TBF Racing
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 49m 35s
Overall Rank = 161/259
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 20/25
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at the hotel at about 5:05 am. Woke the rest of the family, ate breakfast, then suited up. Packed everything back into the van and headed to Granite Bay. Breakfast was my usual carnation instant breakfast and 1% milk. Once I had checked in and got set up in transition I ate a scoop of sunbutter and a banana.
Event warmup:

No real warmup. Walked down and got into the water. Let a little water into the suit BRRRRR! and let it heat up. Swam about 25 yards and then got back out to stand on the shore waiting for my wave to start (wave 3)
Swim
  • 15m 25s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

I tried to go out very easy. Wadded out and was one of the last to start swimming. Bilateral breathing the whole way on every third stroke. Took a look for sighting every second or third breath. Had to switch to breast stroke for a few seconds each time I sighted and was taking a breath each time too. That got me a mouthful of water and a short coughing fit at one point. I never felt like I got into a steady rhythm during the swim.
I did smack a foot once during the first 200 yards, but managed to stay clear of contact again until the first turn. Got a kick in the right shoulder from a guy who turned very abruptly at the buoy. I thought I'd left him enough room, but I guess I was too close.
When my wife called out my split time to me on the run up to T1 I was shocked. I was expecting to swim about 17:30 and I came in under 15:30. Sweet!
What would you do differently?:

Try to get into that steady rhythm and not take a breath when sighting. Have more confidence that I can pass someone.
Transition 1
  • 03m 54s
Comments:

Run up from the water was long. Feet were numb from the cold water, but they felt the asphalt when I got into transition and I had to walk a little. Getting out of the wetsuit and into glasses, helmet, socks, and bike shoes went pretty smooth. I chose to wear bike gloves because the course is very rough, they did take a while to get onto my wet hands, but I was glad I had them for the ride.
This race allows athletes to ride their bikes within the transition area. In my opinion this could be dangerous. However since it was allowed and since the path to the bike start was clear (I was starting from the 3rd rack from the bike start) I did mount within transition.

Set up further back from the bike start. It got very crowded on the racks that close the the "front" (so much for arriving early to transition. I still got squeezed by later arrivals)
Bike
  • 45m 36s
  • 13 miles
  • 17.11 mile/hr
Comments:

I went pretty hard on the bike for having very little bike training leading up to this race. The bike is my favorite part of tri though and it just felt too good to be out there on such a technically challenging road course to slow it down.

Train, Train. Train! Get those bike miles in during the winter next year.
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Found someone's bike re-racked right on top of my stuff. Their front tire was actually between my shoes and dead center of my towel. I was "not pleased" and may have been a bit more forceful than necessary when sliding their bike over to get to my gear.
Bike shoes off and running shoes on was quick. I swapped helmet for hat, put on my race belt, and off I went. I tried getting my Global trainer started while walking to the run start but it never acquired a satellite link.

Rack further away from the bike start. There was plenty of room further back in transition. Run right through to run start. Maybe take the time to put on the heart rate monitor.
Run
  • 42m 42s
  • 4 miles
  • 10m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out of T2 and my legs had the familiar feel of rubber bands. I went out a little too fast; probably an 8 m/m pace. 1/2 mile in I had a side stitch coming on so I backed it down a lot. No use, the side stitch came on full force anyway and by the time I reached the first steep downhill I was forced to walk down it. I managed to jog to the aide station at mile 1 and grabbed some Gatorade and drank it while I walked. Then back to an easy jog while walking the steeper uphills and downhills. At mile 2 while running across a sandy/muddy stretch of shoreline I stepped on a buried rock with my right foot and it gave one way and my ankle gave the other. I stumbled sideways and at that instant my right quad just above the inside of my knee cramped. From here it felt like I was climbing stairs for 30 floors. I stopped 5 different times to try and stretch out the cramping muscle. I felt pretty miserable at this point about how bad my time was going to be but there was nothing I could do but "soldier" on. Once onto the flat last 1/2 mile or so the cramping was under control enough to finish pretty strong. I even "raced" another guy to the finish at a full sprint. He beat me by 1/2 a step and we high fived after with big grins on our faces.

Train for steep uphills and downhills. Wear trail shoes. Could definitely used more aggressive tread.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, drank water, then a chocolate milk. Tried to keep the cramping leg stretched and moving.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The cramping on the run and lack of trail run training.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed this race. My goal time was to beat 2:00:00 and I did that so overall it was a success.
The trail run was tough on me, but I could see myself doing the event again next year.

Last updated: 2012-01-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:25 | 880 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/25
Overall: 95/259
Performance: Good
Suit: Synergy Adrenaline Full Sleve
Course: Dry start from the shore. Run out through the shallows until it is deep enough to swim and then get down to business. The course angles out from shore to the right. Left turn around a buoy at around 250 or 300 yards. Parallel to shore for 250 or 300 yards or so then left turn around another buoy and straight on to the swim exit.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 55F / 13C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:54
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:36 | 13 miles | 17.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/25
Overall: 163/259
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: The course follows the roads within Granite Bay park. The course winds around and has many short climbs and descents. These roads have not been repaved in a long time and they are very rough. The edges have raveled in many places, Tree roots have buckled the surface in places. There are a few potholes. Sand covered parts of the roadway in at least one area.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:42 | 04 miles | 10m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/25
Overall: 197/259
Performance: Bad
Course: The first 1 mile is about what I expected from a trail run. Some flat to start and then single track climbing along the shoreline. A short but steep downhill or two and then you reach the first mile marker. A stretch of mud and then onto sand near the 2 mile mark. Across some rock and then lots of downhill with a few uphills sprinkled in. At 2.5 miles you start a climb that gets steeper the higher you climb and seems to never end. It does end though and from there on you run/slide down some very steep downhill stretches. The finishing 1/2 mile is pretty flat on a decomposed granite trail to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-04-17 2:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA
Subject: ICE Breaker Triathlon

2012-04-17 9:50 AM
in reply to: #4154911

User image

NH
Subject: RE: ICE Breaker Triathlon
Sounds like a fun race with some challenges.  That cold water sets the tone, a rough bike course can really be a drag, and trail running is fun but so different than the road.  It’s always great to find someone to sprint to the finish.  Next time he’s yours!  Great start to the season.
2012-04-17 7:46 PM

User image

Great job, Vero! It's always nice to start out your first tri of the year beating your goal time. I've never done a tri where they allow you to ride in transition. Interesting. Way to go!
2012-04-17 9:04 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Very nice race!  I think it's great to hear you raced last weekend.

The swim was very fast!  Very nice!!  The wetsuit really helps a lot to keep you high in the water.

For the first race of the season I think you did a spectacular job.  You're going to have a great season!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ICE Breaker Triathlon Rss Feed