Team Machine
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 16m 13s
Overall Rank = 38/50
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 8/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:30, took shower. MAde coffee, ate 1 bowl of oatmel and 1 mini-bagel with cream cheese. Stuff was already packed, just getting ready leave. Stretched at home for about 30 minutes. Just trying to visualize race
Event warmup:

Stretching, did a little run about 500 yards maybe 1000 yards. Went to water and did a 250 yard pre-swim. Lot's more stretching.
Swim
  • 32m 19s
  • 1560 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

Considering my start, I had a kick but swim. It was my PB. I felt really good and my navagation was better. I started and stayed on the outside and things just worked better. One problem I had was I went and bought a new pair of goggles the week prior and swam in them once. When I went to the water and got in they were somewhat loose. Time was about to start and I didn't want to screw up so I did not adjust them. Well that was a big mistake. For the first 200 yards I had water coming in and I was trying to get it out. After all this failed, I just open the goggles up, let all the water come in and I swam the whole dang course with water in my goggles. I would rather have water full goggles than half-full. Anyway still a good swim for me.
What would you do differently?:

Can't! I say Can't!! Can't try new equipment the day of race and right before the start. should have taken the time to adjust goggles. Everything else I would not change.
Transition 1
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

I wasn't trying to make a killer time on T1. THis was my first OLY so I was trying to just do right and make sure my dang helmut was on.

Not much as of right now. Maybe more as I learn more and compete more.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 21s
  • 25.2 miles
  • 17.93 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, things really started to go down hill here. About 3.5 miles into race, my chain froze up as I was switching gears. I got off my bike (10 people passed me) and tried to fix it. I got it into one ring on the front and about 3 gears on the back. That's all that would work. SO my hills were very brutal. No Higher gear (granny) or whatever you call it. Just one dang gear. Course was great, hilly and challenging

Get a new bike, don't oil then use a rag the night before the race. Didn't even try and switch gears during oiling the prior night.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

T2 was better than T1. I actually passed one person that was a head of me pretty good. No compliants on T2 transition

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 16m 12s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, here is where I got my ass kicked. Guys, I just couldn't run. I drank to much adn wanted to throw up. I over hydrated on the bike and during T2. I just kept thinking that I was feeling to good that I must be needing some water. I just wasn't thinking. I should have gone in the woods and trew up, I probably would have felt better. My lungs have not hurt this much in I don;t know how long. I could not take deep breaths. In fact I hurt for about 4 hours after race. I couldn't laugh nor take deep breaths. I don't know what it was, but I don't want to feel it again.

Less hydration on T2, less Hydration on the bike in prep for run. Practice more interval for sure. I had no leg or lung power.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around and drinking some water and gatoraid.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Prior training. Just need more time. This wasn't about a finishing time, I just wanted to finish. But then again, I wanted to do a lot better. I just couldn't go.

Event comments:

Fantastic race. I just didn't do well, except I did finish, which is all I really wanted to do. The race will become very well known in the future as one of the hardest and most challenging OLY's int five state area. I will do better next year!

Last updated: 2006-03-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:19 | 1560 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/
Overall: 12/50
Performance: Good
Suit: Wet-Suit was allowed
Course: Some kinda Rectangle in Lake Norrell
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:13
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:24:21 | 25.2 miles | 17.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/50
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Very hilly out and back! Roads were O.K., some rough patches, but overall very, very challenging
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:16:12 | 06.21 miles | 12m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/50
Performance: Bad
Course: The absolute hardest run I have ever done. Brutal hills. All hills, nothing flat. 3.1 out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %5 lbs
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-05-15 10:58 PM

User image

Subject: Arkanthaw 2006 Triathlon

2006-05-16 4:43 AM
in reply to: #424735

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Arkanthaw 2006 Triathlon
Great job on a tough course Tom. Bring on the next one!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Arkanthaw 2006 Triathlon Rss Feed