S2F Events
85?F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 46m 41s
Overall Rank = /1700
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 57/97
Pre-race routine:

Got all my gear organized the night before.

Woke up at 5:00, ate a bagel with peanut butter, showered, dropped off the kids (unfortunately did not them all and I think this was part of my problem during the race). Saw Matt in the parking lot at the hotel and knew I was heading out on time.

Sipped on water and drink mix on the way to the race site.
Event warmup:

None except for stretching and peeing 2 times.
Swim
  • 29m 28s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Time trial start sending people off every 3 seconds. I was just thrashing around in the water untill the first bouy. It wasn't untill then that I remembered to swim and not just flail away at the water. By then I had wasted a lot of energy and it took me a few minutes to get myself and my breathing calmed back down. Once I did that the rest of the swim was pretty uneventful except getting passed by tons of people.

My time was good for me though.
What would you do differently?:

Train more in open water and work on my swim more. My navigation was horrible. I halfway wasted myself trying to find my way around what was a pretty straightforeward course.
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

Long jog down to my rack, but it was right at the exit. Wetsuit a little hard to get off, but I did OK. Glasses on, helmet on, socks and shoes on and grabbed my bike.

Nothing really, I'm not pretending to be an AG contender so I take my time and just mount my bike normally.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 59s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.61 mile/hr
Comments:

Here is where everything went all wrong. I actually felt good going into the bike, but that quickly turned to shit.

#1: I messed up and mixed my drink my way too strong. It was like drinking salt water and quickly made me feel bloated. I try to get down as much early into rides so that it's not sloshing around in my stomache for the run. In trying to force down this toxic coctail, I felt bloated and didn't want to drink much after 10 miles.

#2: Get rid of that thing my wife has now named the water rocket. I've never had problems with my X-lab saddle wing before and I normally ride on pretty rough roads, but today that think had a mind of its own. I lost my bottle THREE Goddamn times. Twice I turned around to pick up my bottle and after the third time I just sacrificed it to the Tri gods in hope that it would change my luck. Not so, about a mile after that both tubes came flying out of their straps. So now I am bloated and without a flat fix it the need arises.

#3 - I hastily put on my race number this morning and within 1/2 mile it was blowing all the place and rubbing my thighs. Finally I just jammed it as far back on my top tube as it would go and it stayed put only minorly rubbing my legs with each pedal stroke.

About the only good thing I can say about the bike is at least I didn't crash or flat.

Get rid of the saddle wing and go with a bottle on the down tube and small bag for the other crap.

Get my nutrition right.

Learn how to affix my race number so that it stays put and doesn't get in the way.
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Cycling shoes off, helmet off, shoes on, grabbed my visor and race belt and away I went.

My wife was right there and I told her how bad I was struggling.

Nothing that I can think of.
Run
  • 1h 03m 42s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I actually felt OK for the first 2 miles but my bloated stomache had all that it could take. I actually was hoping I would puke just to ease the bloated feeling. I couldn't take down any more water and was feeling pretty bad. I made it to the mile 3 marker before I started walking and from there it was run 5-7 minutes, walk 1. Really more like half trot than run though. I would guess that at least 150 people passed me on the run.

Get my nutrition right on the bike and do some longer endurance to get me used to hard efforts longer than 2 hours.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited around for a little while and finally felt like I could take down some fluids. Drank almost a liter of water and a few beers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See above

Event comments:

I enjoyed the race even though I completely screwed it up. It was my first Olympic, so I got that out of the way and know what I need to do to improve my performance.

Got to meet several people on BT and Coach Mike.

Overall I had a good weekend and hope to go back next year.

Last updated: 2005-12-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:28 | 1640 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 71/97
Overall: 0/1700
Performance: Average
HR monitor cut out for some reason 5 secs into the swim
Suit: QR Sleeveless
Course: Triangular I think
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:08:59 | 24.85 miles | 21.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 38/97
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Fairly flat after the first 3 miles but lots of turns.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:03:42 | 06.21 miles | 10m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 68/97
Performance: Bad
Course: Hilly out and back with the final 1/3 mile branching off and running across the dam.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-21 11:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Tuscaloosa, AL
Subject: Memphis in May Triathlon

2006-05-22 7:51 AM
in reply to: #429814

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denham Springs
Subject: RE: Memphis in May Triathlon

Jim, I hadn't realized this was your first Oly tri. Congrates on finishing !

It just goes to show you, I did almost everything right and still came in behind you ,who had alot of trouble. 

In any case good job, and lets meet back next year to get some revenge on that run course.

2006-05-22 8:55 AM

User image

Memphis, Tn

Congrats on your first Oly. Even though you were thrashing around in the water, you still beat my time.

2006-05-22 12:17 PM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Super job on your fist OLY. I had the same problem with the water bottles I lost mine right before we even gotout of the par. Again nice job!!
2006-05-22 12:57 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Awesome tiime and a spectacular bike. 21.6 for that distance is awesome and you stopped and dealt with drink issues. Great race.
2006-05-23 4:38 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Wow great RR sorry about all the troubles. What is it with everyone having the stomach issues...

Sorry I missed seeing you. Looking forward to it next time.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memphis in May Triathlon Rss Feed