General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oxford, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
40sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 28m 16s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Chicks 30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/15
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, after sleeping for a total of maybe 3ish hours. It seems for some reason I decided I should just lay awake in bed and toss and turn from about midnight until almost 4 AM, alarm went off at 5:00 AM. Ugh. Grabbed Coffee, and Pop Tarts (ummm pop tarts, my love of race season is pop tarts) and we headed out the door.
Event warmup:

Um, yeah, so the warm up, what was that?!? Oh yeah that was me standing and watching my FTP change my TUBE in my front tire because when we went to pump it up in the garage - no pumpy, pumpy...freaking great. Thank goodness I had a spare tube and my FTP who changed it for me, otherwise I would have been screwed, although...the front tire did cause problems anyway, see the bike section of the RR. Still, extremely grateful for my FTP's willingness to change the tube and NOT yell at me about not having checked the night before, thanks honey, you're the best. So after wrestling with this and rushing into transition to rack and set everything out, I made it into the pool area just as they were starting pre-race announcements and had closed the pool for warm-ups. Eh, it's not like I would have warmed up anyway.
Swim
  • 08m 20s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

Eh, the swim was a swim. I actually didn't register myself for this race, my FTP did as a gift and he slated me for an 8:00 swim, I was like what?!?!? I can't swim that fast...turns out, he really wasn't that far off and this swim was actually a tie for my course PR on this race, so...I would say things went well, especially if you look at my swim volume. I need to learn how to use the walls better and I got smashed at the second wall by the guy that was clogging the lane ahead of me. I was almost ready to pass him and then we came up on the wall and he decided to cut diagonal and smashed me into the wall, so...I swam up and started slapping his toes until he let me by...he shouldn't have been a jerk then I wouldn't have been a jerk.
What would you do differently?:

Find more time for swim training maybe.
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

I was wet, it was cold, I actually managed to get a long sleeve shirt on without too much effort, what killed me was trying to get all the pebbles and stones off the bottom of my feet before putting my bike shoes on and really, uh, I should really know which was was bike out for this race since this is the third time I've done it. I definitely lost some seconds there because I decided to run the wrong way.

Pay attention.
Bike
  • 51m 29s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 14.49 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was a total disaster. First and foremost, I have NO, I said, NO, bike fitness and the little climbs and rollers on this course were about enough to kill me. I was slow, and the wind didn't help any. Then, remember that Tube-Change that happened in the dark parking garage before the race, yeah, well, things started to malfunction and I didn't have the tools, knowledge or time to stop and fix it once I got out on the course so, I road with a serious warble from where my tube was trying to extend beyond the rim and rubber, really I'm just thankful I didn't blow the tire. This little problem also kept me from bombing down any hills to try and make up some speed and also kept me out of aero for most of the course because I kept thinking, "if this tire blows and I go down, being in aero will suck worse then if I'm in the drops" alas, this is probably one of my worst bike splits ever for a sprint distance course, but lack of bike fitness is no one's fault bu my own. It's also no secret, that I HATE THE BIKE, so it is what it is.

Train more and not have a flat the morning of the race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

I couldn't get my feet into my running shoes because they were completely numb - d'oh.

Well the weather could be warmer and then I wouldn't have had the running shoe problem.
Run
  • 25m 21s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

I was really happy with this run. I haven't been able to break 9:00/mile on a run in a race since the middle of last season and actually this is one of the fastest run times I've had for a sprint race run split. Once I got into my shoes and took off, I felt really good, I didn't even really have brick legs, although that may have been more due to the fact that I was so glad to get off the bike because sitting was putting pressure on my bladdar and making me have to pee, so when it came to the run, I was moving -- I had to pee the whole run, but I wasn't going to stop in a sprint, and I do NOT believe in peeing on myself - ick. In any case, I was actually able to pick off several people and run them down on this run, including the stupid chick on the bike that I leaped frog with and she gave me a dirty look the last time I passed her on the bike. I saw her in front of me on the run and I chased her down, she looked over her shoulder as I was approaching and tried to speed up, I pulled up next to her and ran beside her for just a moment then sped up past her, she tried kept pace for about three steps and then fell off. I didn't see her again until I was well past the turn around and headed back and she was still headed out to the turn around. I know, I know, petty, but it made me feel good...my bike fitness may suck but at least my run fitness is decent.

Run more.
Post race
Warm down:

Immediately after crossing the finish lines I had to pee, so I went and pee'd. Then I grabbed some clothes and stood around and shivered while waiting for my FTP and other friend to finish the race before heading home for a hot shower and then out for beer and pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. I was out for the first two weeks of March I did absolutely NOTHING because of illness. I'm hoping I can get the training schedule back on track now.

Last updated: 2012-03-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:20 | 437 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/15
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: 50 Meter Lap Pool Serpentine Swim
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:51
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:51:29 | 12.43 miles | 14.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/15
Performance: Bad
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Rural Roads around Oxford
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:21 | 03.11 miles | 08m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/15
Performance: Good
Course: Flat out and back through Miami U Campus.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-04-23 7:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon

2012-04-23 6:05 PM
in reply to: #4166561

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: RE: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon
I have seen many weird and awkward bulges at the triathlons but that aneurysm of a sidewall on your tire was the scariest - you rode on that thing? You better be nice to that fellow who changed your tire.
2012-04-26 11:34 PM
in reply to: #4166561

User image

Delaware, OH
Subject: RE: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon
Does this mean you will visit me more in Cowtown for some riding???
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed