BT Development Mentor Program Archives » STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-04-09 8:36 PM
in reply to: #4128264

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Subject: RE: Let's do this thing! StephSprint group OPEN!

Hey there Steph!

Like to stay with the group even though my racing future this summer is looking murky.

Susie

2012-04-09 8:36 PM
in reply to: #4137568

User image

Colorado
otisbrown - 2012-04-09 6:50 AM

Happy Monday Everyone!

It looks like we got a nice group forming here.

What does everyone have planned for today?  

Today was a ride day - and I so didn't want to do it after the HUGE day of hiking my family had yesterday, but I did and it felt good (and now...I want to sleep!).

2012-04-09 11:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Wow we have a big active group here!

Today was suppose to be 10 mile ride to get me back in the saddle. I decided to change my route and ride to a nearby trail. I really enjoyed the downhill 2 miles to the trail. my bike partner got not one, not 2 but 3 flats. We cut our ride to 8 miles since we didn't have any more CO2. Then the long 2 mile upclimb back home. It was still good to get out there and it was the first weekday I have been able to get up early in a long long time.

2012-04-09 11:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Wow we have a big active group here!

Today was suppose to be 10 mile ride to get me back in the saddle. I decided to change my route and ride to a nearby trail. I really enjoyed the downhill 2 miles to the trail. my bike partner got not one, not 2 but 3 flats. We cut our ride to 8 miles since we didn't have any more CO2. Then the long 2 mile upclimb back home. It was still good to get out there and it was the first weekday I have been able to get up early in a long long time.

2012-04-10 5:30 AM

User image

New user

yesterday was a swim session for me - 30 minutes of sprints, including warm up and cool down...

today was a 30 minute run session - also sprints - 4 min run, 1 min walk...  not bad, but definitely not fast!!

2012-04-10 8:17 AM

New user

Hi Stephanie and everybody,

I am Alberto I have been active all my live doing different sports, swimming on my teens years, rock climbing and trekking on my 30', Sailing on my 40', and now on my 50' I am trying to go to the triathlon.

I swimming two days a week, cycling other two and for this moment resting on running, (hamstring issue). I walk any time I have some free time.

I am a beginner with a lot of passion for the sport I am involve on. I like to get out of bed early in the morning to work out. I have a few dreams to fulfill and I am working on that.

I will be happy to be member of the group.

Thanks

2012-04-10 9:17 AM

Hi

I would like to join your group.

I am a mother of 3 kids who before my third was a beginner runner. Had run a 5k and was training for a 10k. Since then I began to train for a tri a tri last spring and loved it but fell off the wagon. I am starting a couch to sprint plan and would love your expertise to help me with my first try a tri I am very excited

I have a 5k in October and the try a tri I believe is near that time too. They haven't stated yet.

I would love to be pushed and help push others with their goals

Laura Leroux

2012-04-10 10:27 AM

New user

Detroit

yesterday was a pool day, for me. I just started swimming with a local Masters' group and to say it is kicking my butt would be an understatement. I am a back of the packer who seems to think I should be toward the front somewhere. We spent two hours doing fly drills, which meant I was frustrated I couldn't do it properly for two hours! Granted, it was my first time ever attempting to swim fly, so with some practice I will get it, but holy moley am I sore today!

I think when I introduced myself I forgot to include races/events I've signed up for. Here's the list!

Disney Princess Half (2/2012) completed. (my first!!!)

MS 150 Road Ride (i'll be doing 200 total) (6/2012)

Ann Arbor Half (6/2012)

SheRox Sprint Tri (6/2012) (my first one!!!)

Tri for Life (olympic) (7/2012)

WAM 300 Road Ride (7/2012)

Swim to the Moon 5k swim (8/2012)

Danskin Sprint Tri (8/2012)

Lifetime Chicago Olympic Distance Tri (8/2012)

Detroit Half Marathon (10/2012)

Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon (11/2012)

yeah.....I'm already tired. And broke!

