Cellcom Green Bay Marathon
42F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 09m 43s
Overall Rank = 70/1401
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 10/38
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5. Almost immediately drank a cocktail of HEED, banana and a Gu. Checked the weather. It was 42 F with a windchill of 39F or so. Got dressed, got the chip on my shoe, strapped on HRM stuff and headed out the door at 6.
Event warmup:

Jogged for a minute or so. I also did some active stretching about 15 minutes before the race start. At that time I also took another Gu and some water.
Run
  • 3h 09m 43s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

For my first marathon, I had a pretty good race. It would have been better if it wasn't for the side aches, but I finshed, made my goal of beating 3:10 and can't really complain about anything else. The first half of the race was awesome. Easy running. At the half I was at 1:29. Fastest I've ever had that split. I met up with a few guys I ran with in previous races and also at the training run. We a little group pacing off of each other and took some turns pulling when the wind got strong.
What would you do differently?:

1. Not take in so much water so soon.
2. Taper longer. I only tapered for 9 days and I dont think my legs were 100%.
Post race
Warm down:

When I crossed the finish line, I was so pumped I made it. Perma-grin! My fiance met me at the finish and we went to walk a little bit. I was somewhat dizzy so I sat down for a while, did some walking and stretched the areas that started to tighten up. After about 5-6 minutes of crossing, people that I knew started to roll in so I started talking to them for a while. After approx 15 minutes of finishing, I drank a mixture of HEED and Recoverite. An hour later I had another Recoverite drink while we were waiting for my mom to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. Having a full stomach. By mi 18-19 I had a full stomach and couldnt get anything else to go through me. It felt like everything in my stomach was sitting there. Thats about the time when my pace started to slow down too.
2. The wind. For the whole race, we probably ran 6-7 miles directly into a 10-15 MPH wind.

Event comments:

The whole event was put together so nicely. At the last 6 miles they had a band or some type of entertainment to help celebrate the wall and get everyone motivated to keep going. That was great. They had tons of volunteers all the intersections that we crossed were being controlled by a policeman. People were all over the course cheering for everyone. And you can't beat beer, brats and music at the finish line!

Last updated: 2006-03-08 12:00 AM
Running
03:09:43 | 26.2 miles | 07m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/38
Overall: 67/1401
Performance: Good
Avg HR - 163 Max HR - 174 (This was more than likely during the last kick at the end).
Course: The course was great. Only a few gradual hills and nothing steep or that you really had to give lots of effort to get over. They had water/gatorade stops every 1.0-1.5 miles. This was definetely a course where you had to watch your water intake and not take in too much (which I unfortunetely did early in the race). It was really sunny out and there was NW winds at 10-15 mph. They had Gu stops at 7, 14 and 20 miles, if I remember right. At the last mile we took a lap around Lambeau Field. That was cool! However, the lanes around the field were not very wide and there were some walkers walking in rows of 2 or 3 that we had to yell to get out of the way. I really enjoyed running through the stadium though.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %n/a
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-05-22 8:12 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Cellcom Green Bay Marathon

2006-05-23 7:49 AM
in reply to: #430856

User image

Waverly, IA
Subject: RE: Cellcom Green Bay Marathon
worst t-shirts ever! the shoe print on the one looked like a boot print, not a running shoe!
congrats again on making boston rob, and in your home town!
2006-05-23 8:50 AM
in reply to: #430856

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Holy Crap you're speedy!  WOW! Looks like it was a great day to be a Badger, nice race!
2006-05-23 11:37 AM
in reply to: #431145

User image

Expert

The shirts werent all that bad, but it does look like you just got kicked in the chest by GI Joe.

-ROb

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cellcom Green Bay Marathon Rss Feed