BT Development Mentor Program Archives » STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-04-08 8:38 AM
in reply to: #4128264

Subject: RE: Let's do this thing! StephSprint group OPEN!

Hey all:

Would love to join if you are still accepting members.

This is me:

Mid 30's and just got into the whole running/tri sports 2 years ago. Planned it as a way to get more fit for backcountry skiing, but it has taken on an obsession of it's own. I was also tired of everyone calling me skinny, so I decided to be the rediculously fit skinny kid. Only one sprint so far, but two lined up for this Summer as well as some other races. Looking forward to posting with you all.

2012-04-08 10:42 AM
in reply to: #4136467

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
skibummer - 2012-04-08 9:38 AM

Hey all:

Would love to join if you are still accepting members.

This is me:

Mid 30's and just got into the whole running/tri sports 2 years ago. Planned it as a way to get more fit for backcountry skiing, but it has taken on an obsession of it's own. I was also tired of everyone calling me skinny, so I decided to be the rediculously fit skinny kid. Only one sprint so far, but two lined up for this Summer as well as some other races. Looking forward to posting with you all.

Nice! Of COURSE you are welcomed!

It's kinda easy to be obsessed with a 3 sport, sport. Which two Tris are you doing?
2012-04-08 10:44 AM
in reply to: #4136320

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Spryzing - 2012-04-08 6:47 AM

Thanks Steph

I will be looking at joining as a member - probably silver (has very detailed training schedules)~ but is it the same for Gold?

So how does this work - I just check in and ask incessant q's? hope all is well for you over Easter! Cheers

I did gold the first year, and then scaled down to bronze this year. Look over the differences and see what you need. The logging is the main thing for me. And yes, ask ALL the questions you want. If I don't have the answer, I'll ask one of the many fine experts on this site.
2012-04-08 10:48 AM
in reply to: #4135655

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
making_tracks - 2012-04-07 3:38 PM

Still open? Can you add me?I'm 48, British, a Mum to big kids, madly in love the second time around (4 yrs now!) and work full time.I've signed up to do a sprint Tri with a sea swim in August this year and I'll be competing with my lovely 23 yr old daughter. It will be my second Tri, I did a super sprint in London in 2008.I've run lots, 10ks, half marathons and one marathon.I love biking but had a serious tumble last year and I'm only just back to exercise and I'll have to careful and follow my physio's advice if I'm to be fit for the race.I'm a novice swimmer, I swam my super sprint in open water - the Albert Dock, Thames River using breast stroke. This time I want to swim crawl.I'd love to join you.Lisa

WELCOME! I'll be 48 in a couple of weeks, so... yep. Competing with your daughter, that's so good! I fell off the bike twice last summer and it took quite a while to get the hip/lower back, back in sync... still tough, but the swimming really helps.

Thanks for joining us Lisa!
2012-04-08 10:52 AM
in reply to: #4135645

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
aeneah - 2012-04-07 3:25 PM

I would love to join if still open!!

I have a similar story! I'm Deborah - 49 - 5ft - 128lbs. Never, ever ran before. 

STORY: Just completed my first 5k run last weekend and am sooo happy. Will be doing my first tri on my 50th birthday in July. Love to swim and bike, getting better at liking running. I have always been active: I sail monohulls and dinghies, and I love to skate, but I'm also into enjoying life a bit too much. As an on-again, off-again smoker for many years, I finally became an official non-smoker 15 months ago. 

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married to my life manager who was a runner, but double hip replacements have moved him to him being my trainer, cheerleader, supporter. I am very , very lucky!

CURRENT TRAINING: I train 6 days a week using the beginner to couch program, and looking to transition to beginner sprint program. I am very competitive so I'm not looking just to finish.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Wildflower 5k 4/1; Benicia 5k 4/15; East Bay Mermaid 5k 5/12; SFPride 5k 6/23; California Sprint Tri, Pleasanton 7/28; Thinking about an October sprint triathlon as well.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've lost 10 lbs. but the weight loss is an artifact of the goal (competitively finish in a triathlon!).

Thanks!

Oh, we have an arse-kicker in the group... lay off the smokes forever and you'll have a better chance! (I quite 15 years ago). A 50th Tri is a great idea! and you will be one of the youngest in your age group, so enjoy that.

I started with Couch to 5k, really nice. I think the running can be enjoyed, I am certainly trying! Welcome to the group!!
2012-04-08 10:54 AM
in reply to: #4135505

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
amybecca - 2012-04-07 12:17 PM

I'd love to join your group if it's still open!

About me: I'm almost 32, a mom of two kids (ages 1 and 3) and having two kids in less than two years did a number on me! I decided to sign up for a sprint tri this summer to get into shape, but in the last two months, I've fallen in love with training! I'm down about 42 lbs from my highest weight while pregnant with my 2nd kiddo (and 10lbs since beginning training), and have about 20lbs to go to be at my goal.

The last two months I just got back into r/s and I took up biking (which has never been my thing, and now I absolutely LOVE it). This month I started one of the BT 16 week training plans (the bike heavy one) and I do strength training twice a week.

I'm doing the Iron Girl sprint tri at the end of July and would love some support along the way!

Yay! Love your enthusiasm, and the weight loss success, and that you love the bike! The strength training makes all the difference, in my opinion. Nice job already!

2012-04-08 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4135466

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
DigitalRain - 2012-04-07 11:33 AM

I want to join!!

I'm Shana, a 35 year old single mom who is going on my second year of triathlons. I'm scheduled to race 2 sprint tris RocketChix I which is next Sunday and a super short sprint on the 28th of this month and I'm constantly adding to the list.

Last year I did RocketChix Women's Triathlon and University of Louisiana tri, both sprints. I've also done 2 5ks and 1 10K.

I'm at my ideal weight right now and I'm maintaining at 140lbs at a height of 5'8. Right now I'm battling IT band issues and I go to physical therapy. Thankfully I have it mostly under control but something tells me I will never be able to do long distance runs.

We want you to join!! Hi Shana, the IT band issue... well, do you have a foam roller? Congrats for being at your ideal weight, I haven't been there in 14 years. Headed that way though. Never say never, have you tried Chi-Running?
2012-04-08 11:06 AM
in reply to: #4135820

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
otisbrown - 2012-04-07 6:51 PM

stephsprint - 2012-04-06 12:32 PM
otisbrown - 2012-04-05 9:46 PM Sup Steph!
Dude.

What's my tattoo say!

Hey Everybody.. Here is my bio.

NAME: Marcus - otisbrown Medford Lakes, NJ

STORY: 37 yrs old and relatively new to this sport. I began traing for my first triathlon last year, but the event was canceled due to a little storm. Before that I started running about two years ago to try and get myself healthier and in better physical shape. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: A couple of 5Ks and an aqua run. The aqua run was a good learning experience for me. It didn't go as I was hoping but certainly tested out my swimming abilities and i learned a lot about swimming in race; like make like the turtle not the rabbit. 

2012 RACES:

Eastampton 5k May 19, 2012

Medford Lakes Memorial Run May 28, 2012

Marlton Lakes Aqua Run July 11, 2012

NJ State Triathlon July 21, 2012

Medford Lakes Triathlon August 26, 2012

Medford Lakes Turkey Trot November 22, 2012

Woah, you gotta BUNCHA races! turtle swims, rabbit... not so much
2012-04-08 11:15 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: ADD FRIENDS AND ABOUT SWIMMING...
ADD EACH OF US AS A ‘FRIEND’ SO WE CAN SEND EACH OTHER INSPIRES AND READ EACH OTHERS LOGS
At the top of your screen there is a wrench ‘settings’ click that and then..,
Click TRAINING BLOG CUSTOMIZATION
Then FRIENDS…. Here add everyone in the group as your friend … remember to UPDATE FRIENDS at the bottom. VOILA!
STEPHSPRINT
TD1961 - Tracey
THREEJS - Ellen
OTISBROWN - Otis
OAK73 - Oakey
SPRYZING - Michelle
BSCHUMAN
DIGITALRAIN – Shana
AMYBECCA
AENEAH – Deborah
MAKING TRACKS - Lisa
SKIBUMMER

Swimming. Well, apparently this is the biggest obstacle for most new triathletes. Being 'comfortable' in the water is your first concern. You have to get in, get under, and blow bubbles, and learn how to exhale and not get water up your nose. Take deep breaths and just go down and do it... when all the air is gone, go back up and get some more. Floating is next... there's a relationship between having air in your lungs and floating... take big breaths and float... slowly letting bubbles out. Head down, hands high.... when you run out of air...push your hands down, and... voila! your head will come up for another breath. Seriously. Swimming is just doing all this breathing bubble blowing while horizontal. Hands and butt high, head down (keeps butt up high), and paddle yourself along. It's a lot of moving parts, but once you FEEL a stroke and a breath actually work for you, you'll get it. You just have to get in, get under, and blow bubbles. Promise.

The number of forums and articles on swimming here on BT are innumerable. Search them find them... and make sure to make good use of www.usatriathlon.org also. You are a member, aren't you?

And, of course, Mr. Smooth. Google him, you'll be glad you did.

Edited by stephsprint 2012-04-08 11:19 AM
2012-04-08 2:30 PM
in reply to: #4135505

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I would love to join your group!

I am married with 2 active boys, 9 and 13yrs old. After deciding to lose weight and get in shape, I started run/walking in 2008 with the couch to 5k program. I did several 5Ks, an 8k and a 10K that year. Since then I have done several more plus numerous 10 milers and half marathon and a couple of triathlons and one duathlon. I even did a full marathon in 2011 with a stress fracture. I dropped from an 18/20 to a size 12. Due to my injury, i had to take summer and most of fall off. My weight climbed as my fitness plummeted.

When I did my first triathlon attempt in 2009, I was pulled from the race for not completing the swim in time. I signed up for swim training and did 2 sprints in 2010. I did a triathlon relay last year but I was the biker. When I started all this, I never ran, swim or knew how to ride a bike. It is daunting learning to ride as an adult.

Well this year, I will be turning 40. I have always been fat and slow but I would like to get back in shape and drop 40 pounds over the next 6 months. I just completed the Cherry Blossom 10 miler. I have a 10K next Sunday and a half marathon the end of the month.

I have been running consistently but swimming only once. I need support to get me going in swimming, core and biking.
I enjoy running and biking but swimming is SO HARD for me.

Sorry for the long post.

2012-04-08 3:40 PM

Happy Easter!!

Do you have room for one more?  Please??

So about me: I'm a 32 year old female, just moved to NH last July for a new job after completing school.  I registered for a sprint Tri in mid August (which now I'm worrying wasn't the best choice for a first-time event!), and my biggest concern is easily the bike.  I've been out a few times, and my thighs just burn from looking at the damn contraption!

I joined a new fitness bootcamp in the fall, and I've been going consistently since.  I'm getting much stronger and losing inches, so although my weight is way off from what would be considered "ideal", I'm not worrying about it too much.  

I used to run and did a handful of half-marathons, the most recent one in August of 2010, so I'm confident that I can get my running back up.  I've never swam for exercise, but I'm comfortable in the water and I'm quite pleased with how my swimming has been progressing over the last few weeks.  I'm sure I'll have tons of questions in that area, too, but not as pressing as the bike...help!!!

I hope everyone's having a great Easter weekend, happy training

Edited by Cocashe 2012-04-08 3:44 PM

2012-04-08 3:53 PM

User image

New user

Stafford

I know I'm about a week late to this, but is it still ok to join?  

I'm 34, single, part time grad student, full time worker.  I really try to get some sort of training in 5 days a week.  Doesn't always happen, but I try.

I'm signed up for my first tri ever on May 13th.  

I did 5 half marathons in 2011 doing a run/walk.  

The part of the tri that really concerns me is the swim.  I've never done an open water swim.  I only really learned to swim in August or so of last year.  

Dawn

Edited by fluffyrunner 2012-04-08 3:56 PM
2012-04-08 4:21 PM

User image

Hoping to still join the group if possible.

NAME: Terri

STORY: 43yo, swam competitively through high school. Learned to run (albeit slowly) 2 years ago using Couch to 5k. Completed two 1/2 marathons, two 10ks, two 8ks & one 5k so far.  Struggle to maintain consistent exercise and balanced nutrition through the summer months. Hoping that participation in multi-sport will help with new challenges and goals.  No tri experience thus far.  Purchasing first bike this week (thank you tax refund).

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 boys 23 & 20.

CURRENT TRAINING: 6 days per week: 2 run, 2 weight training, 2 swim/bike.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  Chicago Home Town Charity Run 10k 4/22/12.  Sprint Tris:  Looking at SheRox Naperville 6/10/12, Wauconda 7/22/12, & Danskin? 8/26/12. Maybe an indoor/outdoor in May and September.  Lofty goals, perhaps too lofty.

RACES: 2011 & 2012:  Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k; 2010:  Olathe, KS 5k; Wisconsin 1/2 Marathon; Kenosha 10k, Bear Necessities 10k, RNR Denver 1/2 Marathon.