2012-04-10 11:00 AM

I'd love to join this mentor group. I've never been a competitive or fast athlete but have always been active and have had excellent endurance, whether climbing Mt. Rainier, skiing in Colorado or doing centuries with my women's cycling group here in Montclair, NJ. I am 48 years old, married, have two teen sons and am a women's health and fitness journalist. Cycling is my strong suit and I run about 4 miles, twice a week when the weather is decent. Swimming is definitely my weak spot--I can do about a mile but with an ugly breast stroke. I've signed up for the August 19th West Point Sprint triathlon, hoping merely to survive it rather than clock some impressive time. I guess I need encouragement and advice about the logistics of stringing these sports together into one event, beefing up my running (my knees blow up like balloons after about 6 miles) and getting some sort of finesse into my swimming. Also--I need to figure out how to fit training into my life, and am hoping that another working mom can help me on this front. Thanks!
2012-04-10 11:00 AM

I'd love to join this mentor group. I've never been a competitive or fast athlete but have always been active and have had excellent endurance, whether climbing Mt. Rainier, skiing in Colorado or doing centuries with my women's cycling group here in Montclair, NJ. I am 48 years old, married, have two teen sons and am a women's health and fitness journalist. Cycling is my strong suit and I run about 4 miles, twice a week when the weather is decent. Swimming is definitely my weak spot--I can do about a mile but with an ugly breast stroke. I've signed up for the August 19th West Point Sprint triathlon, hoping merely to survive it rather than clock some impressive time. I guess I need encouragement and advice about the logistics of stringing these sports together into one event, beefing up my running (my knees blow up like balloons after about 6 miles) and getting some sort of finesse into my swimming. Also--I need to figure out how to fit training into my life, and am hoping that another working mom can help me on this front. Thanks!
2012-04-10 2:36 PM
in reply to: #4140648

User image

New user

Erschmaltz - 2012-04-10 8:27 AM

I am a back of the packer who seems to think I should be toward the front somewhere. 

I feel the same way. I've been struggling for the last 5 weeks with really, really slow times (average 2:38 on 100yd) when on Saturday I did catch-up drills for the first time. Yesterday I did 1200 and saw vast improvement: cut down my strokes by 4, and my average time is now 2:22! There is hope!

Don't let it get you down!

2012-04-10 6:55 PM
in reply to: #4137568

User image

New user
Miami
Slow day on Monday to much work here. Tuesday was able to get back on the bike and run to get the cob webs off after  my first race on Saturday. It felt so good to get out and go.
2012-04-10 8:42 PM

User image

New user

Sunday - 28 mile bike

Monday - Tabata strength workout

Tuesday - 1200 yd swim (was supposed to be about 1600 but thunder closed pool)

2012-04-10 8:54 PM

Hi Stephanie! I just signed up for my first sprint tri in late June. I'm really nervous about it. I have been doing running races for about 3 years and felt it was time for a change. I can do the running and biking distances separately but doing them consecutively is a struggle. . .then there's the swimming, which is harder for me. I've been practicing swimming but tend to stick to the breast stroke, side stroke and back stroke. I read on BT that I should do the freestyle....I stink at that stroke and struggle to complete even a lap swimming it. I have so many questions about what to expect and how best to prepare. I would appreciate being able to join your group for not only the support but also for the input and tips for a tri newbie. Thanks!
2012-04-11 4:52 AM

User image

South East England

Learning to swim Freestyle.

Step one - put your face in the water learn to breathe out and blow bubbles.

step two - learn to float face down.

step three - learn the body position

step four practice.

I did my first tri swimming breaststroke.  It was open water, in the Albert Dock, River Thames, London. It was a beginner's event and so there were a few other breaststrokers along side me.  We were slow though - I promised myself I'd learn to swim front crawl

Since then I've had a few lessons.

1.  A one day workshop with Stephen Shaw (like total immersion).  The workshop was great, I definitely improved but it was a lot to learn in one day. I got my face in the water and started breathe out and blow bubbles

2. 6 x 1 hour sessions with Stephen Shaw.  The same as the workshop but with time to practice each drill, the coach is in the water with you and helps physically by altering your head position, correcting your hand or arm.  I learned to breath and get my body in the right position for each part of the cycle

3. 1 x 1 sessions with a local authority kids swimming teacher, she's on the side of the pool and sets drills and gives feedback after each set.  I've been working on bringing the breathing and body position together.

