General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Not sure whether to sign up for my first Triathlon! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-04 6:48 AM

Subject: Not sure whether to sign up for my first Triathlon!

I have only been training for triathlons for a few weeks now and although I find it tough I am absolutely loving it.  I would really like to sign up for my first "Try a Tri" on 2nd June (so roughly 8 weeks' time).  Problem is that given my current performance levels I'm terrified of being the last person to cross the line on the day! I live in South-West France and my training terrain is very undulating so am always coming up against hills that tire me out and break my rhythm so my speed is just not improving at all.

I am currently running 5.5km 3 x per week (though VERY slowly at around 8.2km/h), swimming 3 x per week for around 1.2km (though having to stop to catch my breath every 50m at this stage) and I have only just brought my new bike so have only been out on it twice so far but plan to go out twice every week.  I am also a Pilates teacher so work on my core strength regularly.  The Try a Tri is 400m swim, 10km bike and 5km run.  I am asthmatic so my times are never going to be super fast but I still don't want to be last!  What do you guys think?  Should I sign-up or maybe wait for the next one in the middle of July to give me a bit more training time? 

2012-04-04 7:06 AM
in reply to: #4128900

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Not sure whether to sign up for my first Triathlon!

Welcome to BT and triathlon!

If you want to do it ... do it. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks or what place you come in, or even if you finish. Trust me in this: there is great joy simply in training and trying.

I know that new things are scary, and especially so when they challenge us physically as well as mentally and emotionally.

By the way, BT also has lovely Mentor groups for new triathletes: the link for information and joining is at the top of this forum.

Best of luck to you!

2012-04-04 7:08 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Do it! Commit to it and enjoy the adventure

Nobody but you will care what place you finish, everyone will care that you tried it. The important thing is to do it, and from there you can worry about improving your times.

p.s. I'm jealous of you living where you do.... I'd *love* to visit that part of France. Nice is on my ToDo List
2012-04-04 8:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Welcome!

I have just started training for my first triathlon as well.  I can tell that you are in much better shape then I am, and I just signed up for one on July 14th.  I would go for it!  I wouldn't be worried about finishing last.  The mindset I am in right now is that the only person I'm competing against is myself.  I want to finish that race July 14th and look back 4 months ago to where I was, and say never again.

Best of luck.

2012-04-04 9:08 AM

User image

Chesapeake, VA
Go for it. You will have a blast even if you finish near the end. You will probably end up signing up for more once you are done and will be mad at yourself if you delay your first race till July. Plus even if you are slow it gives you a time to beat for next time.
2012-04-04 9:09 AM

User image

Master

Welcome to BT!

Do the tri   DoItDoItDoit!!!

Remember, others are likely training on the same terrain and with similar issues. 

If you make you overall goal to have fun, you'll enjoy yourself!

2012-04-05 11:42 AM

Thanks so much everyone.  I'm not one for getting overly emotional but I felt quite tearful reading all your comments Cry.  It's so nice to have such support!  For various reasons the challenge of training and participating in (I say participating because I'll NEVER be in a position to actually say that I'm competing!) triathlons means an awful lot to me and, as you say, the challenge is physical, mental AND emotional.  I just got back from the pool after a 45 min swim session during which I felt particularly tired and a bit disappointed with myself.  I then realised that it's been 10 days since I've given myself a rest day - not very wise I know!  So, coming homing feeling de-motivated and then reading your comments helped enormously and it's given me the courage and motivation to go ahead and book the triathlon for 2nd June and just enjoy it come what may.  Thank you!! Laughing 
2012-04-05 11:47 AM
in reply to: #4128936

cgregg - 2012-04-04 2:08 PM Do it! Commit to it and enjoy the adventure Nobody but you will care what place you finish, everyone will care that you tried it. The important thing is to do it, and from there you can worry about improving your times. p.s. I'm jealous of you living where you do.... I'd *love* to visit that part of France. Nice is on my ToDo List

Hi there, You should DEFO come and visit France one day.  If you ever get round to arranging it let me know so that I can advise you on the best areas to go.  You'd love it here I'm sure.  I live on the Haute-Vienne/Dordogne border - take a look on google maps.  We're moving to the French Pyrenees in 18 months time though - eeek, not sure if that's a good idea - it's mountainous and cycling and running will become torture!!  Thanks for your comments by the way.....

2012-04-05 2:26 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

That distance seems quite doable for even the most out of shape. I did my first tri within a month of buying a bike, at 280 pounds. You'll survive, especially if you are swimming 45minutes right now.

However, I must point out that even asking the question on this site is somewhat like going to Bass Pro Shop and wondering whether to bother with a fishing license, or to the Vatican and wondering whether to go to Mass.

