United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 08m 33s
Overall Rank = 277/405
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 21/25
Pre-race routine:

I had kept my running work out consistent through out this year and I was confident that I could run the distance. I had averaged on alot of my runs in the high 10 minute & low 11 minute mile. My goal was to PR (old PR was 2:18) and avg 10:15 or better.
Event warmup:

It was a perfect weather to run. No real warm up just chatted with friends and used the first mile to get going.
Run
  • 2h 08m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I had done this race last year and it was a out and back due to some damage of running trails. So I knew what the last 6 miles would be. So the plan was to pace it slow and negative split the second half. The first two miles it was all down hill through Coral Canyon Community. They (the race director) had guided everyone to the sidewalk, but that didn't last long as it was crowded and eventually everyone moved on to the road. At about 3/4 into the first mile I noticed my right shoe feeling loose and sure enough it wass untied. I'm thinking "dajavu" last year race my shoe got untied twice during the beginning of the race! So I pull over, tied my shoe and off I went. At one point on first mile my garmin showed that I was at a 8:55 pace. I needed to put the kabosh on that pace. Mile 1 my pace was 9:43 which was a little fast, but it was ok. Around mile 1/2 my shoe goes untied again!! I stopped again and double knotted the laces. Happy to say my shoe never got untied again (just like last year). I slowed down a little @ mile 2 as I was pacing with a good group of guys. Around mile 2.75 (right before we started on the dirt trails) was our first water station. My thought were a little, but I’ll have a cup of water. I get a cup and notice the group I’m running with all completely stop/walked through the station. I pushed on to the trail and was feeling pretty good now. Miles 3-5 of the run is in a nice canyon and all down hill. I decided to push the pace as I like the down hill and I’m passing a lot of people. At mile 6 we are out of the canyon and it’s a slow incline out to the main road. At the main road there was another aid station, I forgot to take my one and only gel out of my pocket(I like to take my gel with water). Good thing they had some, so I grabbed a power gel double shot latte. This was at mile 8 my last down hill and right before our last hill and I was starting to feel tired. Thinking this was the last hill, I pushed it a little harder than I should have. I got to the top and I knew the rest of the course would be mostly flat. But at 9 miles I started thinking that we were too close to the finish line to be at 9 miles. As I got to the 9 mile aid station, I noticed that instead of heading straight to the finish line, we turn left in the resident area and there is another hill!!! It was there I had my WTF moment! My left calf started to cramp up and good thing I had my one gel left. I don’t know if it helped me or not, but the cramping stopped. The only positive thing I had going for me was I was on my way to a new PR as long as I didn’t give up. Since this section was in a resident area, I just looked and admired the cool houses as well as the nice view of Washington Fields. The last two miles I was hurting bad and I kept telling myself I was almost done; just keep the same pace going. I held my pace to the end (there wasn’t going to be any sprinting) and I was happy with that! After crossing the finish line I check my watch and it show 2:08 which was a new PR by 10 minutes!!
What would you do differently?:

Hydrate better. Check the course, so wouldn't have any surprises during the run.
Post race
Warm down:

None. Had a couple cups of gatorade and slice bread. Besides being tired, I felt good after the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My weight.

Event comments:

Well run race! Course is fast and scenery is beautiful. Great volunteers and love the finisher medal. They give out running short instead of tech shirts. That didn't work out for the guys, but for the women it looked good.

Last updated: 2012-01-03 12:00 AM
Running
02:08:33 | 13.1 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 0/405
Performance: Good
mile 1 = 9:43 2 = 10:16 3 = 10:09 4 = 9:31 5 = 9:30 6 = 10:20 7 = 10:18 8 = 9:14 9 = 10:05 10 = 11:03 11 = 9:51 12 = 9:42 13 = forgot to stop watch?!?! Actually I cross the finish line at 12.91 miles on my garmin?!?!
Course: Its a point to point race with couple nice down hills and rollers. In some of the section were dirt trails about a mile or two and the rest were all pave road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-02-29 11:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Dog Town Half Marathon

2012-02-29 11:29 AM
in reply to: #4072802

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Dog Town Half Marathon
Great job!  Way to crush last years time!
2012-03-01 7:13 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine

Great job - it's always nice to see returns on all that hard work.

About those laces - they have speed laces (Yankz) for a reason ;-)

2012-03-01 7:47 AM
in reply to: #4074473

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Congrats on crushing your PR and your goal!  Yeah, double-knotting is your friend...
2012-03-05 3:10 AM

The post is really very amazing,i read your post and i felt sad that i missed this trip.

I was busy in watching soccer.that is also very interesting.

Football League in Asia

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dog Town Half Marathon Rss Feed