US Road Sports -- Georgia
63F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 10s
Overall Rank = 218/9067
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 15/522
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5am, knocked around the house - did a little dynamic warmup and ate a banana. Headed over to Joy's just a few minutes after 6am. Shhhhhhhh - don't tell anyone - if you have someone to drop you off you can drive right to the starting line. Since Jennifer decided not to run (hip still acting up a bit) She drove Joy, Brendan, Michael and myself to the start. Got there 20 minutes prior to the start.
Event warmup:

More dynamic warm up, chatted with folks, went to the bathroom, then queued up for the race 10 minutes before the gun went off. I was in corral "A" so I was right up front - crossed the start maybe 2~3 seconds after the gun went off.
Run
  • 1h 35m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out quick but comfortable, and jumped into steady state zone. On the hills I could tell I was carrying some fatigue in my legs and would just back down a little and increase my turnover. It was easy enough to make up lost ground on the down hills. I did not pay too close attention, but tried to stay in low to middle of steady state until about mile 10, then picked it up on the hills by Piedmont Park. The last couple of miles I felt like I was redlining and about to blow up, but just kept feathering the effort and charged the last mile. The 1/4 miles just could not click over fast enough. While I am not sure the last three weeks of 400s & 800s made me any faster, they sure helped with the mental part of the last two miles.

Official Time: 1:35:10
Overall: 218/9066
Age Group: 15/522

3 minutes faster than last year, but still kinda slow by most standards. I am pretty happy with that time though. Makes me kinda want to maybe aim at a half and see if I can still run under 1:30:00.... It has been a very long time.
What would you do differently?:

Hmmm - there is always something to do better? Maybe start paying attention to the tangents sooner? I always forget in this race until about mile 5 or so, but this is one race where you can really save a little time by running the tangents - lots of broadly curving streets through the neighborhoods - it is really easy to let your mind wander and just follow the crowd, but the tangents are usually clear and you get good open running. If I really wanted to run this race faster though I think I would have to NOT do a week of LT threshold training prior...
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a chocolate milk, towel, and food bag, then did a brisk walk to the Georgia State Marta station, just to get the legs flushed out. A little static stretching while waiting for the train. When I got home Jennifer and I walked to downtown Decatur for brunch, so that added about another 3 miles for the round trip.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't really have any complaints - I planned from the beginning to train through this race so had a pretty tough week. My time was right at 5 minutes faster than I thought I would be with as much fatigue as I am carrying, so all in all a good day.

Last updated: 2012-03-18 12:00 AM
Running
01:35:10 | 13.1 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/522
Overall: 218/9067
Performance: Good
(I had the Garmin doing auto splits, so these are not exactly right, but a pretty good snapshot.) 6:36 7:01 7:20 7:41 7:17 7:18 7:32 7:02 6:56 7:23 6:55 7:23 7:03 1:48
Course: Downhill start, then rolling until about mile 10, where the course takes a relatively sharp up at 10th street along Piedmont Park. This hill is the one that everyone always talks about, but it is not really bad as it rolls to the top. At the top, you take a left on Juniper, and this is the part that bites. Up over Peachtree, then into Georgia Tech, where you get another good uphill pull between mile 11 & 12. Then flat-is to the finish in Centennial Olympic Park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes