Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-12-16 7:52 AM
in reply to: #4536739

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Testosterone Supplements

tkos - 2012-12-16 8:09 AM It isn't a doctor's exemption you need. It is an exemption from USAT. Get your TUE and race if you wish to take the supplement. 

It's not USAT that issues the TUE.  It's USADA. 

To put it into perspective.  USAT would be your state gov't.  USADA would be the Federal Gov't. 

TX_TRIron:  I'm sorry that you feel your passions over-rule the RULES of the sport in which you want to participate.  You can attempt to rationalize it anyway you want, but as soon as someone is taking T without a TUE (not a doctor's note) they are a cheat and more importantly a doper.

No one is going to tell you how to live your life, but if you feel that taking T is going to make it better, than by all means PLEASE do.  Quality of life is priority.  But don't dare sign up for a race while on it.

It's no different than if I said:  I am not good on hills so I'm just going to do one lap at Lake Placid so I can get my KQ or place higher in my AG.  What's that you say?  I'm cheating?  Who knew?!

2012-12-16 7:53 AM
in reply to: #4068861

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Think you are a candidate for a TUE for Testosterone?

Here you go:  http://www.usada.org/uploads/guidancetestosterone.pdf

Please use this and wait. 

2013-01-10 3:23 AM

User image

True! You'll come across a barrage of ads for testosterone boosters online and on TV. If you're really interested in using them, may I suggest Ageless Male? Personal experience says it's safe to use and contains natural ingredients that are clinically proven to raise testosterone levels in the body. You can go through Ageless Male testimonials if you like what you just read and wish to know more. Of course, it's not a bad idea to do your homework about testosterone supplements and to get a doctor's opinion before you begin any new health regime.

http://doesitreallywork.org/ageless-male-review

Edited by rhondagraymond 2013-01-10 3:39 AM
2013-01-10 9:51 AM

User image

Master

A friend of mine recently looked into getting a TUE. He had consistent low T counts across a few years, as well as a potential defect that was causing low T.

In contacting the USADA, he found out that getting a TUE for testosterone invovled having the doctor submit the test results along with an opinion of what was the cause and why testosterone treatment (or other medical treatments that increase testosterone) were warranted. It can be quite a process.

after tapering for a race, he found that his T counts were up...This is also common for endurance athletes in that regular endurance training will lower T results. I am assuming it is due to training stress.

As to the "low T" phenomena....Dr.s are creating a market that they can treat. I am not saying that there aren't cases where people can benefit from taking supplements that increase testosterone, but I would guess that there are non medical solutions that would help as well. 

I also think that we should have an "all-drug" wave in Triathlon. it could be like this http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/update-all-drug-olympics/1198068/

2013-01-10 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4536756

User image

Regular
NW
Marvarnett - 2012-12-16 5:52 AM

tkos - 2012-12-16 8:09 AM It isn't a doctor's exemption you need. It is an exemption from USAT. Get your TUE and race if you wish to take the supplement. 

To put it into perspective.  USAT would be your state gov't.  USADA would be the Federal Gov't. 

TX_TRIron:  I'm sorry that you feel your passions over-rule the RULES of the sport in which you want to participate.  You can attempt to rationalize it anyway you want, but as soon as someone is taking T without a TUE (not a doctor's note) they are a cheat and more importantly a doper.

No one is going to tell you how to live your life, but if you feel that taking T is going to make it better, than by all means PLEASE do.  Quality of life is priority.  But don't dare sign up for a race while on it.

It's no different than if I said:  I am not good on hills so I'm just going to do one lap at Lake Placid so I can get my KQ or place higher in my AG.  What's that you say?  I'm cheating?  Who knew?!

LOL, No need to go get that "T" level tested Sir.  You my friend are just fine!  Come to think of it, maybe low T isn't such a bad thing. :-)   Thanks for the chuckle.

2013-01-10 1:44 PM
in reply to: #4572351

User image

tamason - 2013-01-10 9:37 AM
Marvarnett - 2012-12-16 5:52 AM

LOL, No need to go get that "T" level tested Sir.  You my friend are just fine!  Come to think of it, maybe low T isn't such a bad thing. :-)   Thanks for the chuckle.