We're enablers. But a good kind. Cool

2012-04-05 4:02 PM
in reply to: #4132110

User image

Elite
Cleveland
TriEvenHarder - 2012-04-05 12:47 PM

cgregg - 2012-04-04 2:08 PM Do it! Commit to it and enjoy the adventure Nobody but you will care what place you finish, everyone will care that you tried it. The important thing is to do it, and from there you can worry about improving your times. p.s. I'm jealous of you living where you do.... I'd *love* to visit that part of France. Nice is on my ToDo List

Hi there, You should DEFO come and visit France one day.  If you ever get round to arranging it let me know so that I can advise you on the best areas to go.  You'd love it here I'm sure.  I live on the Haute-Vienne/Dordogne border - take a look on google maps.  We're moving to the French Pyrenees in 18 months time though - eeek, not sure if that's a good idea - it's mountainous and cycling and running will become torture!!  Thanks for your comments by the way.....

Haha, the Pyrenees will be great for your training
I checked Google, I bet that area is absolutely beautiful! I currently am dreaming of perhaps trying IM France in 2013, but that's mostly a pipe-dream right now. I'd settle for a normal visit to Nice, but making it a destination race would be a great vacation!
2012-04-05 4:17 PM
in reply to: #4132096

User image

Master

TriEvenHarder - 2012-04-05 9:42 AM Thanks so much everyone.  I'm not one for getting overly emotional but I felt quite tearful reading all your comments Cry.  It's so nice to have such support!  For various reasons the challenge of training and participating in (I say participating because I'll NEVER be in a position to actually say that I'm competing!) triathlons means an awful lot to me and, as you say, the challenge is physical, mental AND emotional.  I just got back from the pool after a 45 min swim session during which I felt particularly tired and a bit disappointed with myself.  I then realised that it's been 10 days since I've given myself a rest day - not very wise I know!  So, coming homing feeling de-motivated and then reading your comments helped enormously and it's given me the courage and motivation to go ahead and book the triathlon for 2nd June and just enjoy it come what may.  Thank you!! Laughing 

You are only competing against yourself!  Don't worry about what anyone else does; do what you can.  I have only completed one race so far, but did so with such a smile on my face.  Didn't matter how long it took--I breaststroked most of the swim--just that I showed up to tri.

Edited by bcraht 2012-04-05 4:17 PM

2012-04-06 3:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona

Welcome to BT!

I'm so glad the fellow BT'ers have convinced you to sign up for your first event.  You can so do this, just believe in yourself, and your training.  It doesn't matter where you finish, just try and finish with the largest ear-splitting-grin on your face!  1.5 years ago I was running at your pace (which is not VERY slow by the way), and I made it through my first sprint tri and have never ever regretted it.  I'm still not fast (I now run at a 9.7 km/hr pace), but running is the hardest challenge of triathlons for me.  You sound like you've got the swimming covered, and yes the hills will be a challenge (I don't know about you but I'm oh so slow going up, but super fast coming down!), and the run is there to teach you something about yourself and what you're capable of, but more imporantly, get you to that wonderful finish line. 

Have fun Laughing because that's what it's all about! 

Vive le triathlon (as some consider France to be the birthplace of triathlon in the 1920's)!

2012-04-06 8:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Lake Stevens, Wa

Just adding to the general comments here but you've made the right decision in signing up and it's going to feel fantastic when you cross that line.  I finished my first just this last Sunday and I can't wait until the next one, though I have to get over the whole OWS first..!!  And, for the record your swim and run is far better than mine was when I started.  Go get it....!!

Cheers

James

2012-04-07 4:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
TriEvenHarder - 2012-04-04 5:48 AM

"Not sure whether to sign up for my first Triathlon" .....As the crackhead spoke with the dealer. You're on your way to a beautiful addiction, have fun!

2012-04-11 2:39 AM

Now officially signed up for my first Try a Triathlon!  2nd June.  I'm so chuffed.  Thanks once again to ALL of you for your comments and encouragement.  I can't tell you how much it helps.  Well done to all of you beginners for getting out there and doing it!  Did my first ever "brick" session on Sunday.  Only 11km on the bike followed by 3km jogging but my legs felt like concrete!  It was bizarre because I felt absolutely knacky noodled but it was the fastest I'd ever run at 8.7km per hour (okay, still snail pace for many of you guys but FAST for me)!  Let's hope it's a sign of things to come.Laughing
2012-04-11 11:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
I am happy to hear you to you signed for your first one. Just keep training and you will come through a winner regardless. It is the fact that you are doing one and finishing is a winner in my book. Not everyone competes! i just do it for the challenge and to stay fit. All the best of luck to you!

2012-04-11 12:06 PM

New user
Norwalk, Ohio
I am also slow.  If you finish last, you will still finish ahead of everyone who is sitting on their in front of the couch
2012-04-12 2:51 AM
in reply to: #4143585

quasimodo63 - 2012-04-11 7:06 PM I am also slow.  If you finish last, you will still finish ahead of everyone who is sitting on their in front of the couch

Never thought of it like that before Quasimodo!  Thanks, I'll definitely keep that at the front of my mind on race day! Smile

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Not sure whether to sign up for my first Triathlon! Rss Feed