United States
Threhold Racing Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 4s
Overall Rank = 34/539
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/14
Pre-race routine:

We did not drive down for pre-race packet pick-up yesterday. Going forward I will make it a point to pick-up packets because it's one less thing we have to do the morning of the race. And, for some reason, it seems like from the time you arrive at the race - no matter how much time you allow yourself - to the start of the race, it feels like the race is going to start in 5 minutes. I always feel rushed at these events.
Event warmup:

Honestly, not much. By the time I peed for the 3rd time, set up transition, etc., the announcer was ordering all over 40 males to the start line.
Run
  • 07m
  • 1 miles
  • 07m  min/mile
Comments:

The 800 meter swim was cancelled today due to poor water quality, and a 1 mile run was substituted. Upon arrival, I took a peek at the lake and I understand why the swim was cancelled. Can you say gross? I'd be afraid swimming in that lake & of getting a mouthfull of goose crap. Not sure I'd enter this race again unless the location were to be moved to a cleaner lake.
Transition 1
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Slight downhill slope coming out of T1 made getting up to speed really easy.
Bike
  • 45m 46s
  • 13.75 miles
  • 18.03 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out spectacularly flat, and then about half-way through the course, hit what seemed like an endless climb. After reaching the top, it was a quick descent back to Almaden Lake. I wished I had a 12-25 cassette for the unexpected climb today; it would have allowed me to spin a little better. After reviewing the elevation map & Google maps, it appeared this hill was mostly on the olympic course, while the sprint course made a different turn & went through a golf course, instead. We clearly did not go through a golf course.
What would you do differently?:

I wish I had another gear. And, i wished I'd reconned the course beforehand. I was not expecting a hill climb like THAT! In the moment, the climb felt epic, but relative to other Bay Area climbs it was truly uneventful.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Had a little trouble with my right shoe; it's time to get some yankz laces!
Run
  • 24m 22s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Drank water at aid stations. Started off with a side stitch that went away about half way throught the run. At about the 1 mile marker I passed this tall dude with a tattoo sleeve. Upon returning, I passed him again (we were running in the same direction) with about .5 mile to go. I could swear tattoo guy did not run all the way to the turn around point at mile 1.5, otherwise I would have passed him for the second time heading in my opposite direction. Cheater? Whatever gets you through the day.
What would you do differently?:

Remind myself to not eat a Pancho Villas regular burrito the night before. Everybody poops, except ME! My burrito sat in my gut on this run and it was very uncomfortable. Had I been able to take care of business before the race, this run would have look a lot different.
Post race
Warm down:

It was really warm by the time I finished the race, so I hung out near the finish line in anticipation of Tim's finish & stretched a bit. It took me a few minutes to get past a mildly-nauseous feeling once I finished the race. So, we walked over to a shaded picnic table and briefly sat down & drank a 12 ounce bottle of water. After drinking water, I walked over grabbed some fruit, a bagel with cream cheese, and a performance beverage...oh, and a snow cone! We walked around a bit, checked out our results, and then headed back over to the transition area to round up our goods and drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Damnit Pancho Villa!

Event comments:

Given my observation of Almaden Lake, I would not be inclined to sign-up for this triathlon next year. While event organizers put on a great event, the lake is truly disgusting.

Last updated: 2011-11-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:07:00 | 01 miles | 07m  min/mile
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 0/539
Performance: Good
AVG HR: 154/MAX HR 163
Course: Flat
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:19
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:45:46 | 13.75 miles | 18.03 mile/hr
Avg HR: 159/Max HR 170
Wind: Some
Course: Flat, mostly, but with what seemed like an endless hill at the half-way point. Loved the descent, though.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:24:22 | 03 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Ave HR: 156/ Max HR 162
Course: Flat; out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-04-22 7:22 PM

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
Subject: The Metro Triathlon

2012-04-22 7:28 PM
in reply to: #4165998

User image

Veteran
San Mateo, California
Subject: RE: The Metro Triathlon
Good job on the climb and the whole event!  There was no way I could keep up with you.  Good thing we're in different age groups this year.
2012-04-26 4:33 PM
in reply to: #4165998

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA

Good race report! Yep, the whole situation with the water quality at Almaden Lake stinks, doesn't it? I also wanted to get in a good swim on Sunday, but it wouldn't have been worth it. I also doubt I'll sign up for any future events at Almaden Lake.

Anyway, best of luck in the upcoming Morgan Hill Sprint Triathlon. I'm sure the "pristine" waters of Uvas Reservoir will be much more inviting than Almaden Lake...

2012-04-26 10:53 PM
in reply to: #4175549

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
sdswriter - 2012-04-26 2:33 PM

Good race report! Yep, the whole situation with the water quality at Almaden Lake stinks, doesn't it? I also wanted to get in a good swim on Sunday, but it wouldn't have been worth it. I also doubt I'll sign up for any future events at Almaden Lake.

Anyway, best of luck in the upcoming Morgan Hill Sprint Triathlon. I'm sure the "pristine" waters of Uvas Reservoir will be much more inviting than Almaden Lake...

Thanks!  Unfortunately, I am also scheduled to race in the SV International Tri which takes places in the same lake.  I JUST realized today we're swimming at Almaden....

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Metro Triathlon Rss Feed