General Discussion Race Reports! » PlayTri Triathlon - Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

PlayTri Triathlon - Olympic Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lavon Lake, Texas
United States
PlayTri
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 41m 56s
Overall Rank = 104/121
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:30am, two energy bars (Zone Perfect), crunches to get the blood flowing, and water - first race so a bit anxious/excited
Event warmup:

Got wet, swam a few meters, stretched
Swim
  • 34m 54s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

First long open water swim so I did great by finishing! :)
Going out was good, able to swim with head down, sighting every 6 strokes on the left side after breathing
Coming back the waves were in my face, I couldn't see the final buoy and managed to get off course and actually strayed into the path of the next wave of swimmers!
I cramped in my right leg after doing breast stroke to get my bearings
What would you do differently?:

Follow the pack! As I'm not going to be the first one out, I'd do better to follow the group then try to see the buoys myself if I lose focus
Be better hydrated before the swim
Transition 1
  • 03m 15s
Comments:

I was fairly tired and disoriented after swim so like some others in my rack area, I sat down and took my time drying off my feet and getting into my bike shoes. I also did not get out of my wetsuit as quickly as I would have liked - the "dance" did not work as well - need practicing!

Try riding in practice without socks - wet feet and socks did not do well at all.
If I am able, I will also try running from swim to T1 and from T1 to bike mounting area - then relax a bit on the bike
Bike
  • 1h 41m 4s
  • 25 miles
  • 14.84 mile/hr
Comments:

I was getting passed like I was standing still! But as this was my first race, I was really taking it as easy as I could, adrenaline rush aside.
I did OK at about 20mph on the tailwind segment but on the headwind, my speed dropped to 12-13 mph and I was having a hard time just moving foward. My efficiency on the bike is definitely in need of improvement

Train with hills and intervals to be ready to handle head winds and hill segments. Definitely need to know how much I can push myself and for how long so I can set a good and competitive pace in a race
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

I was just glad to get off the bike at this point and had to use the bathroom BAD. At least I had added "no tie" laces to my running shoes.

No too much I would do differently. I might try the riding on top of shoes in practice.
Run
  • 1h 20m 57s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 13m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran over half the course without stopping other than walking through the aid stations. I began walking when I came up on two runners who were wanting to go slower, walk, and have company. As we were the last three on the course, I walked with them. My training time for 6 miles is around 60 minutes.

I would have run the entire course just to see if I could do it after a full swim and bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk for cool down - ate a banana and bagel with some water. Should have brought a recovery drink as I've used in training but forgot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

15 years of inactivity and not enough time without illness and without interval training to be faster.

Event comments:

First race so my goal of completion was met!!!
I've learned a ton just by doing this race. Considering that I have my MAIN fundraising race in just two weeks following this race, I feel fantastic about my accomplishment.
Three days later, however, I'm feeling a cold/chest congestion coming on and I'm concerned that I pushed too hard and am paying for it. We'll see.

Last updated: 2006-05-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:54 | 1640 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 96/121
Performance: Average
Suit: TNT Orca wet suit/full sleeve
Course: One loop in Lake Lavon
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:15
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:41:04 | 25 miles | 14.84 mile/hr
Overall: 101/121
Performance:
5 lap single loop course - hr at 150 on outgoing - 171+ when returing into the wind
Wind: Headwind
Course: 5 lap looping course
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:20:57 | 06.21 miles | 13m 02s  min/mile
Overall: 102/121
HR was up and around 145 - 155 depending on hill
Course: Very hilly road course
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-17 10:14 PM

User image

New user

Subject: PlayTri Triathlon - Olympic Triathlon

2006-05-18 9:11 AM
in reply to: #426993

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: PlayTri Triathlon - Olympic Triathlon
WAY TO GO!

Sounds like it was a bit of a struggle in some parts... but you made it through!

GOOD JOB!

2006-06-07 7:34 AM
in reply to: #427222

User image

New user

Subject: RE: PlayTri Triathlon - Olympic Triathlon
Thank you very much for the post! One aspect of tri that I have come to like already is the encouragement by so many during training and the race itself - great enthusiasm!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » PlayTri Triathlon - Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed