General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 910XT Swim Data Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-04-13 8:56 PM

User image

Master
Saratoga Springs, Utah
Subject: 910XT Swim Data

Was not going to get one since I have a 310XT but thought maybe it would be a good tool to have in the pool. I am wondering what kind of data I can get out of this thing that would help improve my swim? I used it today for some of my workout and wondering what others look at.

Edited by gerald12 2012-04-13 9:02 PM

2012-04-13 10:00 PM
in reply to: #4149786

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: 910XT Swim Data
I use it to monitor my pace/100, SPL, and SWOLF scores. =)
2012-04-13 10:03 PM
in reply to: #4149859

User image

Extreme Veteran
kloofyroland - 2012-04-13 8:00 PM

I use it to monitor my pace/100, SPL, and SWOLF scores. =)

+1
2012-04-14 8:45 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
I love that I have immediate Nd easy feedback to view before my next interval. Along with swolf, I look strokes per length vs pace, and efficiency.
2012-04-14 9:33 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
I swim at masters, I have no idea what pace most of the time.  All I know is that it kicks my a$$.
2012-04-14 10:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ft. mitchell ,al / columbus ga
i use it to keep track of my distance. becuase after a while i will forget. then I also use it to keep track of pace. as far as swolf. no really get all that. i know that i can swim pretty well consistantly.

2012-04-15 9:25 PM

User image

Waterloo

I find it helpful for counting laps during longer sets, and then logging the pace afterwards. I have it display the lap distance/lap pace/total distance and that seems perfect for me.

SPL is also useful for pointing out large problems with stroke rate, but since it only records the strokes on one arm, there's a large large potential for error in that number (eg. if it records "9 SPL", that could be 18-20 strokes counting both arms)... not a huge deal, but something to keep in mind.

Potential downside - It's made me very lazy...I don't even bother counting on sets longer than 100m now... just glace down every so often.

2012-04-16 2:55 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
I'm really enjoying it for intervals because then I can view them and analyze them on training peaks (I describe each interval when I upload the file) and it's SO nice to be able to do continuous swims without having to worry about the time.  When I breathe I glance at the wall clock and I swim at a consistent pace so when I close with a few minutes of when I should be done I see how many laps I have left to do and then start counting from there, usually 2-3 more laps.  I tend to lose count easily and it relaxes me to just enjoy the experience of swimming.  My main screen shows Interval info and then my second shows whole session info and the pace field is very nice also.  Haven't gotten into SWOLF yet.
2012-04-16 6:45 PM
in reply to: #4152702

User image

Master
Saratoga Springs, Utah
I do not see any files to download to training peaks for swimming. I will have to play around with it some more. I can only get it to Garmin Connect and link it in my training log.
2012-04-16 6:52 PM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah my TP doesn't recognize swimming files.  I upload to Garmin Connect through the website (they also don't appear in the Garmin PC software, Garmin Training Center), then download the GPX and import that into TP.  It's fast, though.
2012-04-19 2:43 PM

Bedford, NH, USA

At present TraininPeaks calculates swimTSS based on total time & total distance, so the utility is limited with SwimSense or Garmin 910XT.

I like the swim data better in SwimSense than Garmin Connect, but I expect both will be updating to be competitive.

I end up using both watches, as the Garmin cannot yet work accurately in pools less than 22yd, and I swim in a 20yd and a 25yd.

2012-04-19 3:07 PM

The first thing I do when a tri walks into a swim practice I coach is to tell them to take off the watch (we have four huge digital pace clocks).  It is disruptive and of zero value.  A good coach will write workouts tailored to their swimmers that make them improve over time.  Obsessing about SWOLF or 100 pace will not help you.
2012-04-19 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4161289

User image

Fast Swim - 2012-04-19 3:07 PMThe first thing I do when a tri walks into a swim practice I coach is to tell them to take off the watch (we have four huge digital pace clocks).  It is disruptive and of zero value.  A good coach will write workouts tailored to their swimmers that make them improve over time.  Obsessing about SWOLF or 100 pace will not help you.
It's nice to have a coach in here to offer their advice. I myself cannot afford a coach for any length of time, as my family's financial responsibilities come first. Therefore, something that can give me feedback out of the water after the workout, in terms I understand, in data that is measurable, where I can see if the self training I'm doing is paying off is worth it, especially if it costs less than a good coach. It may be 'disruptive and of little value' to those with a good coach in a good class, but to those of us who need to be a little more discriminating with our money (in my case I saved points on my debit card and used that to purchase, not sure of a coach that would accept those) the feedback is extremely valuable. I do agree that obsessing over SWOLF or 100 pace will not help you, that you need to actually get in the pool and swim! Knowing the metrics, however, isn't a bad idea so you can set a marker for improvement.
2012-04-20 9:27 AM

I still haven't seen a convincing argument for a watch.  What I see, and I see it a lot, is the ridiculous pressing of buttons on the send-off and then the subsequent panic to press buttons on every turn or at the finish.  This is incredibly disruptive to your training partners and lane mates.  Additionally, it causes you to have horrible form on your walls as you obsessively try to get a time.  The pace clock provides you all the input you need.  The time it takes you to glance at a pace clock is far less than screwing up your stroke to mash a button.    

It is far easier to write a workout that states the interval and desired repeat time within the interval and then, gasp, look at the pace clock. One group I coach has about 25 swimmers over 35 who can all go sub :55 in the 100 and they are maniacal pace clock users.  They can give me much more info about their swims simply from using the pace clock than the triathlete who comes in with the silly huge watch.  

2012-04-20 9:35 AM
in reply to: #4162513

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Fast Swim - 2012-04-20 9:27 AM

I still haven't seen a convincing argument for a watch.  What I see, and I see it a lot, is the ridiculous pressing of buttons on the send-off and then the subsequent panic to press buttons on every turn or at the finish.  This is incredibly disruptive to your training partners and lane mates.  Additionally, it causes you to have horrible form on your walls as you obsessively try to get a time.  The pace clock provides you all the input you need.  The time it takes you to glance at a pace clock is far less than screwing up your stroke to mash a button.    

It is far easier to write a workout that states the interval and desired repeat time within the interval and then, gasp, look at the pace clock. One group I coach has about 25 swimmers over 35 who can all go sub :55 in the 100 and they are maniacal pace clock users.  They can give me much more info about their swims simply from using the pace clock than the triathlete who comes in with the silly huge watch.  

I don't ever press a button unless I'm going to stop on the wall anyway.  Not sure how that is disruptive. 

The masters program in my area has gone down hill dramatically, to where I get nothing more than a written workout when I walk in the door.  No instruction, or help in any way.  So I'm forced to do things on my own.  I can't see myself swim besides a video if I can get my wife down to help me every once in a while.  As with the other parts of my training.  The more data I get the more I can analyze and improve.  My "big silly watch" is a GREAT, and I'm looking forward to using it more to it's potential.

2012-04-20 10:49 AM
in reply to: #4162539

Meulen - 2012-04-20 9:35 AM

I don't ever press a button unless I'm going to stop on the wall anyway.  Not sure how that is disruptive. 

Still no argument as to why it is better than the pace clock and a written workout.

I stand over hundreds of swimmers a week staring down at them.  Without fail, the silly tris who insist on pushing buttons at the walls instead of the swimmers who use the pace clock have terrible walls and their forms goes in the toilet.  I'm not sure why going home and analyzing data hours after a swim versus using a pace clock during a swim is better and this is the reason why swimmers don't wear watches.

2012-04-20 10:59 AM
in reply to: #4162734

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Fast Swim - 2012-04-20 10:49 AM

Still no argument as to why it is better than the pace clock and a written workout.

I stand over hundreds of swimmers a week staring down at them.  Without fail, the silly tris who insist on pushing buttons at the walls instead of the swimmers who use the pace clock have terrible walls and their forms goes in the toilet.  I'm not sure why going home and analyzing data hours after a swim versus using a pace clock during a swim is better and this is the reason why swimmers don't wear watches.

Being a triathlete I fail to see the importance of "wall form".  I understand some people don't like to change.  However, with data I can take home with me, I can then analyze my progress myself and see if what I'm doing is productive toward my improvement.  Yes, I can see the pace clock.  However, when I consult a coach online or otherwise remotely, I don't remember my time on the clock from the first set in the workout.  Guess what.....my Garmin does!   It can tell a coach what I did.  It's ok, some people aren't meant to change or adapt to technology.  Some people are just fast already and can just swim.  That's all good for them.  But the 910xt is good for me.  Sorry that upsets you and you have to deal with my disruptive behavior.  LOL

Edited by Meulen 2012-04-20 11:14 AM
2012-04-20 11:00 AM

Bedford, NH, USA

There are people who post to PowerTap threads that powermeters are a waste of money.

There are people who post to Cervelo P3 threads that fancy aero frames are a waste of money.

There are people who post to 910XT, PoolMate and SwimSense threads who that swim watches are a waste of money.

I always wondered why they felt compelled to do so...

2012-04-20 12:50 PM
in reply to: #4161289

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Fast Swim - 2012-04-19 2:07 PM The first thing I do when a tri walks into a swim practice I coach is to tell them to take off the watch (we have four huge digital pace clocks).  It is disruptive and of zero value.  A good coach will write workouts tailored to their swimmers that make them improve over time.  Obsessing about SWOLF or 100 pace will not help you.

And this is why I would never come to you as a coach.  I like the watch, I like the data.  As others have said, we don't all have coaches.  And I do take a printed workout.  The watch doesn't replace that.  The only thing that it replaces, is the need to remember every time differential of my workout so I can log it accurately and remember what I did.  

I love the fact that at the end of my workouts, I can look at data and correlate pace, strokes and distance to fatigue and loss of form.  In fact the other day, I was able to see intervals where by decreasing my stroke pace, I was actually increasing pace because I had less dropoff in my form.  Sometimes taking is slower is better.

