Superhero Events
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 26s
Overall Rank = 114/6099
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 18/401
Pre-race routine:

This race had an crazy early start time of 6 am so the wake up call came early. Had time for a bit of breakfast which consisted of a banana and half a danish since Melissa and I forgot to pick up breakfast supplies. Seriously, after all of our race experience we forgot about breakfast. We cobbled together what was left over from the previous day's continental breakfast and it worked well enough for me. After that we made the short walk to the race start near the entrance to Universal Studios. Staying at the nearby Sheraton was worth it just to make that part of race morning easing. I waited with Melissa until just a few minutes till the race start and then waded through the sea of people to get next to the 7:00 pace sign in the corrals
Event warmup:

None
Run
  • 1h 33m 26s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

So it turns out the group near the 7:00 pace sign was running nowhere near 7:00 miles. We ended up being the third group out and the first part of the race was through the narrow city walk so I spent the first half mile finding gaps to dart around slower runners and the people stopping in the middle of the street to take pictures (I seriously nearly plowed over more than one person doing this).

After getting out of the city walk and out on a normal street things cleared up a bit. Soon the downhill portion of the race started. My original plan was to take this part conservatively. I figured bounding down a two mile hill would be detrimental to my legs later on, but after a mile of that approach I said screw it. I knew coming back up was going to suck later no matter what so why not bank some time now? Probably not smart, but I had gravity on my side and flew!

After that the course leveled off and miles 4-11 along Hollywood and Sunset Boulevard were some of the flattest I've ever run. The sun was up now and it was a great morning to run. Starting further back in the race allowed me to have plenty of targets to pick off so heading out to the turnaround I just concentrated on getting by as many people as I could. My calves started cramping early on and I blamed the downhill charge. I've been running 40+ miles a week in training so a four mile run shouldn't cause cramping. I started a search for sports drink at the next couple of aid stations but came up empty and cursed myself for not wearing my compression socks. Hit the 10k point and saw I was around 42 minutes, which was right where I wanted to be pace wise.

The aid station at the turn around had some sports drink. Score! I was happy to have over half the race behind me at that point. The cramps were getting a little worse but I was holding my pace. In fact those middle 8 miles were all within a few seconds of eachother.

Mile 10 had a clif shot station. I thought it was a little late in the race for that but grabbed one anyway. Raspberry...mmmm. I was looking for a water station shortly after that to wash it down with but had to wait another mile to get some. Poor planning there.

I didn't have time to fret about it too much because the "hill" was about to start. Although hill may be a bit of an understatement. I've done plenty of steep climbs in my day, but 2 straight miles of climbing a 4-5% grade at that point in a race was a new experience all together. Of course at that point I could feel the wind in my face to for the perfect storm of "suck." I decided to embrace the suck and just keep the feet moving. Lots of people were resorting to walking at that point, even at the front end of the field. I took some solace in the fact that my legs still felt good enough to run and that there wasn't much race left.

I somehow managed a 7:53 the first mile and an 8:23 the second so the hill was definitely doing some damage. After what seemed like forever the ground leveled off, revealing the finish line, which was quite a welcome sight. There was even a bit of a downhill leading up to it so I was able to come through feeling strong.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe not take the downhill so hard? Oh, and wear my calf sleeves!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked through the food line and got my fill. They had protein shakes at the finish so that was a bonus. Then I waited for Melissa to finish before taking the "party" limo bus back to the race start

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It's still early in the season. I expect to go under 1:30 this year and would like to do Chicago in under 3. All kinds of time to improve

Event comments:

For an inaugural race this was about what I expected. I heard there were some issues with enough cups later on and some of their information communication wasn't done the best, but I enjoyed myself and had a good time. Hopefully things will get smoother for them in the future. Personally, I was happy with how the race went. It affirmed where my fitness was at and I see nothing but improvement to come in the next few months. It's going to be a fun year!

Last updated: 2012-02-09 12:00 AM
Running
01:33:26 | 13.1 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/401
Overall: 114/6099
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back with a steep 2 mile downhill section miles 1-3 that you had to climb back up miles 11-13. Simply sadistic
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-10 8:50 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: Hollywood Half Marathon

2012-04-10 9:21 PM
in reply to: #4142231

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Hollywood Half Marathon

Sweet speedy half mary!   Your run focus this year ought to really be good!!

Those hills would hurt to run, figuring out how to manage that much down hill without adding too much suckitude to the return uphill (in the wind) would be mentally impossible for a lot of us.

2012-04-10 10:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice run! I wonder if you got in anyone's picture.
2012-04-11 6:32 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Wowzer, Neal ! 114! That is great!

Seriously.... you two forgot breakfast stuff. That just makes me giggle.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hollywood Half Marathon Rss Feed