I know yeah?  I chuckle everytime people yell at me while I'm purposely drafting or use fins on the swim.  I don't get why they're all bent out of shape? 

2013-01-10 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4535043

paulieman - 2012-12-14 8:15 AM

With all do respect it is not such a clear cut issue. If you suffer from low testosterone (not just fall below some artificial clinic's measure) then your body is out of hormonal balance and life can be very unpleasant. So if a person desires the same quality of life as the rest of us and takes medical steps to increase his testosterone levels to normal levels for their age then by your rule they are dopers and should not line up to race. I think that is unfair.

Better doctors will prescribe safe medications that stimulate your natural production (HCG) rather than giving you exogenous Testosterone which only makes things worse. Under those circumstances there will be no failed test. But in the event that they can not restart normal production then they should be allowed to race and only be sanctioned if their total levels are outside of normal ranges for their age. (Of course I do not know if someone could dope and then stop and have their ranges normal but cheaters will always cheat).

I don't know anything about this T or TUE crap but this seems like a very reasonable explanation. I can't see why you wouldn't be allowed an exemption if you truly needed some sort of drug. Some of you guys go a little overboard with this crap. Would you appreciate it if you got sick and the doctor prescribed you an antibiotic and then you got disqualified cause it was in your system? likely not. I can guarantee if people have to choose between an erection and a triathlon then our beloved sport is done and USAT needs to just start liquidating assets cause I know the choice I would make!! Seems like there are other forms of cheating that you should get worked up over not this. I'm not saying everybody out there should be able to easily obtain an exemption but realistically if you are an AG'er in your 60's (or whatever age that starts becoming an issue) wanting to compete and you have low T and a doctor is legitimately prescribing something that is needed to improve your quality of life you should be able to get an exemption.

2013-01-11 9:05 AM

User image

Master
^^^^^So who decides when it is OK and when it is cheating?
2013-01-11 10:14 AM
in reply to: #4573661

That would likely be the USAT and/or USADA. Isn't that what the TUE is for? All I am saying is that it should be allowed given there is a legitimate reason for using it. Not your debilitated without it before you get the exemption but a legitimate reason. How do they handle people like me that actually have the opposite problem? I have consistently tested extremely high for testosterone levels. I know this because it is the reason my wife and I had to do IVF to have children. To much actually causes a lot of the same problems of not enough. Do I need an exemption to race? I'm not using anything for supplements other than a multivitamin. Am I illegal? Technically, I'm not using any supplements so I should be completely legal. What if I take/took a supplement that lowered my T levels? I don't even know if there is such a drug but would I be considered to be using PED's even though it isn't enhancing anything? We have doctors in this country, they make decisions. Seems like if a doctor approves it as a legitimate reason or needed then the exemption should be given and then what is a legitimate reason should be taken up with the ethics committee or panel of qualified doctors who deal with the competitor's doctor individually. Either way, there should be a "reasonable" path for allowing people who need it to race.
2013-01-11 10:19 AM

Which brings up a great question for me I guess. If for whatever reason I was ever tested, how the hell would I prove that I am not using a T supplement? I guarantee I will test well outside any legal limits for T levels in a man my age. Yet, I don't use anything!

I would like to say I could provide historical documentation from my/our reproductive endocrinologist that would back up my case but it would be a huge mistake if that was not accepted and/or the cost of me fighting the USADA on it was prohibitive and I was forced into not racing. Cause I know how competitive it can be with everyone fighting to win that 36th place in the 35-39 AG.

Edited by phishintrip007 2013-01-11 10:24 AM
2013-01-11 11:46 AM
in reply to: #4535043

New user
paulieman - 2012-12-14 6:15 AM

Better doctors will prescribe safe medications that stimulate your natural production (HCG) rather than giving you exogenous Testosterone which only makes things worse. Under those circumstances there will be no failed test.

FYI HCG is a banned substance too. Don't use HCG to stimulate testosterone production and expect to pass your WADA drug test.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Testosterone Supplements Rss Feed  

of 3