Red Rock Co.
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 25m 53s
Overall Rank = 51/222
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 13/50
Pre-race routine:

I followed a race taper according to Joel Friel's new triathlon book with detailed plans. However, I did my last training day on Thursday. I felt lethargic, tight and heavy on Friday, a little worried! Saturday, I felt better, I started eating a lot more to build up stores. Sunday, I felt ready to go and loose. I did nothing, no training, only mild stretching leading up, I didn't want to injure or strain anything.

I woke up at 5am for an 8am start, at breakfast at 6am. I ate a breakfast similar to what I eat everyday, unfortunately at Mcdonalds, which I don't really like, but at least the small egg and cheese mcmuffin and coffee is pretty close, drank lightly, since I didn't want to have to go pee during the event. I took a gel shot about 20min before the swim.
Event warmup:

I really didn't do much. I felt loose and anxious, ready to go. I did some small strides of about 10 sec each and some light stretching, but really felt ready to go. My blood was pumping, my HR was around 75 to 80.
Swim
  • 31m 56s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

I went in thinking that I could get a 26 to 27 minute time.
What would you do differently?:

I had no training prior to this. I had never swam a continuous 1500m. I WILL have to train.
Transition 1
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

I need to work on getting onto bike better and into shoes.

Not much, I spent about 15 to 20 sec too long, but it was more on purpose and to refocus after swim.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 49s
  • 25.5 miles
  • 22.90 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike was my strength, and I executed an almost perfect race for me. I use 2 packets of Accelerade in a 25oz water bottle, but after 2 sips, I got slight stomach trouble with heart at LT of 160. I back down HR to 155, do let stomach work a little and didn't drink any more. I grabbed a water bottle at an aid station and sipped a few ounces of water to dilute the sugars and stomach behaved after that. I kept at perfect LT for the entire race, no lactic burn except on sharp, short hills, then back to race pace. Absolute joy of a race. I passed everyone, only 2 bikers passed me, both Pro doing the HIM race, and they weren't going that much faster than me.

I got 4th fastest in age group. There is not much more, I would do differently, except to not use a thick gel solution. On an oly race, I'll carry a smaller bottle and a more diluted solution. On a sprint, I won't carry anything.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Nothing really to change, just get a little faster doing it.
Run
  • 44m
  • 6.23 miles
  • 07m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, I ran 2' slower than planned, off about 15" per mile pace. I had some cramping coming up on the last mile of the bike on my right hamstring and flexor. I got off bike and could only muster a 7'20" pace off of the bike for the first 5 miles. Also running without socks was painful as the shoes were chewing up my feet. I paced with another guy the last mile and sprinted to finish.

I don't know, I just need to get more strength in my hamstrings. I did notice an HIM pro run by and he was on his toes, doing probably a 6'30" pace, but it looked like he was floating. I was jealous. I still need some form practice.
Post race
Warm down:

I went to a therapy tent to work on my right hammie which had nearly froze.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My right rear hamstring on the run, and my FUCKING pathetic swimming.

Event comments:

The best race, but only my second tri ever. I want to get faster.

Well, the top 6 or 7 places in the overall results came from the 40 - 44 age group, only to find out that some of these contenders are national champions with years of experience. As a 43 almost 44 yo male, in a year or so I'll be next age group and would have finished about 5 or 6. If I could actually get a good swim at 26 to 27' I would have gotten 7th place in this race, with no other improvement. I am going to work my ass off.

I am proud of and own my results, with the thought that I WILL get faster.

Last updated: 2012-01-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:56 | 1640 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 40/50
Overall: 141/222
Performance: Bad
Subtract a minute since that is how long it took me to get out of water and to the transition area before timer went off.
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Out and back in Tempe Lake
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:48
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:06:49 | 25.5 miles | 22.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/50
Overall: 18/222
Performance: Good
Well, it was olympic, but the distance according to 2 sources, Garmin and Power Meter was 25.5 mi, not 24.85.
Wind: Little
Course: An awesome out and back with 200ft total elevation change, up then down.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:44:00 | 06.23 miles | 07m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/50
Overall: 52/222
Performance: Average
Course: Around Tempe Lake
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-04-16 1:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Subject: Marquee Triathlon - Olympic

2012-04-16 6:53 PM
in reply to: #4153793

User image

Veteran
, Arizona
Subject: RE: Marquee Triathlon - Olympic
That's an amazing race!  You swimming isn't quite as pathetic as mine though.    Amazing bike and run splits though...very impressive!
2012-04-16 6:56 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Great job. I am a 43 year old male amateur athlete who has been doing this sport since only 2006. I won this race yesterday. No ex-pro's in the top 6, just guys working hard as well as working real jobs, my man. Train smart, get fast, love it.

Quick addition, there were no pro's in the Half either. There were three pro's, Lewis Elliot and Matt Russell and Angi Axmann in the race but they all did the Sprint.

Edited by bryancd 2012-04-16 6:57 PM
2012-04-17 9:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
A very nice result, considering your comments (never having swam 1500m straight before, etc).  We sit in one of the most competitive AG's (M40-44) with dynamite athletes like Bryan Dunn, Dan Beaver and others who live in the valley and are rock stars.  If you are looking for the podium, there is only one way to get there......beat those guys, which will take a ton of work.  Managing a top 10 finish is an incredible accomplishment these days and in this AG.  Keep working on it, for only your 2nd Tri you have awesome results.  Congrats!
2012-04-17 11:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo

Thanks for the props, guys, yes, I am hard on myself.  I'm happy with the results.  I just had the impression that I could do a 26 to 27 min swim, and I had been able to do 42 min 10k's on bricks, just didn't get it done this time.  I had a lofty goal of 2hr 15min.  Oh, I know that I have to work to get results... I just put in a painful 4 months of training to get this far... and regearing for another painful (yet excited) 20 week plan for the SOMA HIM... I want to go sub-5. I did have a background of cycling, running and weightlifting since 20 yo. just never pursued anything seriously until last year.

As for everyone, I am proud of everybody too.  this sport combines at least 2 of my passions, cycling and strength training. I love this sport!

As for Bryan, those are phenomonal results... esp. to almost go below 1hr on the cycling, and then run 6 min/mi pacing, WOW!  That is a goal of cyclists everywhere, much less doing it after a swim, and having a 10k afterward.  I did it in my twenties, and would certainly love to do it again, if possible.

My comment about pros, was just what I heard in the crowd... sorry... I'm not trying to take anybody's efforts away.

Edited by tomspharmacy 2012-04-17 11:10 PM
2012-04-18 7:34 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
No worries and thanks for the kind words. Look forward to seeing you back out there!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Marquee Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed