General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Fort Yargo State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - Fort Yargo State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Winder, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 52m 54s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I was very nervous this morning! I didn't sleep well at all the night before, I tossed and turned for hours before finally getting about 3 hours of sleep. I had a really icky oatmeal square thing and half a marathon protien bar, a can of Dr. Pepper and water. The ride to the park seemed to take forever.
Event warmup:

I didn't feel like I had much of a warm up. I got there, got marked, set my stuff out, went to the bathroom, got my wetsuit on and went down to the lake.
Swim
  • 14m 43s
  • 656 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

I like the clockwise turns becausee I breath on my right and have a tendency to pull right when I swim. I should have started to the left of the pack, but started to the right. I really think I did well on the swim. I just plodded it out and kept going. I turned at the big bouy and the sun was in my eyes. I couldn't see a thing except splashing from the other swimmers. I just kept following the crowd and finally the shore came into focus. I felt great about the swim...when I got out of the water and a little ways up the hill, I looked down at my watch and it said 13 minutes and some change. This is a pretty good time for me. I usually am a slow swimmer. The swim today was the best thing out of the whole race for me. Last year, it was the worst.
What would you do differently?:

I wouldn't be looking at the other competitors. I started looking around to see who I was competing against. I compete in the Athena category and I swear, some of the Athenas don't look like they weigh enough. It is very disheartening to see a size 8 athena in front of you.
Transition 1
  • 03m 21s
Comments:

The transition time is skewed because this number reflects two transitions. My first transition time really was 1:57. I ran up the hill from the swim and got tuckered out and just walked. I think that is what took my time.

I am not sure.

Bike
  • 55m 24s
  • 12.8 miles
  • 13.86 mile/hr
Comments:

I was doing pretty well on the bike, it wasn't easy, but still was holding my own when at the bottom of dry heave hill, my chain came off. Not just a lousy thing to happen, but in a lousy location. I got it back on but had to push the bike up the hill...well the first half, then I got on the bike and got myself up the second half of the hill on the bike. I was already in a fairly poor frame of mind, but this sent me into a tailspin. I let it get to me. This was the WRONG thing to do. I was already having negative thoughts, but this made me think that I wasn't going to make it to the end of the race.

The second bike was better than the first, but just a little. I think I averaged 14 mph on the second while I did less on the first. Either way, it was a terrible bike.

On a good note, I guess having a huge butt helps when going down dry heave hill, because I probably would have had an average of 10 mph if I had not have been going so fast. I was whizzing by people without even trying on the down hills. That was fun. I love my new bike. It is really extremely nice.

I am not sure. I do know that I need to work on the bike a lot. I am weak on the bike. Work on hills hills hills.
Transition 2
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Actually the next transion time I had was 1:18. This is ok for me since I really wasn't pushing it this race.

The next transition I did was 1:24 and the last transition was 1:12.

not much
Run
  • 36m 52s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Well. I was in such a tizzy, I had given up after the bike. I was about 300 yards into the run and thought, I can't do it. I quit. I stopped right there at the little putt putt park and leaned on that fence for about 30 seconds and turned my watch off. It read 47:46 when I turned it off. I turned around and started walking back and I was going to quit right then. I walked about half way back to the transition area a quitter. On of the bystanders who had just cheered me on yelled at me and asked me what I was doing and told her quitting. She said..don't do that! I thought...no, I am not gonna do it. I am not a quitter. Yes this race is going to be ugly but by golly, I am going to finish this race. So I turned around and started jogging the course. I didn't turn my watch back on because it just depressed me when I looked at it. I just walked up the hills and jogged as much of it as I could. I had absolutey NO energy today.

I probably wouldn't have almost quit, and wasted a few minutes deciding to and then changing my mind. I am glad that I didn't quit, but I am feeling pretty low about my performance.

The second run I basically did the same. There was this guy that was with me throughout the race so we encouraged each other at the end. This totally helped me.
Post race
Warm down:

I didn't get to warm down. I basically ran to the tables, grabbed two bananas and 1/4 of a bagel and jogged back to the truck. I cried for about the first 25 minutes of the drive home. I was really disappointed in my race.

It was great to see some other BTers out there...they were great and very encouraging along the run route...was it swimmmergirl? I really can't remember at this point. Thanks!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well being sick for the last two weeks didn't help. Not working out for the last two weeks was a hinderance. Not getting a good nights rest the night before was bad. And then later when I was getting undressed, I realized that I had unknowingly started my monthly cycle during the race. It all makes sense now, maybe I shouldn't have raced, but I am glad that I didn't quit.

Event comments:

This is a difficult race. The course is really tough.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:43 | 656 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: QR sleevless wetsuit
Course: It was a 600m clockwise turn in a lake.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:21
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:55:24 | 12.8 miles | 13.86 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: We did two loops of 6.4 miles. There are about 3 medium hard hills and one really hard hill which I have named 'dry heave hill'
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:30
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:36:52 | 03.1 miles | 11m 53s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: The running part of the race is just crazy. It is 2/3 trail running and 1/3 roads. I do not like to run on anything but pavement...it is just me. I know I need to change my attitude, but I have always been like that. There were trails with roots, going down, going up, down in gullies, around a curve going up a hill with these logs that served as steps in the end.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-05-13 10:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Subject: Tri the Parks - Fort Yargo State Park

2006-05-13 10:40 PM
in reply to: #423160

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - Fort Yargo State Park
I'm proud of you for finishing that race. That was a tough course and you did it under difficult conditions. You will be back in contention again next time and will forget all about this one.
2006-05-13 11:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
It's all over and the most important thing is that you finish the race safely. There are always future races. Brava! Keep it up .....
2006-05-13 11:17 PM

Veteran
Chula Vista, Ca
You hit some rough spots but you persevered. Good job!  Now start getting ready for the next one. It will be better. 
2006-05-14 8:10 AM

Veteran
Marietta, GA
Congrats on not quitting.  I've been there too and know how it feels.  These darn tris can be tough sometimes but they are always learning experiences.  You'll do much better at Mistletoe!  See you there.
2006-05-14 11:12 AM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Great job and way to see it all the way through!!!

2006-05-14 1:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN
well I am glad u stuck it out...I was there jockstrapping 2 other BTers so the way I see you it...you finished something I was too scared to start ...my first tri is in 2 weeks

it was not an easy course!!

good job!
2006-05-14 1:19 PM

Extreme Veteran

Hey Kelly,

I'm sorry that you were not feeling well for the race. Mega-kudos for for sticking with it and finishing the race. I am pretty sure that it was you that Stephanie (watergirl) and I saw with the BT tattoo on your leg during the run course.

Hopefully we'll be able to meet up at future races.  

Again, great job!

Amanda

2006-05-14 2:25 PM
in reply to: #423360

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
am6ja4 - 2006-05-14 2:19 PM

Hey Kelly,

I'm sorry that you were not feeling well for the race. Mega-kudos for for sticking with it and finishing the race. I am pretty sure that it was you that Stephanie (watergirl) and I saw with the BT tattoo on your leg during the run course.

Hopefully we'll be able to meet up at future races.  

Again, great job!

Amanda

Thanks! I tell you, it was nice to have someone say hello during the race! Yes it was you!

Congrats on a great race!

Kelly
2006-05-14 10:19 PM

User image

New user

If it makes you feel any better, my chain also came off half way up heave hill. I put the chain back on and then couldn't gain enough momentum to get in the clips. I scraped up my legs and ground about a 1/4" off of my cletes trying to get my feet in the stupid clips. I actually rode back down heave hill and started it again. The only positive thing that I could think of was atleast it wasn't a punctured tire. I don't even know how to fix one of those.

Nice job finishing the race.
2006-05-14 10:24 PM
in reply to: #423646

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Flounder - 2006-05-14 11:19 PM

If it makes you feel any better, my chain also came off half way up heave hill. I put the chain back on and then couldn't gain enough momentum to get in the clips. I scraped up my legs and ground about a 1/4" off of my cletes trying to get my feet in the stupid clips. I actually rode back down heave hill and started it again. The only positive thing that I could think of was atleast it wasn't a punctured tire. I don't even know how to fix one of those.

Nice job finishing the race.

Thanks! Yea, that thought - at least I didn't have to change a tire - went through my mind a few times. I got a quick verbal instruction on how to the night before, but am not confident that I could do it, especially in a race situation.

As time goes by, I am feeling better about just finishing the race and not worrying so much about the time. I am just going to do better next time for sure.

2006-05-15 7:30 AM
in reply to: #423649

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Perseverance and dedication to a goal through all adversities. THAT is why you are training (and participate in this site)!

Congrats on your finish. Those types of races are the more rewarding ones than the ones you set PR's in because it means that even when times are "bad" you still don't quit. You will more than likely not remember a mediocre/good race in detail, but you will definitely remember this one and learn from it!
2006-05-15 8:11 AM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.

It was so awesome to "meet" you on the run course! I was the one in the orange shirt, and Amanda was the smart one wearing the tri suit.

You did great. You stuck it out and that's what really matters. Plus, you finished about half a minute faster than I did! Use this race as a marker of how well you'll do despite the circumstances! Under 2 hours with four transitions is awesome!

2006-05-15 8:38 AM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
The course was very hard for me as well. Good job finishing. We live to compete again!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Fort Yargo State Park Rss Feed