General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Achilles Pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-08 10:00 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Achilles Pain
I need some words of wisdom. I have had a resonable amount of pain in my achilles and have trained through it as i am doing a marathon in 4 weeks. i completed a half marathon last weekend but my achilles was in a lot of pain, now three days later, i am still having trouble walking. i have orthotics that are maybe 18 mths old and will be seeing the podiatrists tommorrow. I am hoping that they can adjust the orthotics. I may try heel lifts to ease the pain as well.. anyone had simialr problems and will this injury be somehting i have to live with forever ?

2004-06-08 10:15 PM
in reply to: #30148

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Achilles Pain

i have had it, although not as bad.  i did see a pediatrist too.  invested in some better shoes.  took time off too...months....i am fully better (knock on some wood please) but only running about 90min max.  i have heard and tried heel lifts and stretching for mine.  not sure if they worked...i think they just irritated them.  it was about a month or two of rest and the runnign shoes i replaced.  what sent it totally away after i was better (still had twinges) is some mild hill training on my short runs...strenghtened them back up.  initially (too early) i did calf raises with just my weight and that only ticked them off too...???

i am afraid your doc will say to lay off if its that bad.

but this was me...perhaps you will be able to work throught this with the right regimen.  a docs opinion will help a lot.

good luck.

2004-06-09 2:13 AM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
I had that a coupla months back...Ron is right....

about the only thing that worked for me was...

R
I
C
E

which means....ummmmm...rest...ice....compression....elevation....

listen to your body.

don't push it

some suggest stretches...but my personal opinion (and mine and mine alone) was to lay off it a bit...

good luck

nt

2004-06-09 5:30 AM

Tunbridge Wells, Kent
I've had this problem as well and couldn't walk for a week or run for a month. It was about 6 weeks before I was back training. I was informed by other members of my tri club that the problem usually stems from not warming up enough and then not stretching before my run session. I now religiously warm up for a minimum of 10 minutes and then stretch before the run session and I haven't had a problem since.

Hope it gets better soon.

Tina
2004-06-09 6:30 AM

Champion

Yup, same here.  It's called Plantar Faciitis.  Mine's not as severe.  I can run and it'll be sore the next day, but then will improve a lot after that.  My doctor is also a triathlete and she suggested the stretching before running as crucial.  Also you should be examined to determine how much of an arch support you probably need.  I went with the hard carbon fiber support that's available at good running shoe stores, but in extreme cases, you might need one custom made to your foot.  Also she told me to be careful with running shoes and to make sure the one you use is for over-pronation, and that it fits tightly in the heel area.  Your heel basically has an elastic pad on it that tends to squish and spread out sideways each time you land on it.  If you have a floppy heel to your running shoe, the pad in your foot compresses so much that you lose the natural cushioning.  Proper shoe fit is critical.

And , unfortunately, lots of rest helps too.  My doc was sympathetic and she did not tell me to stop running, but that I needed to "be creative" with my training and save the tough runs for events that I'm peaking for (my 1/2 Ironman in August).  Try training on softer ground if possible (woods running etc.) to lessen the impact.

Max

2004-06-09 9:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Lakeland, Florida
I am just now feeling some relief from my Achilles Tendonitus. I cut my training way back, both on the bike and the run. I even felt pain in mine while ridding. The soreness slowly began to go away. I feel it now during the end of most every training run and some rides. I ice after the workouts, and stretch during the day, and the discomfort has been manageable. GOOD LUCK.

2004-06-09 4:54 PM

Veteran
Northern IL
I run barefoot atleast one day a week in a field. My achilles gets a good stretch and it feels much stronger. I don't experience any problems with it now. When I run barefoot I land on the ball of my foot, not the heel and that will give you that good stretch and strength.

Mike
2004-06-09 7:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
The rest advice is good. I had my left achilles tendon completely rupture 10 years ago and when I am tired I can feel it. Thats when I know its time to rest the legs for a little bit and go swim for a few days or do nothing at all. Be very careful because it is no fun to have you toes pointed straight down in a cast for 6 to 8 weeks while recovering from surgery. (think callouses on the side of your ribcage from the crutches)

Besides the rest, definately keep them stretched as much as possible. As far as having it forever, the funny thing is my repaired tendon seems stronger than the other one.
2004-06-10 12:33 AM
in reply to: #30387

User image

New user

spot - 2004-06-09 7:54 PM

The rest advice is good. I had my left achilles tendon completely rupture 10 years ago and when I am tired I can feel it. Thats when I know its time to rest the legs for a little bit and go swim for a few days or do nothing at all. Be very careful because it is no fun to have you toes pointed straight down in a cast for 6 to 8 weeks while recovering from surgery. (think callouses on the side of your ribcage from the crutches)

Besides the rest, definately keep them stretched as much as possible. As far as having it forever, the funny thing is my repaired tendon seems stronger than the other one.

Was the rupture from running ? was it sore before it ruprured?
2004-06-10 6:05 AM
in reply to: #30416

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
Actually the rupture was playing basketball and there was no real pain before it. It was tight, but not in actual pain. I have always thought someone stepped on my heel as I made a cut, but the doctor said probably not. At that time, I was not running much, mostly playing basketball and golf.

Since it is happened, I am much more attentive to that part of my body. I have had friends who were aware of my injury start paying more attention to that part of their body as well and at least one I know of has prevented a complete rupture by stopping when his tendon started hurting. It turned out he had a slight tear.
2007-09-22 6:34 AM

New user

Has anyone tryed heel lifts to help recover from Achilles tendonitus? Did they help?
Thanks.

2007-09-22 11:09 AM
in reply to: #975121

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

ybkm67a - 2007-09-22 12:34 PM Has anyone tryed heel lifts to help recover from Achilles tendonitus? Did they help? Thanks.

Yes but I found that they didn't help at all and actually found that my Achilles were even more sore after.  I found easy cycling on the turbo trainer (so I had complete control over my effort) the best cure.  I lowered the seat a little to take the strain of the calves and Achilles too. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Achilles Pain Rss Feed