United States
80'sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 03m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had a baked potato w/ chicken for lunch. Drank 3 glasses of water.
Event warmup:

Did some light walking and stretching.
Run
  • 1h 03m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 20m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I started the walk along w/ some co-workers. We quickly separated during the first mile, and Mary, Kelly and I stayed together. The first mile going into the second quickly became difficult because I got shin splints. I decided to stop and stretch them out just before mile two, which made a world of difference. I was able to continue walking at pace without much more pain. I also did some short jogs every few feet or so. Felt good, but not as good as other times. I started out half wanting to beat my personal best time, but w/ the shin splints I knew it wasn't going to happen. Still, I felt so much better in mile 3 that my spirits were upbeat, and I jogged most of the .10 of the mile left to cross the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

Do a better job of warming up and stretching my legs. I'm sure training more, and losing the weight, would've provided a better performance too.
Post race
Warm down:

Did some light stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not doing a better job of warming up and stretching my legs. I'm sure training more, and losing the weight, would've provided a better performance too.

Event comments:

Spent most of my time w/ my co-workers Kelly and Mary, and then also w/ some of my other co-workers who participated. This is a nice event because of the location, which is Bayfront Park and Biscayne Blvd. in downtown Miami. It's always cool to be in the middle of the road w/ no cars, and to see this huge mass of people in front and behind you. However, it was too muggy. For this year, and where I'm at today, I'm satisfied w/ my performance. It felt good to cross a finish line again. I realize what a mentally motivating thing it is to cross the finish line. Its quite a high, and I know how much more exciting a feeling that is when you've consistently trained over many weeks or months just for that brief moment. It's a great feeling... but so totally about the journey too. Thanks to all my BT buds for their encouragement the past few weeks while I got back on the horse. On to the next event!!!

Last updated: 2006-04-13 12:00 AM
Running
01:03:00 | 03.1 miles | 20m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Mostly flat w/ 2 bridge climbs.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-05-11 8:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL
Subject: Mercedes Benz Corporate Run

2006-05-12 5:29 PM
in reply to: #421542

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: Mercedes Benz Corporate Run
I'm so glad you got out there and did it!!!  Great job..evening races are not the best after a long day at work!  now you have your 5k benchmark to race against the rest of the season!!  sounds like you learned some things to do and not to do for the future. 
2006-05-12 5:41 PM
in reply to: #421542

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Subject: RE: Mercedes Benz Corporate Run
Excellent race report!  Lot's of good observations for the next time you take to the road!  I agree with Mimi ... night races are hard.  Glad you had your co workers with you!  It's all downhill from here.  Have a great season!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mercedes Benz Corporate Run Rss Feed