Denver, Colorado
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 59m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I was a 'sag pacer' for the first half of the full marathon. I ran the first 13.1 miles - at a 13:45 pace - which is slower than I usually run...I mean I'm slow, but not that slow...so I thought this is going to be a challenge.

Didn't sleep well the night before - mainly kid issues - waking me up - wanting a drink of water - coughing because their allergies were acting up - overall, I probably got 4 hours of good sleep.

Got out of bed at 4:15am and ate a bagel - made sure I had all my stuff, and got in the car. Jay dropped me off at the Sports Park, and I took a pit stop at the porta potties before all the buses came...then walked around until I found our running group, and all of my fellow pacers.
Event warmup:

None - I was supposed to run this so danged slow I thought the entire race would be pretty much a warm up :-0
Run
  • 2h 59m 53s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out at the back since that was where I was going to be the entire race - and when the gun went off - just started lightly jogging. It was amazing to see people who arrived late for the start running the wrong way on Colfax to get to the starting point - They weren't letting any cars into the park since runners were on the streets, so those late arrivers had to run 2-3 miles from their parking spot into the park to be able to log a starting time. Anyway - those people then played catch up for the next couple of miles. They would run up to me (I was wearing an official blue pacer shirt) and ask what pace I was setting - When I would tell them - uh..I'm the end of the line, if you're in back of me then your in trouble, they would get a pretty funny look on their face and take off running. Anyway, I pretty much ran by myself for the first couple of miles, but eventually caught up to some people who were walking - or jogging even slower then me. My job was to tell them that they either needed to stay with me, or get on the sag bus when it caught up to us. Some would sprint ahead about 50 feet, then start walking until I caught up again - I didn't think that was a very good strategy - but frankly a lot of these people shouldn't have been out there. They did NO training - or minimal training and they expected to finish a difficult marathon course????? But I tried to encourage them the best I could.

I kept my pace pretty well - trying hard to not speed up even though it felt natural. About mile 5, I got a phone call asking me to pull back a bit so the ambulance and sag bus could 'connect' with me...seems as though there were quite a few walkers that started late and they were being pretty strict about keeping the pace because they had to reopen the road behind us....I couldn't see the bus back there - so I just slowed down as best I could - A couple of minutes later, I got a call from the race director - He wanted me to pull way back until the bus with the medical people was right behind me so that I could inform them about what I was doing. It was funny - I really didn't want to run backwards, so I stopped in the road and tried to single to the bus to move forward to me - but they just stopped - about 25 yards back...so I jogged back to them, identified myself, and let them know that I was talking to the people when I came up to them, and warning them that if they fell too far behind me, then they had to get on the sidewalk - or get on the bus!! Everyone was so nice and understanding. About mile 8 I began to lose quite a few of my straggler group as they realized that there was no way they were going to make it..I tried to encourage them the best I could - but when you don't have 'it' - you don't have it.

About mile 10 - I had about 5 people who were hurting but determined - so I tried to encourage them - and keep the pace as slow as I could so they could at least make it to mile 13.1 - at City Park. I had one gal that was my personal 'project'. Whenever she said something negative - like "there is just no way", I would try to say something enouraging - and emphasize that we were almost there - and she could do it!!

At the entrance to City Park the pacers who were taking over to run the second half joined me, and I set the pace for them as we ran the mile or so to the half marathon start.

I still had about 4 of my 'people' with me - so as soon as I crossed the half marathon point, I turned around and cheered as loud as I could so they would know someone cared if they made it. At this point there was NO one left at the half way point except my hubby, the medical tent people, and an announcer. Quite discouraging for those pulling up the rear. But 'personal project' lady crossed the timing mat - came and gave me a hug, and got on the bus. I hope she feels like she accomplished something. Yes - she set out to run the full - but even running the half is such an accomplishment!
What would you do differently?:

Not get hurt in March so I could actually race this thing??? Nah...this was really an experience, and I had a LOT of fun with it.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the car with my hubby and drove to the marathon finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Uh....I was a pacer and had to keep a certain pace!!

Event comments:

Overall, I had a blast!!! It was an easy jog down Colfax - easy and lots of fun talking to the people as I came up to them. I guess I'm glad I did the first part (it was pretty much all down hill) as I heard the second half was killer!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-05-18 12:00 AM
Running
02:59:53 | 13.1 miles | 13m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Straight down Colfax Ave - on the road - with a minor pit stop at Fitzsimmons, and then into City Park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-05-22 12:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Subject: Colorado Colfax

2006-05-22 1:26 PM
in reply to: #430414

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Colorado Colfax

sounds like you had a good time!  I can only imagine the puzzled looks about being a pacer at the end of the pack!  very cool though

2006-05-22 2:14 PM
in reply to: #430414

User image

Veteran
Seattle
Subject: RE: Colorado Colfax
Wow! 3 hr half marathon... That sounds like a challenge! There is no way I could go that slow.
Good job helping other people in that heat!
I was out there yesterday as well, did the full marathon. I underestimated the challenge of the 8 mile stretch of hills in the second half and bonked quite a bit.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Colorado Colfax Rss Feed