BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (4th season) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 188

2012-04-01 2:21 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: Ernesto's group (4th season) - Closed

When can you start mentoring: Immediately. This will be my fourth season doing it, I can proudly say that I had the busiest thread in the last mentoring program out of 40+.

Name: Ernesto/ username: ernestov

Story: I am a very busy person, father of five, work for an oil company and had a short career as a triathlete although a very successful one.

I have been doing triathlons for three and a half years, I race about 10/15 times a year (6/7 triathlons and the rest running races). I have completed two Ironman (Arizona 2009 and inaugural IM Texas '11) in 12 hours 14 minutes and 11 hours 27 respectively. During 2012 I will race Boise 70.3, Branson 70.3 and Ironman Florida where I expect to beat 11 hours.

I was into running casually before I started and a friend of mine who used to be a professional triathlete back in the 90's said to me that I couldn't do a tri so that motivated me to prove him wrong. The funny thing is that he still never finished an IM.

Family status: I'm married to a beautiful woman, Schoolteacher (2nd grade) who understands the sport's demands and tolerates accordingly. I have kids from a former marriage and from this one too. I'm originally from Argentina. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I train an average seven hours a week, I'm very well rounded in all three sports, not the fastest but very, very consistent. I started getting podium finishes lately but not first place (yet).

THIS YEAR'S RACES: This year I did the inaugural Ironman Puerto Rico 70.3 and the inaugural Ironman Texas (full) raced in the heat and humidity of Houston in late May and had a sensational race.

WEIGHTLOSS: I lost 20 lbs in a month when I started doing this, now I need to pull the trick one more time, I gained some weight back, most of it muscle though. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I collected a lot of information (I'm a bit of a geek) about triathlons. I have a very hollistic approach to this whole thing (training/rest/nutrition) and I can put all this very simple to anyone. I've already mentored other people this year and from what I've heard I've been very good, I respond to messages quickly and as accurate as possible. Between my mentees I had everything ranging from a first timer to a very seasoned athlete. Also, I understand the anxiety, nervousness and self doubt that you have at the beginning of this journey. I thought myself that I'd never finish a sprint and thirteen months later I was crossing the finish line of Ironman Arizona with an impecable race.
I'm super passionate about triathlons.

Edited by ernestov 2012-04-09 4:29 PM

2012-04-02 11:02 AM
in reply to: #4123283

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (4th season) - OPEN for enthusiast athletes

Name: Mitch / Username: dangremond

Story: Like everyone else - I am busy.  Between a wife, three girls (ages 13, 9 & 2), a house, a job and a dog I feeling like I'm running on fumes a lot.  Endurance sports have become my outlet that is supposed to help me maintain my sanity.

I got into triathlons about 4 years ago after getting 20+ pounds overweight and realizing that there were triathlons that weren't ironman distance.  My first love before triathlons was cycling - and I absolutely hated running.  I have since become an avid runner and feed off of the runner's high.  My wife can tell when I haven't run for a few days.  I still haven't embraced the swim and that is one of my challenges.

With the little one at home, the last two years have been tough from a training and racing perspective.  I ran two half marathons and a 10-k last year and paced a friend in the last of 3 loops of a 50 mile ultramarathon.  It wasn't until the last half of this year that I began listening to this mentor (Ernesto) and to my body.  My 1st half marathon in 2011 was a disaster.  I was training incorrectly and dealing with injury after injury and an overtrained body that couldn't handle the volume I was trying to throw at it.  The last half of the year I began changing the way I train (mostly run perspective) and really living by the phrases "run a lot, mostly easy and sometimes hard" and "your easy is never easy enough and your hard is never hard enough".  That shift in philosophy allowed me to increase my volume, get back to where I was when I ran my first half marathon in 2008, have a new PR in my fall 10-K, ramp my volume and maintain a consistency in workouts that I have never experienced before.  I have been associated with this mentor group for over a year now and think its a great team with a great leader.  Thank you Ernesto and Ernesto's group!

Family status: See above.  My wife doesn't quite get my passion and thinks I go overboard at times.  As long as my training doesn't impact the family too much she is fine.  That requires me to get creative at times and to work out mostly in the mornings.  I have a treadmill and bike trainer set up in the basement which is imperative due to living in Michigan.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have been working on consistency in all three disciplines.  I recently started swimming again and have been biking 3 to 4 times per week (indoor training) and running 4 to 5 times per week.  My goal is to get swimming to 3 days per week, increase length of cycling workouts (and intesnsity of some workouts), and run 6 days a week (3 short and easy, 2 harder mid-length and 1 long run).

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Martian Half Marathon (April 14), Dexter Ann Arbor Half Marathon (June 3), Motor City Sprint Triathlon (June 17), Run Woodstock (Pace friend in 50 or 100 mile race)(Sept 8), MI Olympic Dist Tri Championship (Sept 16), Brooksie Way Half Mary (Early Oct), Detroit Full Marathon (Mid to late Oct), Detroit Turkey Trot (Thanksgiving).  Full Plate for sure and open to change.

WEIGHTLOSS: In early 2007 I weighed in around 183 (5'9").  I am now around 160 and would like to get to 155. I need to learn to resist the temptation of foods that I know aren't good for me and increase my intake of fresh fruits and vegetables.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I've begun to listen and have admitted that I don't know everthing and a second set of eyes and another brain or two can't hurt in evaluating what I'm trying to do from a fitness perspective.  Ernesto and this group have become that for me and I am very thankful for that.  I hope to continue to listen and improve my training so that I can accomplish my goals.

2012 GOALS: (1) Achieve consistency in training for Swim, Bike and Run; (2) Swim 3 times per week; (3) get weekly run volume to 30 miles per week through 6 runs per week (3, 6, 3, 6, 3, & 9 mile runs); (3) Bike three times per week and improve to point where I am not dropped on weekly roadie group ride; (4) Redeem myself in the Dexter Ann Arbor Half Marathon through running a smart race; (5) Get back to Tri-ing with the Motor City Sprint Tri; (6) Complete my first Oly distance Tri; (7) Give a long hard thought to completing my first full marathon, (8) PR the Detroit Turkey Trot with a time less than 46:30.

2012-04-02 3:54 PM

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House

Looking for a group that will help keep me on track this spring and summer.  Hectic lifestyle tends to push training to the back burner and I don't like it.  Need to learn ways to train smarter and not harder.  Hope you can help.

NAME: GoBlueDDS (Scott or Doc)
STORY: I am from Michigan and have been doing Tri's for three years now.  I got invited (coerced, bribed, hoodwinked) into doing the swim leg of a team tri four years ago (age 38) after not doing any physical activity for many (18) years.  I used to be a competitive swimmer and thought this would be my way back into the sport and into better shape. My team disintegrated around me a couple of weeks before the event and so that race never happened, but I decided that I'd put enough effort into getting back to the pool that I should continue and decided to register for my first sprint tri the following spring. Did three sprints and 1 Oly and HIM that year.  Since then I haven't done as many races in a single season, but I have done at least one HIM each year I've been able to race.  Still trying to figure out how I can find the time to train for a full.

FAMILY STATUS: Married (Liz) 16 years. Two boys 12 and 6
CURRENT TRAINING: Training for a spring marathon (my second) and plus Detroit in the fall.
2011  RACES: Did run my first marathon in the spring, but then chaos at work put the rest of the season on hold.  No tri's all year.

2012 RACES:  Planning at least one prolly two and maybe three Marathons plus at least two Oly's and a HIM

WEIGHTLOSS:  Just happens with training, Thankfully!
2012-04-02 4:02 PM
in reply to: #4125485

User image

Master
gobluedds - 2012-04-02 4:54 PM

Looking for a group that will help keep me on track this spring and summer.  Hectic lifestyle tends to push training to the back burner and I don't like it.  Need to learn ways to train smarter and not harder.  Hope you can help.

STORY: I am from Michigan and have been doing Tri's for three years now.  I got invited (coerced, bribed, hoodwinked) into doing the swim leg of a team tri four years ago (age 38) after not doing any physical activity for many (18) years.  I used to be a competitive swimmer and thought this would be my way back into the sport and into better shape. My team disintegrated around me a couple of weeks before the event and so that race never happened, but I decided that I'd put enough effort into getting back to the pool that I should continue and decided to register for my first sprint tri the following spring. Did three sprints and 1 Oly and HIM that year.  Since then I haven't done as many races in a single season, but I have done at least one HIM each year I've been able to race.  Still trying to figure out how I can find the time to train for a full.

CURRENT TRAINING: Training for a spring marathon (my second) and plus Detroit in the fall.
2011  RACES: Did run my first marathon in the spring, but then chaos at work put the rest of the season on hold.  No tri's all year.

2012 RACES:  Planning at least one prolly two and maybe three Marathons plus at least two Oly's and a HIM

Scott/Doc:  Assume you are a UofM alum?  I'm class of 89!  Go Blue!  There is another person who will likely join the mentor group that lives in Michigan, Jim, who is helping East Tawas with the 3Discplines HIM in Tawas.

2012-04-02 4:16 PM

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly

Name: Joe; username:Joepetto 

Story:  I am age 42 and 2012 will be my third year in triathlon.  I got into the sport after I stopped feeling sorry for myself about turning 40 and not being very happy with my professional situation (attorney).  I needed a kick in the rear so I went out and bought a road bike for my birthday.  Turned out that I loved it and dropped 10 pounds very quickly.  I then started to run and my wife an avid swimmer encouraged me to do a tri.  Having no swim background and what I learned was a true swim phobia (developed after a near drowning experience at age 5) I forced myself to learn swim following the Total Immersion program. On the way to training for my first try I tore my medial meniscus on St. Patty's day and had the knee scoped.  After 3 months of rehab, I finished my first race and was hooked.  Year 1 finished with an Oly and a half marathon.  Year 2 was about taking on new challenges.  I completed the Eagleman HIM in June.  Having heard it was a notoriously hot race, I was not fully prepared for what awaited me on race day.  Water temp was 83 degrees and the run was hot humid and no shade.  I set a goal of going sub 5:30 and I came in at 5:37. A lot of things went well that day - held 21 mph on the bike and a lot things went wrong - long tough run.  However, I knew something else was up.  I have had a mild form of ulcerative colitis since my 20s and have kept it under control with meds.  About two weeks before the race I had a relapse that would not react to the meds.  As I later found out after a colonoscopy, the colitis had moved to a new location and had gotten much worse.  Besides causing the lining of the colon to bleed, colitis causes all kinds of GI issues and makes the absorption of nutrition more difficult.  I'm really curious as to what impact the colitis had on my race day performance.  With some new meds, I got the thing under control and ran a couple of more tris in 2011 and completed my first fully marathon, which I failed to meet my goal of 3:40 by 7 minutes.  I'm getting ready for 2012!!!

Family: Married 14 years to my best friend and two great girls - ages 8 and 11.  I'm in big trouble when they become teenagers.  They are amazingly supportive and nothing is better than seeing them at the finish line or in transition.  

Current Training: Time to HTFU, 10 weeks until my A race.  12-14 hrs of training per week.

2012 Races: Duathlon on 4/7, Broadt Street Run (10 miler) Eagleman 70.3 (June), August Olympic distance tri Fall Marathon, assorted road races (5K, 10K, 10 miler), and a couple of TBD sprints.

Weight Loss:  When I started the journey I weighed 183 (am 5' 9").  I'm down to about 160 in the offseason and race at 153-155.  

What Makes Me a Good Mentee: I take coaching and criticism very well and am always willing to learn.  I'm also a typical type A personality that always wants to push myself harder and expect more from myself.  Despite my type A personality, I am extremely self deprecating and don't take myself that seriously - ultimately, it is about having fun!

2012 Goals:  Big picture, I need to be a better swimmer and be more efficient in the water.  I also need to get my long race strategies in order and avoid late race blow ups.  Specific goals: Sub 5:30 HIM, Marathon at 3:35, 5K under 20:00.   

Edited by JoePetto 2012-04-02 5:41 PM
2012-04-02 5:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi Ernesto, I'm in for another round if I may. I'll post up report a little later.

Edited by Matthews 2012-04-02 5:45 PM

2012-04-02 8:18 PM

User image

Expert

Name: user name JBacarella, prefer Jim

Story: I am an attorney. When I turned 39 I had one of those great physicals. I was 30 lbs overweight, had borderline hypertension, and every test number that was supposed to be low was high and if it was spposed to be high, mine was low, frusterated with the news, I asked the nurse if anything was normal. She said my cholesteral was 199. I asked whats bad she said 200. So I started walking and watching my diet and lost 30 pounds, but I was getting bored. I tried softball, but drinking every Thursday and calling it sport was not appealing.  When I was young, I ran a lot. It was a stress relief and I did it just for fun. I never raced until I was 43 years old. I had taken a 15 year sabaticle from all forms of exercise.

Our town has hosted a triathlon for the past 6 years. It includes a sprint, oly, and HIM. I was driving through town in 2009 just as they athletes were transitioning from the swim to the bike. I had all the flashbacks to the world championships on wide world of sports on ABC. At that point I announced next year, I am going to do that. My wife being supportive of most of my hairbrained ideas said  "ok." Then I asked her to teach me how to swim.

I have since done oour local sprint and several running races. I won my first 10 this month (2nd place overall, no shame in losing to a girl). I am planning on doing my first HIM this September. This fall daughter #2 competed in the sprint with me. She smoked me in the swim and took 3rd in her age group.

Family status: My wife and I will celebrate our 19th wedding anniversary in August. We have four children 3 girls aged 17, 15, 13, and a son aged 11.

Current Training: The bulk of my training is done during lunch. I usually alternate between running and biking year round. I try to do a long run and a long bike ride on the weekend. Swimming is my weakest sport and the one that is the most difficult for me to do my training. I have been told I swim like a barge. Most of my swimming is done in Lake Huron from June until mid September. The rest of the year is too cold and the closest public pool is open at the whim of the high school swim coach.

This years races: 3 Disciplines Festival HIM, Willow Run Duathlon (?) possibly couple of sprints depending on kids sports, etc. this summer. Plus several 5k and 10K's. I would like to also do a Mari. and the Witchy Wolf 15 mile run.

Weightloss. I am 5'9" and this morning weighted in at 171. I would like to race at 160.

Why I will make a good mentee: I will ask questions, seek advice, read what I am told to, listen, take critcism, make an informed decision, and try to impliment suggestions. Besides I need HELP!

So, Ernesto, if you will have me back, I would love to be in the group.

2012-04-02 8:42 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
Scott, welcome to the group, we proud ourselves on being active regardless of speed and there's a wide spectrum of athletes in the group. Jim, Matthews, Mitch and Joe, welcome back to another edition!

Edited by ernestov 2012-04-02 8:43 PM
2012-04-02 9:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Name: Matthew

About me: 35yrs old married with a beautiful and understanding wife and have 3 girls and 1 boy. I find it very difficult to have the time to train but my good wife and kids understand.

Story: I have always been an active person playing all sorts of sports from soccer/football to playing 7 years of Australian Rules. I loved running and find it a good release for any stress but got to the point that I was sick of running to try lose weight. I’m not obese but weighed approx. 100kg and 187cm tall. I have always had a goal to get it down to less than 90kg. Purchased a road bike from one of our workers and started riding mid-2010. Enjoyed it and then signed up for the Busselton 70.3. Due to my in-ability to swim I have done it as a team and my brother is swimming. I have completed 3 sprints and had 3 DNS due to the fact I can’t swim and panicked.

Goals: To get under 90kg and to complete the Busselton 70.3. As it’s my 1st I have not set any times aside to finish in as yet. At the end of our season in Australia as yet not sure what will happen next year.

What makes me a good mentee: I have learnt a lot from everybody else and love reading all the stories from other members. Also enjoy listening to the advice from other members.
2012-04-02 9:54 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (4th ) - OPEN for enthusiast athletes

Edited by boxerdogfriend 2012-04-04 8:51 AM
2012-04-02 10:00 PM
in reply to: #4125498

User image

Expert
dangremond - 2012-04-02 4:02 PM gobluedds - 2012-04-02 4:54 PM

Scott/Doc:  Assume you are a UofM alum?  I'm class of 89!  Go Blue!  There is another person who will likely join the mentor group that lives in Michigan, Jim, who is helping East Tawas with the 3Discplines HIM in Tawas.

Hi Scott, welcome, I'm the other Michigander, but not a wolverine, I prefer Spartan Green.

2012-04-02 10:02 PM

User image

Expert
Today I did a 15 mile bike ride at lunch, 47:14. Tomorrow travel downstate and planned day of rest. I hope to get some swimming in this week.
2012-04-02 10:11 PM

User image

New user

New York

Hello,

I would love to join the group. I'm a first timer for triathlons. Please let me know if that's okay?

Name: Mae/ musketeerlady

Story: I'm a law student in New York City, originally from Vietnam, female, just turned 26. I was first introduced to the joy of physical activities during a 100-mile hike around the Wonderland Trail in Seattle in 2008, and decided to get fit so I could keep going up mountains. In the process, I got hooked on running--did two marathons so far--and just acquired my first serious road bike few days ago. But the biggest obstacle is yet open for conquest: staying afloat.

Family Status: My boyfriend of four years is currently doing a graduate program in California. I will be rotating through a law firm's office out in Silicon Valley this summer, and hope to bike down to visit him often.

Current Training (weekly): weekend ride with C-SIG (see below); 1-2x runs totaling 10-12 miles; really need to start acquiring more comfort in swimming.

This Year's Races:
- C-SIG (training series with the New York Cycling Group): 8 weekends till mid-May, 35-65 miles each.
- Montauk Century ride (mid-June)
- San Francisco Marathon (end of July)
- New York City Marathon (beginning of November)

Weightloss: At 5'2'' and about 112 lbs, weightloss isn't a specific aim but I would love to acquire more strength & endurance.

2012 Goal:
- Do century rides, one on the East Coast and one on the West Coast
- Learn to swim adequately for at least a sprint tri
- Do a sprint tri
- Break 4 hours for marathon

What will make me a good mentee: I'm motivated, efficient, open for constructive criticism, and eager to learn. No attitude since I'm pushing to compete only against myself here. Happy to provide tips on marathon training, good marathon travel destinations, traveling in Vietnam, good food in New York, admission tips to law school and the LSAT etc. Look forward to meeting and training with everyone.

2012-04-02 10:19 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Name: Chris / Username: chris2533

Story: Got off the couch about 4 years ago at age 45. Purely bad motives. My wife started to look even better than usual due to a decision on her part to get back in shape after 5 kids, and so it was either be glaringly mismatched (she looks great, but boy did he let himself go) or get in shape myself. So I lost about 20 lbs and started running and doing triathlons. As a triathlete, I'm an ok runner. I can swim, but not fast. And do what I can on the bike.

Family status: wife and 5 kids. 4 girls (15, 14, 12, and 8) and one boy (10).

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now, nursing an achilles injury (don't think it's serious) and training for a May 12 marathon (my 2nd). No biking or swimming planned until May.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon (May 12), Liberty Triathlon (Olympic) sometime in June, Chisago Lakes Half Ironman (July), Maple Grove Triathlon (sprint) Late August. Twin Cities Marathon (October).

WEIGHTLOSS: 186 to 160. Currently 169. Need to lose 5 lbs. When I low carb, I lose. When I go back to french fries and bread, I gain.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: Third time with this group. If they haven't kicked me out yet, they probably won't now.

2012 GOALS: Boston Qualify in marathon. PR's in olympic and sprint distance tries. Good time in half iron.

2012-04-02 10:34 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

NAME: username: jdiis/ first name: Jackie

STORY: This is my 2nd year of triathlon training, now in beautiful, hilly Austin TX.  I think I'm the oldest one on this forum, and I'm making up for lost time.  I turned 59 in October, woohoo, new age group in 2012.  People still keep accusing me of being mid to late 40s.  I'll take it!  Currently writing an ebook called "Fun Over Fifty".

FAMILY STATUS: Single with two grown daughters and an awesome son-in-law who are my biggest cheerleaders besides this group.  Currently dating a triathlete who has been competing for several years.  It's nice to have someone to go to the pool with even if you do your own separate workout.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Concentrating on being more efficient in the swim.  Joined the local masters group.  Also logging lots more miles on the bike.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  I did my first and only HM this year.  First race this season is Corpus Christi Olympic in two weeks.  I'll also be doing a HIM, either Kerrville (1st choice) or Longhorn.  Along the way, I'll be doing several sprints/Olys.  My long term goal is an IM before I turn 61.  I think that means next season.

2011 RACES: A 5K, a 5-miler, 3 sprints, and an Olympic.  Had a couple of podium finishes and set some PRs.  This group has been a big help.

WEIGHTLOSS: Oh, please.  110 pounds dripping wet.  This month I'm 112.

WHY I'M A GOOD MENTEE: Because I listen to what more experienced people say and then I just go out and do it.

2012-04-02 10:40 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Welcome Scott, you'll find lots of good advice here!

Mae and Christine, good to have you along.  Last year I was a complete novice.  Most everything I learned came from this mentoring group.  Ask all the questions you want, I did and still do.

Ernesto, how many weeks until Boise?

2012-04-03 1:17 AM

User image

New user
Austin

Name: Mike / username: mikecdisi

Story: Former college golfer, small business owner, just got married in Feb to an awesome woman who encorages me to keep doing tri's, running, and cycling.  Most of my Triathlon races are done in the summer because I also officiate football in the fall.  I've always been interested in Triathlon and cycling, because being in Austin TX and seeing Lance around town it just grew on you. 

Did my first Tri in 2009 on a 1970's Peugeot bicycle, where I had a girl tell me "wow my grandfather has a bike like that!"  I was hooked anyway.  I've done 3-4 a year since.

Family: Married, with just a black lab and no kids.  We work together in our own business so she loves when I go out and ride, run or swim. 

Current Training: I've been ramping up the running since the start of the year and the cyclig the past month.  Our wedding in Feb put a damper on the cycling.  I want to start a HIM training plan at the end of May in connection with my own race goals this year.  One thing I need to do MUCH more of this year is swimming and I could really use help in my techinque. 

This years races: Rookie Tri May 5th (sprint), CapTex Tri May 28th (olympic), Lake Pflugerville Tri June sprint, Couples Tri July sprint, Jacks Generic Tri August sprint, TriRockAustin labor day september olympic, and my A race of the year the Kerrville Half Ironman last day of September.  I've also got a 10K in two weeks Blue Bell 10K, and I've planned on a half marathon in November and maybe one in August to round out my HIM training...which I could use some questions over

Weightloss: I'm currently 205 up from 193 at the end of last season.  I'd like to get down to 180 or less by HIM time and keep it there for a run at IM Texas 2013.

what will make me a good mentee: I'll ask A LOT of questions and espically about swimming.  I'll give encouragement and ask for it when needed. 

Hope you all will welcome me in!

2012-04-03 1:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
I'm in again!  Will post bio after work.
2012-04-03 5:50 AM

User image

New user

NAME: Alexandre / Username: Sunsura

Story: Im currently 31 years old, married nearly two years to my lovely wife and live in Portugal. I started getting more into sports about two/three years ago, initially to loose some weight, lately cause i just love it. Also had a lot of inspiration from a friend. On the last year i decided to do a 70.3 distance triathlon, with will be my first triathlon ever ( just did a half marathon about two years ago, no more "competitive"  races ). My wife understands my love to sport, and supports me.

Family Status: Married two years in July.

Current Training: Training for my first 70.3 in May, and a marathon later this year. Not sure what races i will get in between.

2011 Races: Just some short racing ones.

2012 Races: 70.3 distance in May, marathon around the end of the year, and some more triathlons in the middle.

Weight Loss: Not my main focus at the moment, i'm trying to loose BF%, and following a nutritional plan to it, and to support my training.

Why i will make a good mentee: I love the sports, i love to get help from experienced users. I'm a total noob at the site, will start to use it to register workouts, and will probably need some initial help to get around the forums / registering stuff. But i'm sure will get used to it in a heart beat. Mainly, i think i will learn alot from the group, and will share my experience also to try and help others if possible.