WEIGHTLOSS: Down 20+ lbs since January 5th.  Another 20 would be ideal.

Wishing everyone luck with their race goals!!

2012-04-08 4:39 PM

User image

New user
Miami

I would like to join your group. I did my first Sprint tri 4-7-12 and had a great time I am hook and want to do Miami Man in Nov.

I have lost over 80 lbs and the last 2 years and now this is the next step for me.

2012-04-08 5:34 PM

User image

New user

Aurora
I'd like to join your group.I'm a 49 year old guy. I used to be an avid cyclist & runner. Then 14 years ago I was diagnosed with MS and the pain & balance issues forced me to stop-cold turkey. 3 years ago I fell in love with swimming and did a 1-1/2 mile swim in Lake Michigan last September without a wetsuit. Water temp was 65 degrees. I joined a Masters Swim class last fall and the other members, who are all triathletes, thought I was one too.That got me thinking, maybe I can be one.I started running Feb 1st. Very slow build up to currently running 4 miles per workout 3 times per week. I bike about 2 times per week about 20 miles each time. I swim 2500-3000 meters a workout 6 days per week. Just recently signed-up for a sprint triathlon June 10th. If all goes well, I plan on doing several this summer working up to an Olympic Tri.
2012-04-08 7:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond Hill, Ontario

Hi Steph!

My name is Nathalie and I would like to join your group.  I will post a summary of who I am a little later but in a nutshell, I am attempting to return to the sport after being busy with work and life. Consequently, I became inactive and gained 40 lbs after Ironman Florida in 2010.  I need to be motivated and inspired in order to get back into the swing of things so in a sense, I feel like a beginner all over again.

Thanks!

Edited by Nats 2012-04-08 7:12 PM

2012-04-08 7:23 PM

New user

Detroit

hey!

I would like to join the group if I could, please!!

I guess I should probably introduce myself! My name is Elizabeth and although I have been working out consistently over the past five years, last summer was a huge turning point for me. I'm in my early thirties, have lost just about 100lbs and have maintained that loss for a couple of years. And when I say maintain, I mean I'm stuck. My body doesn't care what i throw at it, it's just giving me the middle finger and not losing anymore. With that being said, I decided that if I'm not going to lose any more weight, than I'm just going to make sure I'm the healthiest version of me possible. So, I started entering races. It started with a 5k, which was fine - nothing to write home about. Then another 5k. Then a 10k, which turned out to be a 'gateway race.' In the process of deciding to become a 'runner' (I use the term loosely), i borrowed a bike from a friend and  signed up for a two day 200 mile bike ride. In the middle of July, having an asthma attack in the middle of a corn field, I had an epiphany. I was hot and tired and still had 50 miles to go, but I was having fun. In fact, I LOVED it. The hard work, all the hours of training I had done coming to fruition. That's when I decided that if I lived through the bike ride, I would sign up for a half marathon at Disney in February. Well, I spent my winter running and just finished my first half and it was awesome! As I was doing a 12 mile training run, I had another epiphany. I thought that if I could bike and run, I should probably tackle swimming. I had just joined a new gym with a pool and was swimming laps, slowly, but I needed some further guidance and some speed. Fast forward a few months, and I am now on a Masters' level swim team. Apparently, I am going to compete with them in the fall, like a real swimmer! I am brand new to the team, and they just finished their competitive season, and now they're switching over to triathlon specific swim training - perfect timing for me!

Anyway, I am super long winded, but excited. I generally train (run, bike, swim, strength train) about 8-10 hours a week. I have signed up for three more halfs this year, have two multi-day century rides on the books, and I think a few triathlons both sprints and international distances. I have no idea what I'm doing, but can't wait to get out there! I am SLOW, but never compete to win, just to be better than I was on the previous race.

Sorry to talk so much!!!

2012-04-08 8:05 PM
in reply to: #4137086

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond Hill, Ontario
Nats - 2012-04-08 8:11 PM

Hi Steph!

My name is Nathalie and I would like to join your group.  I will post a summary of who I am a little later but in a nutshell, I am attempting to return to the sport after being busy with work and life. Consequently, I became inactive and gained 40 lbs after Ironman Florida in 2010.  I need to be motivated and inspired in order to get back into the swing of things so in a sense, I feel like a beginner all over again.

Thanks!

There's much more to my story so here's a watered down version.

STORY:  After losing 50 lbs between 2003 and 2006 and from then up until July 2011, I raced a variety of triathlon distances, the longest being my first Ironman back in November 2010.  At the beginning of 2011 and up until now, I became overwhelmed with work and life. I also became depressed and began experiencing symptoms of compulsive binge-eating disorder (I was officially diagnosed in August 2011).  I somehow managed to train, although a lot less, and even did a couple of races but I was so concerned with my weight and body image that the last race I did back in July 2011 was a total disaster.  As a result, I decided to quit triathlons and endurance sports altogether. I really needed a break from all the pressure I was putting on myself to perform well even though my heart and soul were just not into it anymore.

Fast forward to March 2012 in my family doctor's office...  I was really sad but not surprised to see how much weight I have gained in not even 1.5 year.  50 lbs to be exact. I now weigh more than the most I ever weighed back in 2003! On top of that, my doctor got really concerned with my blood pressure which normally would be around 120/80; the reading was 136/90. Something had to be done.

FAMILY STATUS: I have a wonderful common-law spouse, we just moved in together last week.  No kids but two dogs and two cats.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have just returned to swimming 3 days a week with the local masters swim club and very happy to be back in the pool. This week I will be starting to train 3 days a week for a 50 km charity bike ride I signed up for in early June. I will limit running to once or twice a week until I have lost a decent amount of weight. I am ditching the Garmin for the next little while as I just want to ease back into the sport and enjoy it without putting pressure on myself. I am also committed to participate in two olympic distance races as part of a relay team with two ladies of the masters swim club for the swim or bike legs. I don't feel ready to go back to individual races yet.  I also have horseback riding lessons once a week and warm down my spouse's horse three times a week after he's done with his dressage lessons.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Ride for Heart 50 km, Gravenhurst and Wasaga Beach Olympic relay races.

WEIGHTLOSS: As per my doctor's orders, I need to lose at least 40 lbs. I am now seeing a dietitian and psychiatrist to help dealing with my eating disorder and to get back on track with eating healthy.

Oh... I forgot to mention that I live north of the border (north of Toronto, Ontario).

Nathalie

Edited by Nats 2012-04-08 8:22 PM
2012-04-08 8:36 PM

User image

New user
Stonington, CT

I’m hoping you have room for another

NAME: Bridget/ Zbridget        

STORY:  44 years old, was working full time and finished grad school last May 20+lbs overweight.  Joined WW and lost most of it.  Had been going to the Y for spinning classes and developed great friendships with the 5am crowd, and started participating in fit activities there. 

I go on a family reunion every summer in the Adirondack mountains in July around the time of Lake Placid Ironman-and though I have never been athletic, I have been intrigued by the fit people in Lake Placid who come to town every summer.  

FAMILY STATUS: Married to my husband 14 years this year, one daughter 10. 

CURRENT TRAINING: Spinning class 3x a week, starting to run on the treadmill at the Y after spin class.  I take a beginner swim class Monday nights- my daughter loves to swim, and we go lap swimming on Friday nights when the laps are almost empty- I trudge slowly and she swims circles around me.  Thursday mornings I take a TRX training class- core strengthening, resistance training. 

I purchased a road bike- it is on layaway, and I live close enough to work that I can commute with it in the summertime. 

2011 RACES:  I have never raced anything before, and will be running a HM 9/16/12 at Misquamacut RI- Surftown HM.  Also, volunteering at a Sprint at the Y in June. 

WEIGHT LOSS: I am within a few pounds of my weight loss goal, but have noticed since I have ramped up my workouts that my weight loss has slowed down, and I need to eat to keep from pooping out- would be interested in some guidance in this area. 

BIGGEST CHALLENGE:  Increasing my endurance, swimming laps without sucking wind or clutching the gutter after one.  Overcoming inertia and staying with it!  

2012-04-08 9:45 PM

User image

New user

Hi Steph,

If you are still happy to take on another, I would love to jump in!!

A bit of history - I've never done a tri before, my first one is planned for late June.  I have been training by myself.  running is my weakest link....

I am married (13 years in June) and have 2 children 9 years and 5 years.  We live in Bali so have no excuses for great swimming all year round.

I have recently ramped up my training coming into my first tri, and knowing running is my weakest link...  anyway, if you are still taking a few more, I'd love to be included in that.

Suzanne

2012-04-08 9:51 PM

User image

New user

Hi Steph!

