TriEvents
26C / 79F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 32s
Overall Rank = 231/275
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 13/18
Pre-race routine:

Evening before was probably not the best preparation but it did keep my mind off how nervous I was; we had a movie night and sausage sizzle fundraiser for my son's scout troop. I got to sleep okay but woke up about 3am and didn't get back to sleep. The nerves were bad because this was my first tri in about 2 years - I had lost my mojo completely after returning to work now that my Munchkin is older. It took me a while to re-adjust to early morning training and just being exhausted having to talk to grown-ups all day and use my brain for something other than Lego building and paper plane making.
I got up way earlier than I needed to because lying tossing and turning wasn't helpful at all. I drank loads of water, my guts were typically rough so didn't eat until I got to the venue where I had an Up & Go, thank goodness for liquid nutrition. There were 4 different races and mine was off last so I had plenty of time to get transition set-up, make instant friends in the queues for the portaloos and watch the teeny weeny tadpoles do their race.
Event warmup:

I managed a good warm-up in the water while the waves before went off. My coach has giving me some techniques to get over my panic attacks so I spent some time sitting on the ocean floor and getting my breathing right and had a leisurely swim to settle my nerves which helped immensely. The ocean was beautiful, just the most amazing shade of azure blue and that had a great calming effect.
Swim
  • 24m 19s
  • 750 meters
  • 03m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my most comfortable swim yet in the open water; I was able to bilaterally breathe for most of the way and didn't have to resort to breaststroke at all, not even around the buoys. The sea was dead calm and it was gorgeous looking down at the sea grass and shells but all the fish must have been scared away by the 900 women who'd gone in before me. Halfway through, I realised that my stroke was total bollox and that I was crossing my arms over my head and doing all the things I have worked hard at not doing over the past few months. Ah well, I refocussed and finished the swim, very happy. The time includes transition, as I stupidly didn't lap my watch when I got out the water. I know I was slow, I always am but not too many women in the wave behind caught me which was nice as I expected to get swum over near the end. As I stumbled out the water, a girl from my wave caught my hand and said "come on, we green caps have got to keep together", it was a lovely thing to do and typical of the Women's Tri.
What would you do differently?:

Need to work on getting good technique second nature and not resorting to my default poor stroke when stressed. Different sunblock - the stuff I used all came off in the water - so much for 2 hours water resistant - I got a bit burnt.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

quick, easy transition

nothing
Bike
  • 52m 16s
  • 21 kms
  • 24.11 km/hr
Comments:

I was a bit worried about the bike leg as the course is pretty hilly and I hadn't done enough hills in training but I needn't have worried, I flew along having a great time. This is the first time I've raced on my new carbon bike, Eddie, and she did me proud with me gaining lots of time on the same course 2 years ago. I've also been bike-commuting everyday some of which is done with an 8 year old who stops to rescue snails, clap dogs and chat to the neighbours. I do have one hill I do after the school drop which I always really push myself along and I wondered if that's helped - I would think so as I commute on my MTB which weights roughly the same as a Sherman Tank. I drank some water, had about half a gel and it was pretty uneventful apart from the turnarounds where everyone slowed down way too much and way too far ahead so that those of us who can do speedy turns had to resist the temptation (though some didn't) to do some cheeky overtaking at the hairpins.

nothing, I was really pleased with how it went
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

very quick, put socks on as I'd developed a blister when I'd tried running without earlier in the week

shoes that don't rub? It's only a saving of a few seconds so I'm quite happy putting socks on
Run
  • 30m 57s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 11s  min/km
Comments:

The run was almost exactly the same as last time to within a few seconds, although I didn't stop for a pee so in reality, I was running a bit slower. I had done quite a few Saturday morning bricks with the club before the last tri but not this time. I did my usual geriatric shuffle, passing some girls and some passing me. The aid stops were always very welcome as it was getting hot and there is not a bit of shade on the run and the route is as boring as batsh!t - through the dunes and back. Coming down the chute is always a great moment; I got my medal and slunk off for a cup of tea.

I could have pushed the pace a bit more, something I need to work on in training.
Post race
Warm down:

I didn't do any stretching, just wandered about looking at the Expo feeling pleased with myself at my new PB. Had my tea (grossly overpriced, $5 for a cuppa? that is taking the mickey, shame on you Mr coffee van man) and some gym bars I'd brought with me - the only fruit available was bananas and I can't eat them. The queue for massages was long so I gave that a miss.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of natural ability and a tendancy to train at a slow pace. I know I have to push myself more in training and it's something I'm working on.

Event comments:

This is always a glorious event,well run and with a great atomosphere. The crowd was very supportive right up until the last girl got cheered home. (This was her 2nd tri, the 1st had been the day before and she had lost 35kg in the 9 months she was training). Again, the event's charity was the Esther Foundation, which helps young women who have had problems with addiction, depression and domestic violence, and exercise is part of the recovery programme so the women who had raced told us their stories and it was humbling and inspiring stuff. The final presentation was the spot prize of a $2000 bike and it went to a teenager who had borrowed a bike for the race so we all cheered at such a fitting end to a gorgeous morning. I phoned home to tell them I had done okay and when I got there, my son had set-up a pink race tape to run through with "Well done Mum" written on it and he'd made me a trophy. Best part of the day :-).

Last updated: 2012-01-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:19 | 750 meters | 03m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 0/275
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: long rectangle parallel to beach. changed this year to give us more protection from the wind and also to keep us in shallow water due to recent shark attack
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 23C / 73F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:52:16 | 21 kms | 24.11 km/hr
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:57 | 05 kms | 06m 11s  min/km
Performance:
Course: out and back through the dunes, very dull route
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-02-26 8:21 PM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Subject: Women's Triathlon - Long Course

2012-02-26 11:24 PM
in reply to: #4067515

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: RE: Women's Triathlon - Long Course
WELL DONE! What an awesome race. You did so well in the open water - you're getting better and better! Great job getting out there and still doing triathlons - I know all about how hard it is to combine work, mothering, wifeing and training! Good work
2012-02-27 4:10 AM
in reply to: #4067515

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Women's Triathlon - Long Course

What a great great report, Gwen!  I can imagine being there with the way you've described everything.

So proud of what you've done since your last race.  Great job on the swim - the lessons seem to be working, and the run will come back now you know you have to push more

Oh, if all your training is 'at a slow' pace, I reckon you should sign up for an IM... All my training is at a slow pace too

Great great job!  Go and have a well-earned rest.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Women's Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed