General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How can I find a nutritional balance? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-08 5:21 PM

Subject: How can I find a nutritional balance?

Hi triathlon community!

I've been trying to find a balance lately with nutrition and tri training and would appreciate some input.

I began tri training last summer as a means to loose weight (and fell in love!).  As a female, I started quite high at 210 lbs and lost weight healthfully last spring/summer/fall through my training program.  Currently, I weigh 145 lbs and am training about 7 hours a week at this point if I don't miss.  I struggle to train consistently (lots of bricks to try to make up for missing) because I'm balancing graduate school and work as well.  I track intake calories most days still and am a healthy eater (no processed crap, low sugar, no junk).

So that's the background, and here's the issue:  

I still need to loose weight because I have a lot of belly/torso fat.  Yet if I restrict my calories enough to where I'm actually losing (1200-1400 per day, depending on training), I am definitely not getting enough.  I feel exhausted in the afternoon and to the point that my focus intellect suffers.  As you can imagine, training is  difficult with this fatigue, contributing to missed workouts.  So of course I realized I'm clearly not eating enough to sustain myself at this level of training.  So my solution was to experiment with not tracking calories and just eating what my body needed.  My training was great, but I hit a weight plateau and then started to gain..

My body is mismatched from top to bottom, and I really do need to loose torso fat to hit optimum fitness (see photo http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150729236773307&set=a.97552303306.87247.667648306&type=1&theater).  So I'm wondering, basically, what people's thoughts and experiences are.  How much do you eat in terms of calories?  What's the breakdown of carbs/protein/fat.  How can you find a balance between weight loss and energy levels without wasting a bunch of time playing around?  How do you spread out your calorie intake during the day with training?

Thanks!

2012-04-09 1:48 PM
in reply to: #4136967

User image

Veteran
Columbus
Subject: RE: How can I find a nutritional balance?

Weight loss seems to be a person by person thing.  It seems like you have lost a lot of the easy weight and are now onto the stubborn tough part that is hard for everyone.  Try not to have such a large deficit and go with 200-500 which will take longer to lose actual weight (~3500 calories per pound) but it will help with being tired and training. 

Other than that good luck and work at it.  Weight loss will take longer but you will perform better!

2012-04-10 6:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wellesley, Massachusetts
Two thoughts for you. First, use a calorie tracker like www.myfitnesspal.com, or the one on Livestrong. Your body might need more calories or it may need to be better timed in your day and this can help you track what and when you're eating. Second thought is that you're dealing with a lot of stress which means an increase in cortisol. Excess amounts of this hormone lead to an increase in fat around the belly. In grad school, I carried around a little extra belly fat because of the stress and some late night eating. Also, try to be prepared during the week with easy snacks like fruit and nuts and some meals you can grab that you make ahead of time that are healthy so youndon't eat sodium laden frozen meals.
2012-04-10 8:21 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

It is hard to respond, not knowing what U R eating or drinking during the day.  When I try to lose weight, I eat at least 6 meals per day but the total of those meals can not exceed the number of calories I am striving for on that day.

next, I cut carbs 6 our of 7 days.  1 day per week I carb load, 6 weeks is  carb depletion.  This is where it gets mental.  I just tell myself to get my fat butt in gear...use the fat for energy.

Drink a lot of water, at least a gallon per day.

Try to get 2 w/o in per day even if they are short, to get ur metabolism up.

Be consistent in your diet and w/o.  Don't cheat either one.

Be patient, it took time to gain the weight, it will take time to lose it.

If When I get real tired, I take a little caffeine to get me thru the day on carb depletion days.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How can I find a nutritional balance? Rss Feed