussing the opposing theories as opposed to answering the question in the OP.  MadKat did it the right way, very interesting answer too.

So here's my answer:  I think Descartes was reasonably on the money in terms of dispelling commonly accepted beliefs that had not supportive proof other than the fact that they were commonly accepted.  I think that Baaden is presenting an argument based on an assumption (wrapped in an enigma, yada yada yada).

I think that Religion should not fear Philosophy.  However, I think that there are (and have been) religious people who fear Philosophy for their own selfish (human?) reasons.  I think Philosophy challenges Religion to think, and to be accountable for the claims it makes.  I want a religion that can be introspective and challenge itself.  I want a religion that makes a person think for themselves and want to learn.  I don't need a religion that answers everyone's questions, just mine.  I think that Philosophy can push a Religion to raise its standards of critical thinking and that ultimately benefits everyone.  Close-minded blind acceptance of unsupported claims usually leads to disaster.

I apologize if I was becoming adversarial earlier in the thread.

in reply to: #421104

User image

ChuckyFinster - Or that I'm the higher transcendent being.

Chucky, you gotta say more about that.  

2006-05-11 2:48 PM
in reply to: #421159

User image

hangloose -

I apologize if I was becoming adversarial earlier in the thread.

No need to apologize. Really.

I don't know about other folks, but I often use what someone has written as a springboard for something that I've already been thinking about. That's what happened when I read your post.

And what you wrote was hardly adversarial.

And when I mentioned other adversarial threads, I shoulda mentioned that I recognize that I am one of the most adversarial posters on them. Although I try to be nice about it.

I think that Religion should not fear Philosophy.

I agree 100%.

Edited by dontracy 2006-05-11 2:52 PM
2006-05-11 3:05 PM
in reply to: #421156

User image

Buttercup
dontracy - 2006-05-11 3:39 PM
Renee -

Reflection, meditation, listening to my heart.

So what is that like for you?

It's my purest voice. It's the voice that never lies, never rationalizes.

I'm listening for truth. Clear, unfettered truth.

2006-05-11 3:20 PM
in reply to: #421200

User image

Renee -

What do you do if what you hear is in conflict with other people of good will who are trying to do the same thing?

I know that this is an issue that has come up often for Quakers in their history. 

2006-05-11 3:26 PM
in reply to: #421232

User image

Buttercup
dontracy - 2006-05-11 4:20 PM
Renee -

What do you do if what you hear is in conflict with other people of good will who are trying to do the same thing?

What do you mean?

I follow my heart. I think others should do the same.

2006-05-11 3:33 PM
in reply to: #421244

User image

Renee -

Right.  But what do you do in the event that what your heart sincerely tells you is in conflict with what someone else's heart sincerely tells them.  Let's say it's an issue where only one outcome can be true, but not both.

I know with Quakers, they have something called a clearness process where they sit together and further try to discern what is being said through the two members.

Just wondering if this has come up for you and how you handle it. 

2006-05-11 3:38 PM
in reply to: #421253

User image

Buttercup
dontracy - 2006-05-11 4:33 PM
Renee -

Right.  But what do you do in the event that what your heart sincerely tells you is in conflict with what someone else's heart sincerely tells them.  Let's say it's an issue where only one outcome can be true, but not both.

I know with Quakers, they have something called a clearness process where they sit together and further try to discern what is being said through the two members.

Just wondering if this has come up for you and how you handle it. 

Depends. Give me an example. Your question is too vague. And please clarify what you mean by a "true" outcome.

Edited by Renee 2006-05-11 3:39 PM
2006-05-11 3:50 PM

User image

Runner
To address the initial post, I think that both are trying to explain the existance of God. Descartes says that there must be God, because man is imperfect, so something must have spawned man, and that being is perfect, ergo God. Because I am conscious of my imperfect being, this proves that I did not create myself. Also, I have an idea of what is perfect, because without an idea of perfect, I wouldn't know I am imperfect, and this idea of perfect comes from a Perfect Being, i.e. God. Therefore, God MUST exist.

Baader basically states that our existance relies on the cognizance of our being by God. God is thought, thought is God. He has a presupposition of God; we cannot exist without there being one. Of course, Baader founded his thoughts on Catholic prinicples and teachings.

Personally, I always liked the idea brought about by Einstein in relation to God. He had The Great Clockmaker. Basically, God built it, then started the motion, and then let it go. That was one thing I never understood as a child and growing up Catholic. Praying for help seemed contrary to me, especially when you then throw in God's will. Ok, so if I pray hard enough, I can get God to change his mind? I also never liked predestiny, for the obvious reasons (no free will). To me, it's just makes more sense to think that God doesn't bother to interfere, he just sits back and watches things happen. He's neither beneficent nor malevolent. He just is. Does He exist? Sure, why not? He exists the same way 2 billion Chinese people exist in a continent halfway round the world. I don't them, I'll never meet anything remotely close to a percentage of them, but I must assume they exist. Call it faith, if you like.