So sorry, you coach your way and I'll continue to enjoy my watch and "Mash" my buttons.

2012-04-20 1:22 PM
in reply to: #4162758

Meulen - 2012-04-20 10:59 AM

Being a triathlete I fail to see the importance of "wall form".  I understand some people don't like to change.  However, with data I can take home with me, I can then analyze my progress myself and see if what I'm doing is productive toward my improvement.  Yes, I can see the pace clock.  However, when I consult a coach online or otherwise remotely, I don't remember my time on the clock from the first set in the workout.  Guess what.....my Garmin does!   It can tell a coach what I did.  It's ok, some people aren't meant to change or adapt to technology.  Some people are just fast already and can just swim.  That's all good for them.  But the 910xt is good for me.  Sorry that upsets you and you have to deal with my disruptive behavior.  LOL

It has nothing to do with technology adaptation.  I'm a huge believer in technology.  A good coach with a good workout and knowing their athletes can do 10X what a watch can do.  If you have a good workout that forces you to work on your shortcomings or maximizes your strengths the watch is a silly bauble that provides no value.  

So, you can stare at your watch and screw up your finishes or you can watch the clock IN REAL TIME, adjust your pace, etc.  

I realize tris think that every gizmo makes them better, but in this case, no, sorry.

2012-04-20 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4163148

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Fast Swim - 2012-04-20 1:22 PM
Meulen - 2012-04-20 10:59 AM

It has nothing to do with technology adaptation.  I'm a huge believer in technology.  A good coach with a good workout and knowing their athletes can do 10X what a watch can do.  If you have a good workout that forces you to work on your shortcomings or maximizes your strengths the watch is a silly bauble that provides no value.  

So, you can stare at your watch and screw up your finishes or you can watch the clock IN REAL TIME, adjust your pace, etc.  

I realize tris think that every gizmo makes them better, but in this case, no, sorry.

yes you are correct, a good coach knows his athletes soooooo well he can tell by looking at you what your lap time was last week! LOL Sealed

2012-04-20 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4163167

Meulen - 2012-04-20 1:31 PM 

yes you are correct, a good coach knows his athletes soooooo well he can tell by looking at you what your lap time was last week! LOL Sealed

A good coach knows all his swimmers and keeps track of their progress.  That's called coaching 101.

2012-04-20 2:34 PM
in reply to: #4163276

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Fast Swim - 2012-04-20 2:16 PM
Meulen - 2012-04-20 1:31 PM 

A good coach knows all his swimmers and keeps track of their progress.  That's called coaching 101.

Awesome!  you've made a great case here proving you know what we all need, or don't need.  All of us triathletes will now be practicing our "wall form" on our next OWS! lol

Seriously, thanks for your opinion.  You're entitled to it, that's fine.  A lot of us decided to spend good money on a device and are seeing success, or at least using it to reaffirm what we are doing is working.  You can call it "silly" if you'd like, but it works for us and is worth the cost to us.  We understand that cuts into your bottom line and are resistant to that.  But that's life 101.

2012-04-20 2:58 PM
in reply to: #4163335

Meulen - 2012-04-20  for your opinion.  You're entitled to it, that's fine.  A lot of us decided to spend good money on a device and are seeing success, or at least using it to reaffirm what we are doing is working.  You can call it "silly" if you'd like, but it works for us and is worth the cost to us.  We understand that cuts into your bottom line and are resistant to that.  But that's life 101.

I own one as well.  I don't agree that a watch affirms a training program or a coach.

Trying to convince tris to act like swimmers in the water is usually pointless and this discussion is just further proof of that.  When I can get a tri to swim like a swimmer in the water, the success is usually far greater, and that includes the watch obsession.  

Edited by Fast Swim 2012-04-20 3:00 PM
2012-04-20 4:02 PM
in reply to: #4163407

User image

Fast Swim - 2012-04-20 2:58 PM

Trying to convince tris to act like swimmers in the water is usually pointless and this discussion is just further proof of that.  When I can get a tri to swim like a swimmer in the water, the success is usually far greater, and that includes the watch obsession.  

Fast Swim - your opinions of triathletes seem to be pretty negative. I'm not sure why you felt compelled to log on to a website titled "beginnertriathlete.com" then start to say things that 99.9% of the population that logs on here every day will not welcome because we actively reflect the population that you hold such low opinions of. I am sure that if you sat down with a qualified triathlon coach, he or she could explain to you why tris don't swim like "swimmers" in the water, and your opinion would change. For now, your attitude towards us is offensive and disappointing, and your posts have provided no valuable insight. If you have something that would benefit us, rather than tear us down, we'd really like to hear it. Believe me, most of us would really love some great advice. In the meantime, please don't log on to a triathlon website and complain about triathletes. I did notice a few websites that might suit your needs to vent about tris, though. You might 'tri' swimforums.net or swimsmoothforum.com so your complaints can be better received.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 910XT Swim Data Rss Feed  

of 2