USRA
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 26m 23s
Overall Rank = 9/382
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

ive been spending a lot of time with a group of 3 guys who are training for boston, and together, we have been doing some pretty amazing runs, including an 8 mile tempo run last wed. the only aspect of the training plan that i am opting out of are the runs longer than 14 miles. no need for me to do 18/20 mile runs.

so, i decided that a early season test would be a good indicator on how my running was going. and figured that a 125 would be a good goal to shoot for, 630 pace, also over a 5 minute pr from my last half marathon (08)
Event warmup:

2x trips to the porta johns

mile warm up, chose to wear tights, t shirt with arm warmers, hat and gloves. very good choices, considering the wind was really rippin, also, had about half of a kona blast gel (powerbar)

Run
  • 1h 26m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

before the start rob and i decided to just take it slow and build to our race tempo, which sounded good to a group of 4 of us on the line. start at 640s and build. well, first mile was 609, and at one point i saw we were avg 550. ok not to plan, but it really didn't feel bad.

luckily the 2nd mile was right where i wanted it 625, and so the race began. rob, myself and kevin all bunched together behind javin berg and another runner, and the overall first female. i was cruising, and felt great. every mile was dead on pace, and i wasn't hurting too bad/at all, breathing was under control and i was ready for a 125.

miles 4/5/6 were on a dike by the river and into a gusty head wind, but i took the riens, watching my garmin, and powered our little group onwards, i didn't want us to miss our goals b/c of wind, so i pushed the pace everytime i saw it get above 630

by now our group had grown to the size of 5 and we hit the turn around at 42 flat. "ok boys, lets do it again", everyone in the group was supportive and knew we were working well togther. mile 7 was decent, but mile 8/9 hurt me. i suddenly had to pee like rediculously bad. i couldn't believe it, i couldn't get it out of my head, and my pace was slowing, from pee! are you freaking kidding me!

i knew i had to stop, but when i did, only for about 45 seconds, i lost my group up the road. fuck. and i was behind the 1st girl as well (which doesn't bother me, except i knew i had lost my goal time)

i pushed the pace and caught the girl, and tried to pass her, but she cut me off. ok. ill back off and wait for the downhill, nope, cut off again, ok...this is getting annoying, we have 5k left, this isn't the 800 lady!

i finally got past her, and i heard her get in my draft, which i couldn't care less about, "you can stay there as long as you want, but im gonna pick it up and catch those guys ahead" she just grunted.

the last 5k was into a stiff head wind, and i felt that i could run harder, but it wasn't paying off speed wise. i would bust my ass for a good half mile, and the pace would be 640, when it felt like 615 effort. but i was slowly catching the guys infront, but i knew i wouldn't be able to bridge the gap completely.

the last two miles, i just put my head down and ran, not death pace, but hard. crazy how training helps, haha, i truely believe that i could have run at least 20 miles at that pace today, full mary, prolly not, but at least 20. felt awesome

coming down the final straight section i could see the group of 4 infront of me, we were all strung out, rob leading unknown, leading kevin, leading javin, leading me. we all finished within a minute of each other with rob taking 5th OA in 1:25:20, not bad for a 44 year old!

i crossed the line in 12623, very happy, but also a little doubt in my mind b/c i knew i could have been 125 if i didn't have to pee, or if the windw as a little calmer.

regardless, i am HAPPY, finally got rid of the 5 year old PR.
What would you do differently?:

1 6:10.3 1.00 6:10
2 6:25.3 1.00 6:25
3 6:26.6 1.00 6:27
4 6:23.4 1.00 6:23
5 6:26.2 1.00 6:26
6 6:27.7 1.00 6:28
7 6:30.7 1.00 6:31
8 6:26.4 1.00 6:26
9 7:14.5 1.00 7:14 *bathroom break, prolly 45 seconds
10 6:48.8 1.00 6:49 **only hill on the course
11 6:26.5 1.00 6:27
12 6:38.1 1.00 6:38
13 6:44.6 1.00 6:45
14 1:13.7 0.19 6:36

Post race
Warm down:

grabbed some pizza, and jogged to the car to change out of the race clothes. it was windy and cold at the finish line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

pee and wind

Event comments:

awesome race. esp for inaugural event. live bands, pizza, tons of police to watch interesections, only thing missing was hot tea/coffee/chocolate at the finish :)

congrats to the winners at 116, we had 14 ppl break 130 in the event, pretty good competition for the area

Last updated: 2012-02-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:26:23 | 13.1 miles | 06m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 9/382
Performance:
Course: out and back that took runners through town (running on jadwin ave) and then running beside the columbia river. funny, b/c i used to run this route all the time. home field advantage?
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes