Other Country Forums Southeast Asia » Metasport Sprint in Singapore May 6th - Who is in? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-08 7:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Singapore
Subject: Metasport Sprint in Singapore May 6th - Who is in?

So who is in for this sprint triathlon?  I will be there ready to go.  I am only 2 weeks of a heel injury that had me off my run for 9 weeks.  On a positive note my bike and swim should be faster than normal...

http://www.metasprintseries.com/course.php

2012-04-08 8:42 AM
in reply to: #4136392

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Metasport Sprint in Singapore May 6th - Who is in?
I am if I can find a place to stay (troubles booking online) and get my bike put together. Last year we had a crew from Saigon but think I'm it this year. In middle of HIM training so not sure what my speed will be like, but whatever. Just worried the bike will fall apart--it's my first time to have to put together/take apart the bike by myself--have done it for practice at home but not before a race. If worst comes to worst I guess I can just haul the box to a bike shop and ask them to help!
2012-04-21 2:46 AM

Singapore
We live near the airport and close to where the race is. If you get stuck for a place we have a daybed for guests.
2012-04-22 6:46 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Thanks for the offer...did manage to book a place. My credit card keeps getting cancelled when I use it online overseas; I managed to get hold of a human being at the bank and have them "pre-approve" the booking charge. Staying at Changi Village. Is there a bike shop in that area or anywhere close? The only ones I know of aren't nearby. Worried I'll get stuck re-assembling my bike after the flight. (I have done it once, but that was last year!) Otherwise I'll just do my best effort and hopefully one of the mechanics at the race can check to see if anything's wonky before I actually ride it!
2012-04-23 1:03 AM
in reply to: #4165931

Singapore
2012-04-23 7:34 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Thanks! I'll probably see if they can check it out after I attempt to put it together, or just bring it there if I give up LOL. Pretty sure I can take it apart; not sure about putting together. Yes, I'm a bike idiot. All I can do is (kinda sorta) ride them. Plus I need to replace my back light, which died a horrible, gory death beneath a truck yesterday. (At least it was just the light, which had become detatched after hitting a big underwater pothole, and not me!)

Are you racing?  I'll be my usual incognito self--black 2 XU one-piece tri-suit like everyone in Singapore races, orange sunglasses, skinny, dark hair, white bike with endangered animal stickers. Probably last in the elite wave, at least at the end of the bike LOL.

2012-04-23 10:27 PM

Singapore

I'll be there. Coming off a 5 week lazy period straight after finishing the Aviva HIM. Had a lot of business travel which always makes it tough to co-ordinate training so I can't hope to be competitive this time

I'll be in a B70 trisuit (black surprise surprise) and I'll see if I can catch you before the elite start. Which HIM have you signed up for? Any interest in attempting the Metaman half on Bintan?

2012-04-23 11:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Singapore
I guess I will mix up the colors a bit with my blue zoot tri top.  I usually run with a flourescent yellow visor so my family can see me easily.  I will be in the M30-34 wave.  It would be good to meet each of you.  Good luck!
2012-04-24 5:02 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Hi robbo and antman--hope to see you there! I'm training for a HIM (Pacific Crest) in my home state of Oregon in June. Just didn't feel like I'd be up to the bike distance for Aviva earlier this year, not sure how I'd do in such a long event in the heat, and logistical issues with the race and flight times. I don't know what my speed will be like for the shorter stuff. Have plenty of endurance though LOL. Thought about not being in the elite wave but last year I swam over/ran into the back of the master's men at the end of swim and in transition. Probably better for me to be BOP in the elite and then play my favorite "catch-em" game on the run. Just hope I don't get in people's way on the bike!

I might do the half at Metaman but still up in the air. I would need to get leave from work the Friday before. Really would like to see how I handle (and if I finish) my first HIM first, but that puts me into late registration costs. It's also....how to put this delicately.....not a good time to ask for leave. Our school head, one of my big supporters here, and the one who gave me leave to race Vietnam Tri last year, died yesterday after a long battle with cancer. I'll probably make a decision in May, once it wouldn't be bad form to raise the issue of leave with our acting head. 

2012-04-30 6:46 AM

Singapore

sorry to hear about your mentor. Hope that things work out for you with work.

you want to give a prediction for your time on the weekend?

Swim 17min

Ride 33min

Run 23min

Hope to go under 1:15 although if the bike course is 4kms long like it was last year that'll be a challenge

2012-05-01 3:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Singapore
I am thinking 1:20 for me. Hoping for better but my run training got a big delay due to injury. Either way it should be fun.Why don't the races separate T1 and T2 out from the rest of our splits? In the US they would separate them so you could see your true paces. I liked that better rather than having to rely on my watch after the race. Good luck!

2012-05-02 5:11 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Would just like to beat last year's time (1:17?) but don't know if that's doable. No predictions, except I'll try to beat Robbo on swim and run, and try to beat SOMEBODY on the bike. Horrible visions of being dead last in the "elite" wave after the bike. At least it would motivate me to run hard!

Had a minor bike crash Saturday (managed to hit some tree debris as I was switching water bottles on the one clean, traffic-free stretch of road in town). A bit banged up and plenty of road rash but nothing major. I've been biking and running fine but today was the first time I swam for almost a week. Nothing hurts, just felt sluggish after being out of the water so long. Not sure of effect of salt water and starting brawl though--might slow down swim and T1 a bit. Whatever.... realistically, if a bike's involved, I'm probably not in the running for top 3. I have really improved my biking base (the crash was with 10 km to go in a 134 km ride) but my training has not been focused on short, fast stuff lately. Will just aim to improve on last year!

2012-05-06 4:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Singapore
So how did the race go for each of you? I did 1:18:33. A bit better than expected. I was a bit slower on the bike than I would like but I am happy with my run considering only 5 weeks of running since injury. I hope your races went well.
2012-05-06 11:16 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Escaped incognito again!  Was hoping to run into at least one of you but I pretty much finished and then just lay around--not my usual energetic self. I did 1:17:46, fourth overall. Got my age-group butt kicked by 40 seconds--a woman who did Kona last year. Think she dusted me on the bike. Actually my time last year was 1:27--I think I mentally took 10 minutes off as I thought the bike course was 5 km longer; actually if it was only 4 km longer it would have been 1:19ish. My swim and run times were within a few seconds of last year's; I had major problems in T1 (got dizzy and couldn't find bike, then got stuck behind AG guys) last year which I didn't have this year; guessing most of the gains came from that as my bike leg just sucked. I'd hoped to do 33 kph but I think it was more like 30 or 31. Have done very little sprint or even Oly-paced riding since last fall and boy did I feel it. Cramped up badly as soon as I got off the bike and would have fallen over in T2 if not holding onto the bike. Managed to run it off in the first km. and my run ended up within 2 sec. of last year's but felt like crap the whole way--combo of yuck bike leg, heat, and bad time of month-- major nausea for most of it. I'm usually pretty impervious to heat, esp. for a sprint, but felt like sticking my head into ice water by the end, horrid pounding headache as well. Was so done for afterwards that I just took a cold shower, found a patch of shade and lay there for a couple of hours till the awards.

2012-05-07 9:43 PM

Singapore

1:15:28 for me, Karen achieved all her goals, beating me in the run and the swim although I closed the gap on last year. First time I've crossed the line in front so finally didn't get 'chicked'. I didn't arrive until after the start of the elites otherwise I would have come and said hello

Swim was great for me, did 15:30. Swam the whole way in clear water straight along the rope. At the start all those in front of me went left or right and I had a clear path like the red sea parting Judging from the elites being a bit slower this year I'd say the course was slightly longer so I'm finally starting to get a bit faster, yay!

Bike I struggled on the first loop to sit on 36km/h as I think the swim took some out of me. Second loop was better sitting mostly on 38km/h. Average speed up about 1km/h compared to last year but probably not as good as I was hoping for.

Run was going well until the last km when monster stitches got me but still much faster than last year by about 3 mins. Overall pretty happy in hot conditions. Will try drinking less next time as I was still in HIM mode of needing to keep hydrated which probably isn't necessary for a sprint.

53121817Andrew Roberts01:15:2840-49Male5200:15:2900:34:0800:22:12

2011: Male 40-49 37 771 Andrew Roberts 124 0:16:27 53 0:01:38 29 0:42:52 36 0:01:37 53 0:25:29 70 1:28:04 81 64 145

2012-05-08 4:06 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Congrats Andrew! Actually my bike averaged 31.6, which still sucks, although faster than last year (not quite 30)! I mean, I did 31.4 in the Oly, also flat, worse road. How can I be so awful??? 5th on swim 1st on run, 30th on bike.  Just not pleased with my times. Even transition was no faster--no idea why as I was moving quickly through it the whole time and no trouble finding bike and getting stuck behind guys like last year. Feel like I train very hard to make no progress. Maybe it's just the HIM focus, or getting old.  Wondering--did everyone else have to do a lap of the transition area in T2? I don't remember that from last year but the volunteers sent us that way.

