Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2013-09-02 3:31 PM
in reply to: bootygirl

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: The BT Garden Thread
Originally posted by bootygirl Let the preserving begin. Big pot of ratatouille on the Steve for the freezer.

Farmers market California peaches + my basil + ginger + coriander + some lovin' care = 7 jars of preserves.

Absofreakinlutely  awesome!  I have never thought of putting basil in my preserves.  That sounds yum!  What else do you put up?

I'd love to offer some insight on the aphids, but I have none--hoping someone else will :)

2013-09-02 8:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Reno
I stick mainly to condiments and pickles. My husband says I need a 12 step plan. I do most things in small batches - rarely anything bigger than my 6 qt sauce pan can can cook up

you know what my friends, family, coworkers get at christmastime, whether they want it or not.

Over the last few years:

Tomato basil Jam (meh)

Green tomato chutney - I have tried this a few ways and really liked the one I did with sliced lemon, rind and all

a beet and horseradish relish which was really good with ham

pickled zucchini

Italian farmhouse Pickled green tomatoes (those are really good!)

Pickled beets - often with onion.

Indian eggplant pickle (I was afraid of that one health wise - didn't seem like enough acid for hot water bath canning, so I gave it all away and told people to eat it right away)

Indian lemon pickle (enough acid, salt, sugar and red pepper to survive forever! I miss my potted citrus)

Salsa - I welcome a good recipe here , mine are ok, and one was so hot I should make people sign a waiver before eating it

cherry bomb pickled pepper relish (OMG, that is good - making that next week or so.)

Habanero infused cooking oil (Mr Booty uses that and I planted 4 habanero bushes this year for him)

Sweet BBQ relish (zucchini, onion, corn, red pepper) which kids love on burgers and hot dogs

sauce and chutney, but my friend with the apple tree moved, so unsure of my free apple source this year.

freeze ratatouille

Pepper jellies - I have been creative with these and they make good glazes for pork tenderloin and chicken

were about to travel and I had 2 pineapples that would have gone bad, so I made pineapple jam one year - another good glaze maker. I put coriander in it

accident - I was making a cranberry-pomegranate sauce for thanksgiving dinner and I was doubling the recipe. I wound up quadrupling the sugar so I had to get more fruit, so I canned half (that stuff rocked, so it was a happy accident).

Pickled cherry tomatoes in a fancy Chardonnay vinegar and tarragon (expensive vinegar, but I reuse it when the tomatoes are done in salad dressings and marinades)

Good lord - I should write a food blog "Canning Addict" or something.

. Good lord #2 - it's exhausting to put in that many "< p > " for such a list to make the formatting right on a list like that.....

Edited by bootygirl 2013-09-02 8:38 PM

2013-09-02 8:33 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Elite
Reno
Originally posted by switch[/

I'd love to offer some insight on the aphids, but I have none--hoping someone else will

I have been using a good stream of water and my fingers on the kale to good effect. The tomatoes have had to get my neem + doc bonner peppermint soap recipe. I still blame the new fence.

2013-09-02 8:58 PM
in reply to: bootygirl

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by bootygirl I stick mainly to condiments and pickles. My husband says I need a 12 step plan. I do most things in small batches - rarely anything bigger than my 6 qt sauce pan can can cook up

you know what my friends, family, coworkers get at christmastime, whether they want it or not.

Over the last few years:

Tomato basil Jam (meh)

Green tomato chutney - I have tried this a few ways and really liked the one I did with sliced lemon, rind and all

a beet and horseradish relish which was really good with ham

pickled zucchini

Italian farmhouse Pickled green tomatoes (those are really good!)

Pickled beets - often with onion.

Indian eggplant pickle (I was afraid of that one health wise - didn't seem like enough acid for hot water bath canning, so I gave it all away and told people to eat it right away)

Indian lemon pickle (enough acid, salt, sugar and red pepper to survive forever! I miss my potted citrus)

Salsa - I welcome a good recipe here , mine are ok, and one was so hot I should make people sign a waiver before eating it

cherry bomb pickled pepper relish (OMG, that is good - making that next week or so.)

Habanero infused cooking oil (Mr Booty uses that and I planted 4 habanero bushes this year for him)

Sweet BBQ relish (zucchini, onion, corn, red pepper) which kids love on burgers and hot dogs

sauce and chutney, but my friend with the apple tree moved, so unsure of my free apple source this year.

freeze ratatouille

Pepper jellies - I have been creative with these and they make good glazes for pork tenderloin and chicken

were about to travel and I had 2 pineapples that would have gone bad, so I made pineapple jam one year - another good glaze maker. I put coriander in it

accident - I was making a cranberry-pomegranate sauce for thanksgiving dinner and I was doubling the recipe. I wound up quadrupling the sugar so I had to get more fruit, so I canned half (that stuff rocked, so it was a happy accident).

Pickled cherry tomatoes in a fancy Chardonnay vinegar and tarragon (expensive vinegar, but I reuse it when the tomatoes are done in salad dressings and marinades)

Good lord - I should write a food blog "Canning Addict" or something.

. Good lord #2 - it's exhausting to put in that many "< p > " for such a list to make the formatting right on a list like that.....

AWESOME!  Love the combos you've done, so creative. 

I only have one question: how do I get myself on the Christmas list?

2013-09-03 6:26 AM
in reply to: 0

New user
Originally posted by bootygirl

Originally posted by switch[/

I'd love to offer some insight on the aphids, but I have none--hoping someone else will

I have been using a good stream of water and my fingers on the kale to good effect. The tomatoes have had to get my neem + doc bonner peppermint soap recipe. I still blame the new fence.

Aphids are tough because they are all females. Seriously, they are and some born pregnant, which allows them to multiply so fast as we all know. Small plot, tough plants can be removed with a strong stream of water but for larger infestations, insecticides will be required. As far as natural controls, there is a parasitic wasp, but at least in my experience they are never around in significant numbers and there is a fungus that will take them out. They fungus will usually show up at some point, but the population of aphids has to be quite high for it to spread, usually more than we like to tolerate. As a side, ants love aphids, not to eat but to take care of. Ants will stroke the aphids to get them to produce more honey dew.

Edited by NXS 2013-09-03 6:28 AM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The BT Garden Thread Rss Feed  

of 14