My name is Tara. I'm 37 years old and I'm a "runner". I have done 7 or so halfs, 3 fulls, 1 Ragnar Relay, and various 5-10K races over the past two years. I decided this year to add triathlon to my schedule. I have worked with my coach for 2 years and continue to use him because he is great and very supportive but I am always looking for all the help and input I can get. I would love to join your group because I think it will be very helpful to me to have another forum where I can get input, ideas, and support.

I just (as in Friday) came off of a 2-month running hiatus due to a stress fracture but in that time I have added swimming and cycling to my schedule. My first mini sprint tri will be May 5.

Edited by frenchiegurl 2012-04-08 10:05 PM

2012-04-09 7:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ

Happy Monday Everyone!

It looks like we got a nice group forming here.

What does everyone have planned for today?  

Monday is normally a swim day for me, but the pool is closed for next few days for improvements, so I hopped on the stationary bike this morning.  I think I am figuring out I need to get up about an hour before my workout to give my body time to wake up. Otherwise it is just a struggle to get through my workout.

2012-04-09 8:36 AM
in reply to: #4137568

otisbrown - 2012-04-09 8:50 AM

Happy Monday Everyone!

It looks like we got a nice group forming here.

What does everyone have planned for today?  

Monday is normally a swim day for me, but the pool is closed for next few days for improvements, so I hopped on the stationary bike this morning.  I think I am figuring out I need to get up about an hour before my workout to give my body time to wake up. Otherwise it is just a struggle to get through my workout.

I have Mon. and Tues. off from work, so I usually get some good training logged. Have yet to get a swim workout in this season. My local pools are either 1. Not that local or 2. Not open yet. I usually get some good pond and lake swimming later on, but April/May is WAY too cold.

Infact, today was supposed to be a bike day but it is snowing right now. Instead I'm going to piece together my bro-in-law's weight bench and do some indoor strength/flex/core work. Tomorrow is my easy day, so I prolly go find some of that accumulated frozen precip.Cool

Anyone have any "out of the water" excercises for the swim? 

2012-04-09 9:28 AM

I would love to join your group!

Last summer I would have told you running and races are not my thing, but I just registered for my first tri! I have no idea what I'm doing and am looking for advice and guidance. I've worked up to being able to run 4.4 miles and have been alternating bike and run workouts as I don't have access to a pool yet. I will be taking a few swimming lessons at the end of the month and I live on a lake so eventually (if I can find a wetsuit or it warms up in Wisconsin) I will have the opportunity to do some OWS before the tri. 

I look forward to your guidance! 

Jessica

2012-04-09 1:16 PM

Can I hop in too?!I am 33, 5'3", 200 lbs (down from 220 in Jan) and a happy member of the back of the pack. I am married but no kids, i have one horse and too many cats. I kind of randomly decided after (mostly walking) a half marathon that a triathlon would be fun and plan to do my first sprint august 18th.

Swim: I swam competitively until I got to college and it is my favorite sport so I'm actually looking forward to it. I've been in the pool at the gym for the last few months and am going to start working with the local masters team next month.

Bike: I have never ridden seriously and it had been years since I rode at all. I expect this to be my weakest sport. I bought my first road bike last week and took it for a 12 mile ride on Saturday. Slow was the word of the day!!! It will get better as I get more miles on my tires.

Run: I started running to lose weight after a friend of mine talked me into the Tinkerbell Half in January. I could never manage to run more than a 15 seconds at a time while training for it. I thought it was due to my weight and lack of fitness but it turns out the shoes the running store recommended were the problem. I am a midfoot runner and the shoes were not letting my feet work the way they wanted too. I tried running in vibrams and my feet were happy but the shock from the extra 85 lbs was going to be too much. I got a pair of newtons and have actually been enjoying running for the first time in my entire life. I ran my first 5k last month and beat my goal time by a minute with a 37:45, slow but respectable Laughing. I plan to run the tinkerbell again next year and decimate my pathetically slow time!

I am using the 16 week 3x sprint plan but since it doesn't start for a month I am working on base building for swim and bike and using Jeff Galloway's 10k time improvement plan for the Camp Pendelton Mud Run in June. I am also doing strength training twice a week.

I have the following scheduled this year:

April-Victory for victims 5k

June-Pendleton mud run

Aug-Hansen dam sprint tri

Sept-Disneyland half marathon

Oct-Hermosa beach sprint tri

Nov-Santa clarita half marathon

Edited by lmatlock 2012-04-09 1:24 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL! Rss Feed  

of 45