I'm now practicing alone 2 x per week, swimming lengths, trying to repeat drills I've been taught.  This practice is paying off and slowly my stamina is building.  I can now swim freestyle continuously without feeling out of breath but I'm slow.  I'm back next week to have some more lessons with the local authority teacher.

2012-04-11 5:45 AM

Hi,

If i can I would like to join I am doing my very first sprint tri 6/24.  I am 34 mama with two boys 4 and 2 and I am a part time working cardiac RN. So trying to balance life is sometimes hardFoot in mouth I try to swim twice a week and run/ bike the others. I find it hard to really get in strength training with all this. Of course swim is my weakest but I see improvement already. However, I know open water will be a different animal! 

2012-04-11 6:50 AM
in reply to: #4142546

User image

New user
Stonington, CT
erin1621 - 2012-04-11 6:45 AM

Hi,

If i can I would like to join I am doing my very first sprint tri 6/24.  I am 34 mama with two boys 4 and 2 and I am a part time working cardiac RN. So trying to balance life is sometimes hardFoot in mouth I try to swim twice a week and run/ bike the others. I find it hard to really get in strength training with all this. Of course swim is my weakest but I see improvement already. However, I know open water will be a different animal! 

Hi Erin,

Do I know you from another check-in forum?  Are you training for lymphoma/leukemia?

Bridget

2012-04-11 7:14 AM
in reply to: #4136777

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Lovey - 2012-04-08 3:30 PM

I would love to join your group!

I am married with 2 active boys, 9 and 13yrs old. After deciding to lose weight and get in shape, I started run/walking in 2008 with the couch to 5k program. I did several 5Ks, an 8k and a 10K that year. Since then I have done several more plus numerous 10 milers and half marathon and a couple of triathlons and one duathlon. I even did a full marathon in 2011 with a stress fracture. I dropped from an 18/20 to a size 12. Due to my injury, i had to take summer and most of fall off. My weight climbed as my fitness plummeted.

When I did my first triathlon attempt in 2009, I was pulled from the race for not completing the swim in time. I signed up for swim training and did 2 sprints in 2010. I did a triathlon relay last year but I was the biker. When I started all this, I never ran, swim or knew how to ride a bike. It is daunting learning to ride as an adult.

Well this year, I will be turning 40. I have always been fat and slow but I would like to get back in shape and drop 40 pounds over the next 6 months. I just completed the Cherry Blossom 10 miler. I have a 10K next Sunday and a half marathon the end of the month.

I have been running consistently but swimming only once. I need support to get me going in swimming, core and biking.
I enjoy running and biking but swimming is SO HARD for me.

Sorry for the long post.

Welcome Lovey!! Long posts are great.... I prefer them! You are really amazing, lots of people would give up, but not YOU. I too need to lose 30lbs+ so no worries... we can motivate each other. If you are afraid of biking like me, you can spin for fitness and bike a little less outdoors.

I'm a 12/14 right now... should be an 8. Let's DO THIS!
2012-04-11 7:16 AM
in reply to: #4136862

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Cocashe - 2012-04-08 4:40 PM

Happy Easter!!

Do you have room for one more?  Please??

So about me: I'm a 32 year old female, just moved to NH last July for a new job after completing school.  I registered for a sprint Tri in mid August (which now I'm worrying wasn't the best choice for a first-time event!), and my biggest concern is easily the bike.  I've been out a few times, and my thighs just burn from looking at the damn contraption!

I joined a new fitness bootcamp in the fall, and I've been going consistently since.  I'm getting much stronger and losing inches, so although my weight is way off from what would be considered "ideal", I'm not worrying about it too much.  

I used to run and did a handful of half-marathons, the most recent one in August of 2010, so I'm confident that I can get my running back up.  I've never swam for exercise, but I'm comfortable in the water and I'm quite pleased with how my swimming has been progressing over the last few weeks.  I'm sure I'll have tons of questions in that area, too, but not as pressing as the bike...help!!!

I hope everyone's having a great Easter weekend, happy training

Yes always room for one more!

THe bike the bike... the damn BIKE! Spin instead for fitness... ride just to practice cornering and drills. Swimming, for me, makes the rest of it worthwhile!
2012-04-11 7:19 AM
in reply to: #4136878

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
fluffyrunner - 2012-04-08 4:53 PM

I know I'm about a week late to this, but is it still ok to join?  

I'm 34, single, part time grad student, full time worker.  I really try to get some sort of training in 5 days a week.  Doesn't always happen, but I try.

I'm signed up for my first tri ever on May 13th.  

I did 5 half marathons in 2011 doing a run/walk.  

The part of the tri that really concerns me is the swim.  I've never done an open water swim.  I only really learned to swim in August or so of last year.  

Dawn

I did a bunch of half marathons last season too, it was fun... tough but not deadly!

The swim is great, because you are scared to death of it... kind of a thrill. Can you get out in the water and practice a bit? Otherwise it's just laps and laps and laps!

May 13th is coming up, cool!

WELCOME!
2012-04-11 7:20 AM
in reply to: #4136927

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
garylandry - 2012-04-08 5:39 PM

I would like to join your group. I did my first Sprint tri 4-7-12 and had a great time I am hook and want to do Miami Man in Nov.

I have lost over 80 lbs and the last 2 years and now this is the next step for me.

I'm doing Miami Man too!! Nice job on the weight loss.... where do you train? I'm in Miami also! Are you a Hammerhead?

Looking forward to getting to know you!

2012-04-11 7:23 AM
in reply to: #4136988

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
TacoTuesday - 2012-04-08 6:34 PM

I'd like to join your group.I'm a 49 year old guy. I used to be an avid cyclist & runner. Then 14 years ago I was diagnosed with MS and the pain & balance issues forced me to stop-cold turkey. 3 years ago I fell in love with swimming and did a 1-1/2 mile swim in Lake Michigan last September without a wetsuit. Water temp was 65 degrees. I joined a Masters Swim class last fall and the other members, who are all triathletes, thought I was one too.That got me thinking, maybe I can be one.I started running Feb 1st. Very slow build up to currently running 4 miles per workout 3 times per week. I bike about 2 times per week about 20 miles each time. I swim 2500-3000 meters a workout 6 days per week. Just recently signed-up for a sprint triathlon June 10th. If all goes well, I plan on doing several this summer working up to an Olympic Tri.

You were in the Lake with no wet suit? wow, I used to live in Chicago, and I rarely got in there... too cold!! My good friend Mayra has MS and although she got pulled out of the water for being too slow (by 30 seconds) at the last half iron man, she continues to press on, finishing sprints and olympics several races a year.

You work out schedule is perfect, KEEP IT UP and KEEP US POSTED in here!!! WELCOME!
2012-04-11 7:25 AM
in reply to: #4137086

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Nats - 2012-04-08 8:11 PM

Hi Steph!

My name is Nathalie and I would like to join your group.  I will post a summary of who I am a little later but in a nutshell, I am attempting to return to the sport after being busy with work and life. Consequently, I became inactive and gained 40 lbs after Ironman Florida in 2010.  I need to be motivated and inspired in order to get back into the swing of things so in a sense, I feel like a beginner all over again.

Thanks!

It's easy to lose fitness, but it's also pretty great getting it back. WELCOME BACK NATS! So you are an IRONMAN? Nice!!! You will be an inspiration to all of us!

Yay!
2012-04-11 7:27 AM
in reply to: #4137101

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Erschmaltz - 2012-04-08 8:23 PM

hey!

I would like to join the group if I could, please!!

