General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gear for swimming in cold pools? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-15 2:26 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: Gear for swimming in cold pools?

Okay, I know this is an odd question given my username and location, but in the summers, I  live and train in Oregon. if you know anything about the climate, you'll understand that means that the outdoor pool is almost always FREEZING!  I like to train with a local master's group but have had several workouts derailed when I became so cold I couldn't keep swimming (uncontrollable shivering, muscle spasms). Yes, I was swimming hard. It doesn't matter. I'm skinny and used to living in the tropics. I've tried wearing a long-sleeved rash shirt and a leotard-type long-sleeved swimsuit from Vietnam, but they're only marginally effective and drag is horrible. I like to swim all four strokes at practice and it's tough doing fly that way! Just wondering--is there any gear designed to keep one happy in a cold pool? Reluctant to trash a good wetsuit--have heard they're not meant for chlorine. I'm getting one for competition but I want it to last.

Would the best solution be to just get a cheap sleeveless wetsuit and trash it, or is there some other product? Do swimskins provide warmth or are they mainly for speed in competition? I know there are suits to keep kids warm. What about cold-blooded adults?

2012-04-15 2:51 AM
in reply to: #4151311

User image

Surigao
Subject: RE: Gear for swimming in cold pools?
Having done several years ocean sailing, with Sea Survival and Safety certs, about 75-80% of heat comes out of your head. Cold feet, put a hat onSmile. So maybe 2 or more swim caps. Keep groin area warm with tri short, or swim pants. keep as much water from escaping with your body temp, by wearing 2 swim suits. This may help, or slow it down. We used to wear wetsuits on skiffs, no arm, maybe check out a sailing gear store

Edited by nigelshort 2012-04-15 2:54 AM
2012-04-15 3:09 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Hmmm....I'm getting a neoprene cap for a tri swim, so maybe will wear that to the pool as well. Have tried the two regular caps and two suits but didn't help much. The only noticable benefit was from wearing the long-sleeved suit over a regular one, but the drag slowed me down about 10 seconds/ hundred and made fly all but impossible. Okay for solo training but it would make master's, literally, a drag!

Maybe should just get a sleeveless wetsuit--it seems like I'd then have the mobility for "fly" and if I'm only wearing it 2-3 times a week for 6-8 weeks a year, it shouldn't get trashed too quickly. At this point, I don't care if the other swimmers laugh at me--they do anyway when I have to bail on practice and they think the water's just fine!

Edited by Hot Runner 2012-04-15 3:12 AM
2012-04-15 3:31 AM

User image

Surigao

Why I sugested sailing wet suit, fairly cheap, any zipps in front. Used to get cheap wet suits for the kids. Fair choice. Check out on line.Just watch the thickness. Cheap is thin, good for moving, some have pading on knees etc. Or a 2nd hand tri suit and trash it. I used to do anything to keep warm, cuddle 21yr old guys(huddle, that is), and even moved to the tropics. No sailingCry Found tri, thats OKSmile

2012-04-15 4:10 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Get a couple neoprene caps--easier to trash those than a whole wetsuit actually -- you could probably order a sheet of neoprene pretty cheaply from China, and make your own caps and a snug vest. Tailors come cheap in Vietnam. If you can get your head and trunk covered, you're pretty good.

So neoprene cap with a silicone over it, EARPLUGS for sure (I do like the silly putty/silicone kind) ... and get your face into some cold water at the basin or fountain first. You are definitely skinny and prone to cold-itis, but it will still help with the perception/immediate acclimatization of cold, which will get you a little more yardage in the water.

Good luck. I feel for you.

2012-04-15 5:09 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Unfortunately, ordering Neoprene from China would cost as much as buying a wetsuit! As for the tailors, while they do a great job on my fashions with ethnic fabric, we have tried numerous times to get them to make trisuits or tops for our "club" but no go. They don't seem comfortable with tech fabrics--maybe they use different sewing equipment? It's frustrating as I know that probably trisuits AND wetsuits are made in Vietnam for export.....somewhere!  Didn't realize a sailing wetsuit was different from a tri-suit. I may have a local (in Oregon) source for that, and maybe, if I hit pay dirt, used tri wetsuits (kind of a Goodwill store for sports stuff). Yanti, you should be the expert on this particular question--can you swim fly/IM sets in a sleeveless wetsuit--in a pool?? Don't think sleeves or full legs would be needed in this case (it's still warmer than our OWS!) and seems like they'd be restrictive. Cuddling 21-year-old guys sounds like a good strategy but our master's group seems to be mostly geezers like me.