2012-05-08 4:45 PM
in reply to: #4182845

Singapore
antman - 2012-05-01 3:17 AMI am thinking 1:20 for me. Hoping for better but my run training got a big delay due to injury. Either way it should be fun.Why don't the races separate T1 and T2 out from the rest of our splits? In the US they would separate them so you could see your true paces. I liked that better rather than having to rely on my watch after the race. Good luck!
Did u notice that if u click into the results it does have your transition times?
2012-05-08 4:55 PM
in reply to: #4196506

Singapore
Hot Runner - 2012-05-08 4:06 AM

Congrats Andrew! Actually my bike averaged 31.6, which still sucks, although faster than last year (not quite 30)! I mean, I did 31.4 in the Oly, also flat, worse road. How can I be so awful??? 5th on swim 1st on run, 30th on bike.  Just not pleased with my times. Even transition was no faster--no idea why as I was moving quickly through it the whole time and no trouble finding bike and getting stuck behind guys like last year. Feel like I train very hard to make no progress. Maybe it's just the HIM focus, or getting old.  Wondering--did everyone else have to do a lap of the transition area in T2? I don't remember that from last year but the volunteers sent us that way.

Had to do the lap as well. I reckon u are too tough on yourself. U have two great legs in the race where most of us are 3 average at best. My bike time was 22 in my cat like my swim and I was happy with one disappointed with the other which means its often your expectations which determine your outlook. Your bike improved the same amount mine did and I'd guess the oly didn't have 4 u turns which really cut your speed. Not sure if Aus humor will translate but what I wanted to say tongue in cheek was that I promise to let u beat me in the meta man HIM if it'll make u feel better
2012-05-09 5:26 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Thanks for the encouragement! Checked the results manually and I was actually 4th overall in the swim. The times were off last year--maybe the current or something at time of my wave. I kept hitting branches--I guess from the storm Friday night. Bike wasn't a total disaster but still not strong for me. The Oly in question was a three-loop course with five U-turns and minimal traffic control (Vietnam Tri). It's just frustratiing that the bike holds me back so much--I've worked hard on it this year and I see so little progress.  If I could just even make top 10 on the bike, I would be crushing the field. And you don't have forever to get there when you are 43.

More concerned with how awful I felt. It was at the end of a very hard week of training (followed by three easy days pre-race), and I've been doing mainly endurance-focused stuff, so maybe it was just fatigue or dorking out on lactic acid. Got the race pics and my run form is just falling apart; I'm absolutely white and really look like I'm going to puke! Feel okay in training now so assume it was  fatigue/heat exhaustion and/or poor hydration. I mixed my Nuun at half strength and just had water on the run as stomach was a bit weird, so maybe wasn't getting enough electrolytes--need to experiment as it's always hot. If I do Metaman will need to have this under control. 

Are you guys already signed up?

2012-05-09 9:23 AM
in reply to: #4198320

User image

Veteran
Singapore

robbo_27 - 2012-05-09 5:45 AM Did u notice that if u click into the results it does have your transition times?

Yeah I saw this.  It is great!  The result sheet for this race is better than any other race I have done.  Very cool to have all the splits and even a ranking for the transitions.  I am not doing Meta Man this year.  I have the full marathon at the Sundown coming up, then a few 10K races and OSIM.  I would do the TriFactor race but I will be back in the US. 

2012-05-11 7:08 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Aaaaargh! The Sing Sprint disaster saga continues. I put my bike back together today and was wheeling it around the living room to check that I hadn't put anything on upside down; noticed that the right brake was very tight and the back wheel was rubbing. (I'd noticed the brake, but not the wheel, the day before and morning of the race.) Took it to our LBS and they said it was too tight (not sure if from reassembly in Singapore or crash a week before) and rubbing on the wheel. There was some wear on the (new) tire so quite possible I rode all or part of the race with extra "drag". (Maybe came out of alignment after hitting the speed bumps.)  Or it might have been knocked out of place sitting in transition before riding back to the hotel. Have to wonder--it really did feel weird out there! 

2012-05-12 5:40 PM

Singapore
Laughed when I read this because my brother did the same in the Noosa tri. I'd gone up to watch him and he'd fallen apart on the run. Same as you he'd described how hard the bike felt, no energy etc. he pushed through that at race pace but it caught up with him on the run.My final transition check is to pick the bike up and spin both wheels unfortunately that means I have no excuse for my bike performance.
New Thread
Other Country Forums Southeast Asia » Metasport Sprint in Singapore May 6th - Who is in? Rss Feed