I guess I should probably introduce myself! My name is Elizabeth and although I have been working out consistently over the past five years, last summer was a huge turning point for me. I'm in my early thirties, have lost just about 100lbs and have maintained that loss for a couple of years. And when I say maintain, I mean I'm stuck. My body doesn't care what i throw at it, it's just giving me the middle finger and not losing anymore. With that being said, I decided that if I'm not going to lose any more weight, than I'm just going to make sure I'm the healthiest version of me possible. So, I started entering races. It started with a 5k, which was fine - nothing to write home about. Then another 5k. Then a 10k, which turned out to be a 'gateway race.' In the process of deciding to become a 'runner' (I use the term loosely), i borrowed a bike from a friend and  signed up for a two day 200 mile bike ride. In the middle of July, having an asthma attack in the middle of a corn field, I had an epiphany. I was hot and tired and still had 50 miles to go, but I was having fun. In fact, I LOVED it. The hard work, all the hours of training I had done coming to fruition. That's when I decided that if I lived through the bike ride, I would sign up for a half marathon at Disney in February. Well, I spent my winter running and just finished my first half and it was awesome! As I was doing a 12 mile training run, I had another epiphany. I thought that if I could bike and run, I should probably tackle swimming. I had just joined a new gym with a pool and was swimming laps, slowly, but I needed some further guidance and some speed. Fast forward a few months, and I am now on a Masters' level swim team. Apparently, I am going to compete with them in the fall, like a real swimmer! I am brand new to the team, and they just finished their competitive season, and now they're switching over to triathlon specific swim training - perfect timing for me!

Anyway, I am super long winded, but excited. I generally train (run, bike, swim, strength train) about 8-10 hours a week. I have signed up for three more halfs this year, have two multi-day century rides on the books, and I think a few triathlons both sprints and international distances. I have no idea what I'm doing, but can't wait to get out there! I am SLOW, but never compete to win, just to be better than I was on the previous race.

Sorry to talk so much!!!

Never too much 'talk', really great story! don't you love it when you are SUPPOSED to be miserable.... and you feel great? That was my first triathlon last summer. I had so much fun! You are a real athlete! NICE WORK!!!
2012-04-11 7:30 AM
in reply to: #4137170

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Zbridget - 2012-04-08 9:36 PM

I’m hoping you have room for another

NAME: Bridget/ Zbridget        

STORY:  44 years old, was working full time and finished grad school last May 20+lbs overweight.  Joined WW and lost most of it.  Had been going to the Y for spinning classes and developed great friendships with the 5am crowd, and started participating in fit activities there. 

I go on a family reunion every summer in the Adirondack mountains in July around the time of Lake Placid Ironman-and though I have never been athletic, I have been intrigued by the fit people in Lake Placid who come to town every summer.  

FAMILY STATUS: Married to my husband 14 years this year, one daughter 10. 

CURRENT TRAINING: Spinning class 3x a week, starting to run on the treadmill at the Y after spin class.  I take a beginner swim class Monday nights- my daughter loves to swim, and we go lap swimming on Friday nights when the laps are almost empty- I trudge slowly and she swims circles around me.  Thursday mornings I take a TRX training class- core strengthening, resistance training. 

I purchased a road bike- it is on layaway, and I live close enough to work that I can commute with it in the summertime. 

2011 RACES:  I have never raced anything before, and will be running a HM 9/16/12 at Misquamacut RI- Surftown HM.  Also, volunteering at a Sprint at the Y in June. 

WEIGHT LOSS: I am within a few pounds of my weight loss goal, but have noticed since I have ramped up my workouts that my weight loss has slowed down, and I need to eat to keep from pooping out- would be interested in some guidance in this area. 

BIGGEST CHALLENGE:  Increasing my endurance, swimming laps without sucking wind or clutching the gutter after one.  Overcoming inertia and staying with it!  

Sounds like you have it all worked out but the fuel. Yep you gotta fuel your workouts. I know it's great to be at your goal weight, but you are now officially MORE MUSCLE than fat, and you have to eat! Make extra sure you get enough protein... and fuel the workouts. There's a ton of info on here, but I will look up some of my favorite stuff for you. This group is big, and there's an IRONMAN in this group, so ask away!!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL! Rss Feed  

of 45