Edited by Hot Runner 2012-04-15 5:11 AM

2012-04-15 7:15 AM
in reply to: #4151349

User image

Melon Presser

Hot Runner - 2012-04-15 6:09 PM Unfortunately, ordering Neoprene from China would cost as much as buying a wetsuit! As for the tailors, while they do a great job on my fashions with ethnic fabric, we have tried numerous times to get them to make trisuits or tops for our "club" but no go. They don't seem comfortable with tech fabrics--maybe they use different sewing equipment? It's frustrating as I know that probably trisuits AND wetsuits are made in Vietnam for export.....somewhere!  Didn't realize a sailing wetsuit was different from a tri-suit. I may have a local (in Oregon) source for that, and maybe, if I hit pay dirt, used tri wetsuits (kind of a Goodwill store for sports stuff). Yanti, you should be the expert on this particular question--can you swim fly/IM sets in a sleeveless wetsuit--in a pool?? Don't think sleeves or full legs would be needed in this case (it's still warmer than our OWS!) and seems like they'd be restrictive. Cuddling 21-year-old guys sounds like a good strategy but our master's group seems to be mostly geezers like me.

fly/IM = wetsuit = SLEEVELESS = pool = does not compute

Shorty suits are cheap. Like, really cheap. And now you have me thinking of ways to make it chlorine-resistant. Special shampoo before and after?

You could paint the whole thing, inside and out, with boat sealant. And that may or may not help. But ...

2012-04-15 7:35 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
Keep a thermos of coffee at the end of the pool?  Or even just hot water.  Warm yourself from the inside out maybe?  Might help just enough.
2012-04-15 7:45 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

I bring hot herb tea or coffee to every master's practice. It helps a little. Sometimes enough to get me through it, sometimes not. And take some ribbing for that, too!  My other strategy is to swim in a lane that's too fast for me and basically never stop. I still freeze between sets, though, and by the end, I'm shivering as I swim (as well as about to puke from swimming all-out for 3000+ meters). Would just do it on my own indoors but don't have consistent access to that pool and the master's group is well-coached and otherwise fun. I always train solo here so it's a nice break from that--if I could just get warm!

Yanti--I wasn't asking if it would look cool (gave up on that long ago), but if it's physically possible! It can't look any more stupid than fly in a long-sleeved Vietnamese "swimsuit" with purple and turquoise flowers over a regular Speedo. (You missed your chance to see it--I brought it to Bali for jellyfish defense and I wore it with my tri shorts to chase the reef fishies in Lembongan!)

Edited by Hot Runner 2012-04-15 7:49 AM
2012-04-15 9:16 AM

Keep the head warm and you will stay warmer. Try a "bubble crepe cap", much cheaper then a neopreane cap and more streamlined less bulky , warm especially if worn over a regular silicon cap making a very waterproof cap , plus they come in a bunch of colors and head sizes all on line at various places and Ebay.

What San Francisco bay local swimmers use.

Cold water swim caps http://openwatercaps.blogspot.com

Warm cap and dry hair double capping http://dryhairswimcap.blogspot.com

Edited by peggyswims 2012-04-15 9:35 AM
2012-04-15 10:21 AM
in reply to: #4151319

User image

Master
Tyler, TX

nigelshort - 2012-04-15 2:51 AM Having done several years ocean sailing, with Sea Survival and Safety certs, about 75-80% of heat comes out of your head. Cold feet, put a hat onSmile. So maybe 2 or more swim caps. Keep groin area warm with tri short, or swim pants. keep as much water from escaping with your body temp, by wearing 2 swim suits. This may help, or slow it down. We used to wear wetsuits on skiffs, no arm, maybe check out a sailing gear store

I have a hard time believing the 70-80% part. 

If this were true we'd all be running around naked but with a hat on!

Brian

2012-04-15 3:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

ya that 75% heat from your head things a myth

2012-04-15 7:42 PM

Don't feel bad,  a few years ago I joined the local health club and their indoor pool was too cold for me!

I wear one of these:

http://www.aquasphereswim.com/us/index.php/products/performance-wear/aqua-skins

I have both the long leg sleeveless and the shorty- are very flexible and don't restrict my swimming at all.

2012-04-16 7:43 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Thanks for the link. It's a bit over budget but if it held up for a few summers would be worth it. My gut feeling is that if my core and thighs were inside something more insulating, I would be warm!  I assume yours have held up well to chlorine?  Or do you mainly use them for OWS?  How often do you swim with them? Also, forgive my ignorance (almost all my OWS has been in the tropics), but what's the difference between an aquaskin and a wetsuit? Is the former meant to be worn as a suit by itself, as opposed to over a swimsuit or trisuit? Could the aquaskin also be used for ocean or lake OWS (practice or swim-only races) where it wasn't quite cold enough to need a full wetsuit, or just paddling and snorkeling around looking at fishies? Just curious!
2012-04-16 8:23 AM

Expert

When I bought my wetsuit the sales guy told a story about a petite water aerobics instructor who got cold easily.  She would wear a wetsuit into the pool every day.  He said that she went through 4 suits a year and that they were DESTROYED when she brought them in.  Though I guess the place she taught paid for them so she didn't care.  I bet the shop loved it though!

Of course this does not in any way help with your dilemma!  For that, I've got nothing.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gear for swimming in cold pools? Rss Feed