Anyway, I guess I got to rambling there on my own philosophy, and not on the original. That's because I think both Descartes and Baader are fairly dull, and I generally have tried to avoid reading any philosophy since college. Especially anything related to ethics, morality, and rule of law. Blech! If you don't know what I mean, go read Hobbes, Locke, and Kant for 15 weeks, then tell me how you feel.
2006-05-11 3:53 PM

User image

OK, let's say there are two people.  They are trying to find out if God exists or not (god in however you want to define it)

One listens to their heart to discern whether God exists, and comes to the conclusion that God does not exist.

The other listens to their heart for the same thing, and comes to the conclusion that God does exist. 

One is correct, but not both.

How do they each know whether what they are hearing is true or not?  If they both are sincere and do not want to be in error, how could they check their conclusion?

2006-05-11 3:55 PM
in reply to: #421276

User image

Runner
dontracy - 2006-05-11 4:53 PM

OK, let's say there are two people. They are trying to find out if God exists or not (god in however you want to define it)

One listens to their heart to discern whether God exists, and comes to the conclusion that God does not exist.

The other listens to their heart for the same thing, and comes to the conclusion that God does exist.

How do they each know whether what they are hearing is true or not? If they both are sincere and do not want to be in error, how could they check their conclusion?

I think this is why Descartes says that our sense are not trustworthy, and that our knowing of ourselves, and knowing that we are imperfect, leads us to the conclusion of there being a God.
2006-05-11 4:16 PM
in reply to: #421158

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
dontracy - 2006-05-11 11:41 AM
madkat -

My limited, and often difficult to explain, belief system involves me, my higher self, that self's higher self, that self's higher self... so on and so on, until we get to All That Is. Like a kind of network.

So are there any names for the levels between madkat and All That Is? 

No Names, per se, but I consider the tier just above "me" to be my personal 'god' or the being most responsible for "me".  But, at the same time, that's Me too.  When I pray, that's the being that I imagine I'm communicating with. 

But that being is connected to everything else, so, in a way they are me and I am they...  it's all connected.  We are just one really big experiment in experience.

It depends on whether at the moment I feel like a body with a soul, or a soul with a body. 

2006-05-11 5:37 PM

User image

Buttercup

OK, let's say there are two people.  They are trying to find out if God exists or not (god in however you want to define it)

How do they each know whether what they are hearing is true or not?  If they both are sincere and do not want to be in error, how could they check their conclusion?

Why must one "prove" the other to be in error (wrong)? I accept that other people have different views about god, life, the universe, and everything.  I don't need to reconcile their differing views to mine. We've walked different paths; we're going to see the world and life differently. I'm okay with that.

I like to learn how people have arrived at their own truths/conclusions. I think I can learn something in the journey they made to reach their truths. Sometimes you find a gem, sometimes not.

2006-05-11 5:54 PM
in reply to: #420941

User image

Pro
Evanston,
I'm with hangloose. The second statement does not negate the first, it just offers a potential amplification of it.

"Cogito, ergo sum" describes the my conception of my own existence, how I can be sure that it is so. It is not the thinking that makes it so, it is the thinking that makes me know it.

"Cogitor, ergo sum" describes how such existence came to be, how i along with the universe was originally conceived in the mind of an all-knowing God.

Unless my first statement is a mishandling of Descartes, which I admit it may be, the two are not in conflict. Sure, someone may subscribe to only one or the other, but one can just as easily claim both, as I just did.
2006-05-11 7:12 PM
in reply to: #421076

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
dontracy - 2006-05-11 2:26 PM

<.

I was hoping that this could be a thread where the argument was about getting to the heart of the matter, with everyone adding to the pot, rather than an argument against each other with everyone trying to protect turf.

<

I'm guilty of this. I'm going to keep this in mind the next time I answer apost on COJ. (Slight hijack, but Don this is a good point that I too often miss. Thanks.)
2006-05-11 7:41 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

OK, let's say there are two people. They are trying to find out if God exists or not (god in however you want to define it)

How do they each know whether what they are hearing is true or not? If they both are sincere and do not want to be in error, how could they check their conclusion?

Unfortunately, the only way to check the conclusion appears to preclude the ability to report on the answer.

Why must one be correct, but not both? That assumption seems to limit the possibilities of the divine.

2006-05-12 6:57 AM
in reply to: #421508

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
marmadaddy - 2006-05-11 7:41 PM

Unfortunately, the only way to check the conclusion appears to preclude the ability to report on the answer.

Why must one be correct, but not both? That assumption seems to limit the possibilities of the divine.

Mike, interesting question.  I'll throw out an answer why but I want to make clear it does not represent what I believe.  It's just a position for discussion so don't flame me too badly for it.

The answer may be that the only reason that both answers cannot exist is because of the reason the question was asked in the first place.  Man is imperfect.  Man is selfish, greedy, violent.  Men with self-interest in their hearts will not allow others to hold a belief that opposes their faith because they believe it represents a threat to their own faith.  Thus the need to have an answer.  The Divine Being may be all Gods to everyone, at the same time.  As imperfect Man we can't understand or comprehend all that the concept of God encompasses.  When we claim to, we put limits on Him(use your own term).  The need for a conclusion to the discussion between the two people in the example above is Man's need, not God's.

Thoughts?  Comments?  It's Friday.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Just one letter can change your whole world view (caution - possible religious thread) Rss Feed  

of 3