This is my first post at the site, i read it fairly regularly, and have been waiting since the last mentor program to get more involved in it.

Edited by Sunsura 2012-04-03 5:51 AM
2012-04-03 6:14 AM
in reply to: #4126327

I am in again too please.  Family emergency may interfere with posting bio for a few days.
2012-04-03 7:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
baurryman - 2011-12-20 6:15 AM

Hi Ernesto, Welcome all!

I'm interested in joining this group for the fourth go round!

NAME: baurryman/Barry

STORY: 
 I'll be 51 years old in a few weeks and last year was my first year doing triathlon. Ernesto and the group got me through it with flying colors! I'd like to do several this year and am coming from a running background. I started running  6 years ago and have done 4 (very slow) marathons. I did my first tri (a sprint) in June of 2011, and my first Olympic distance, the Chicago Triathlon in August of 2011, both were slow as is my running but I had a blast. I am a chemist and director of research for a hair and skin care manufacturer and sometimes struggle to find time to train adequately.

FAMILY STATUS:
 Single (previously married). Two adult children, and 8 & 4 year old grandsons.

CURRENT TRAINING: I started swimming almost a year ago to date  and it's definitely my weakest discipline. My goal is to get some coaching his year and get much better with the swimming. I run on average 3-4 times a week (15-20 miles total) and have yet to sign up for a spin class. I do have an old road bike. (Time for a new one!)

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I have done a couple of road races this year so far and am registered for the Lifetime Chicago Triathlon (olympic) and the Bigfoot triathlon (sprint) in Lake Geneva, Wi as well as the Chicago Marathon. The race season is a little shorter here in Chicago.

WEIGHTLOSS:
 Weightloss has always been a challenge for me but I am determined. I would like to lose 20 - 25 pounds this year. (Gee, same thing I said last year!)

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE? I follow coaching enthusiastically and am not afraid to share victories and failures with others. I learn from all experiences.

Edited by baurryman 2012-04-03 7:41 AM

2012-04-03 9:10 AM
in reply to: #4126432

User image

Veteran
clayton
Hi Ernesto and Team!

I'd love to join again and will post UPdtaed Bio after work.

THanks,
Mark.
2012-04-03 9:30 AM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

Would like in for round 2

Name: Samy / Username: Samyg

Story: 43 yr old father of a 1 yr old and a 3 yr old, they keep me busy and fit (taking care of them should be consider training). Born and raised in Venezuela, came to the U.S. for college (Lehigh! After beating Duke in the NCAAs most people have at least heard about it), and living in South FL for the last 10 yrs. Happily married to a Jersey Girl (a classy and beautiful Jersey Girl).

Been into team sports all my life, but very difficult to find the time and place to continue that with job/family obligations. Got the Tri bug in October 2011, did my first Tri (Sprint) in February, and I am hooked. So still a newbie. Was lucky enough to join Ernesto's mentor program in January 2012, and between his advice and the support of the rest of the team, could not ask for more.

Family status: See above.  Although my wife is proud of what I am doing (especially the weight loss), to quote Mitch "My wife doesn't quite get my passion and thinks I go overboard at times.  As long as my training doesn't impact the family too much she is fine". Between that and my kids, I need to train at 5:30 am or would probably not get a training that day.

CURRENT TRAINING: Training 6 times a week, 2 runs, 2 rides, and 2 swim sessions. At Ernesto's recommendations been following MAF (MAfetone) HR training for the runs, and its working great. Began doing bike intervals this week. Planning to add another run during the week, and during the year get some professional swimming lessons, and maybe join a local TRi club to participate in their long rides. My schedule makes it difficult to do anything other than solo training early in the morning.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Club Med Sprint in Port St. Lucie (February) - First Race!. Went well, faded at the run somewhat, but quite happy with the results. Already signed for Spring Training TRi on April 21. After that, Key Biscayne Sprint in June, Key Biscayne sprint or international in August, and closing the year in November with Miami Man International. Fairly flexible, as living in South FL there are plenty of races to choose from. Might add a couple of 5Ks. After the November Tri, will begin training for my first HM in early 2013.

WEIGHTLOSS: Began at 208 lbs (I am 6'3") in October, and I currently weight 193 lbs. Not really that much change of diet, as it was the regular exercise. Would like to stay between 190-195 lbs while adding some upper body strength.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: As a newbie, and with 3 disciplines to learn, I am wide open to direction. It also helps that everything Ernesto has suggested up to this point seems be working. 

2012 GOALS: (1) Maintain regular training; (2) Continue to get racing experience (5-6 races/yr); (3) Complete my first Oly distance Tri; (4) start training for first HM at the end of the year; (5) Do this while maintaining healthy balance with family and job obligations

Edited by Samyg 2012-04-03 9:30 AM
2012-04-03 10:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Hi everyone!!!  I'd love to come back if it's ok.  I'll add bio later and post the 10k disaster as well!  Miss you all!
2012-04-03 11:34 AM
in reply to: #4126771

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

Name: Rachel / Username: chapfallen

Story: Almost exactly 2 years ago my husband came home and told me that he'd had a meeting with someone through work who happened to be organising a small charity sprint triathlon.  He then told me that he'd always wanted to do a triathlon before his 30th birthday (which was coming up).  My response was "what's a triathlon?"  As I was trying to maintain some pretence of fitness for my job, I thought I'd join in with the training (I was "running" regularly, but getting more and more bored, and slower and slower).  So in June 2010 we took part in our first sprint tri.  Really from there, the rest is history... 

Later that year we did a mini tri which, to be honest, was the one that really got us hooked - it had chip timing and everything!  Since then we have joined the local tri club, started training a lot more seriously (when I look back, the training we did for the first one is almost embarrassing), and I have recently qualified as a BTF level 2 triathlon coach so that I can help out with club sessions.  Sadly I still don't know as much as I want to (which is everything), and so will continue to join these groups until they don't want me any more.

Family status: Married.  No kids.  As stated above, my husband (Kevin) also does triathlon, which really helps most of the time.  Bizarrely we still manage to fight over training time every now and then, but that's mostly because I work shifts, and he works long hours, so we have very different schedules.

CURRENT TRAINING: At the moment it's mostly about getting in consistency and volume.  I'm aiming for 2xswim, 3xbike, 3xrun per week.  In theory I also try to do a strength session, but that hasn't happened since about January, so I'm obviously not trying very hard.  I'm really happy with how my swimming is going, and although I'm never going to be at the front, it's improved significantly even with just 2 sessions a week.  My running was the weakest of the three, but really improved over the last year.  Biggest concern now is the bike, although after a few long weekend rides recently I'm feeling a lot better about managing distances, so now just need to make sure I can put it all together...

2011 RACES: 2 sprints, 2 OLYs and a HIM.  At the time the HIM seemed like a ridiculous goal.  I honestly didn't think I'd ever be able to do that distance.  Finishing it has probably been the biggest confidence boost I've had in years.  It made me realise that, like most things, you don't actually have to be talented, you just have to stick with it and be prepared to put in the work.  Hence this year's goal (see below).

2012 GOALS: This year we have entered IM Switzerland, which takes place on 15th July.  That's the A race, and very nearly the only race of the year.  The only exceptions to that are a couple of sprints in May.  I'm doing Ashington sprint, which was the first race we did last year.  I'm also taking part in the National Emergency Services Triathlon with a group from work, which should be interesting.  Once I get past July I've got nothing planned because I'm going to be away working for the Olympics, and have no idea how much (if any) training I'll manage.  Also no idea how long recovery is going to take after IM.

WEIGHTLOSS: I started last year at 86kg, with a goal of getting down to 75 (I got to 79).  I started this year at 82kg, with a goal of getting down to 75 (again).  Currently just about 77kg, and it's heading in the right direction most of the time...

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: As stated above, I want to know everything.  I am the kind of person that believes that the more you know about anything, the better.  I've been in Ernesto's group for the previous session, and not only does he give excellent advice which has given me some noticeable improvements, but the group has also been incredibly active and supportive.  I look forward to the new group continuing that.

Welcome to everyone I haven't met before, and hello to everyone I already know...

BTW, Kevin would also like to join the group again, but is away on business until at least tomorrow, so probably won't be posting till then.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (4th season) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 188