Big Shark
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 25m 53s
Overall Rank = 167/186
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 14/16
Pre-race routine:

This was my first duathlon and I haven't done a tri in almost 2 years so I was a little nervous going into it. I've also been doing all of my bike training on my trainer so wasn't sure how I'd handle being out on the roads.

I got down to Laclede's Landing about 45 minutes before start time, located the transition area a got my bike set up. Didn't need much, just my helmet and bike gloves. Went back to the car to take off the sweatshirt/sweatpants and then used the portapotty before heading to the start line.
Event warmup:

The 3/4 mile walk from transition to the starting line on the bridge.
Run
  • 17m 33s
  • 1.5 miles
  • 11m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Just as we're getting ready to start, the rain started. Just a light rain but it continued on through the whole race. I started to get a little concerned since I've done running races in the rain before but I've never ridden in the rain. Figured I'd do the run and worry about that when I got to transition. The run went pretty well - took a little longer than I had hoped but overall was good. As I was running down the hill to transition though, I kept thinking that we were going to have to run up this hill after the bike since the 2nd run was a reversal of the first.
What would you do differently?:

Not much - went pretty well.
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

I got back down to the transition area, put on the bike gloves and helmet, took a quick drink of water and was on my way.

Maybe wear the bike gloves during the first run segment - would have saved some time trying to put them on wet hands.
Bike
  • 46m 37s
  • 9.76 miles
  • 12.56 mile/hr
Comments:

Out of transition, 4 turns up a zigzag pattern to North Broadway for 2 loops. The roads were a bit rough in spots and there was some gravel but it was all well marked with plenty of volunteers to help steer you around those areas. Once I got up onto Broadway, I got into the big chain ring and just started pedalling away. The loop was flat and there were some people really flying out there. I took my time considering the weather conditions but still felt like I was keeping a decent pace. The weather was a bit of a distraction at first. During the out portion of the loop I was riding into the wind with the rain in right in my face. The back portion wasn't so bad since the wind was at my back. Did the loop a second time then headed back to the transition area.

I was almost back through the zigzag (one turn left before transition) and I come upon a large group of riders standing there waiting for a train to go by. To be fair, we had been warned in the race instructions that it was possible but it was a little frustrating. I was ready to be done and off the bike. I would imagine the other 40 or so people were feeling the same way. I had to wait about 5 minutes, not sure how long the first people to get there had to wait. Finally the train passed and everyone took off down the hill and around the last corner, except for me. I was moving a little slowly because of the wet pavement and the RR tracks and apparently it was a little too slow. The tracks got me and down I went. I landed pretty much on my knee although there wasn't much damage - probably due to the slow pace, but I didn't know if I'd be able to run. Figured I'd check it out in transition.

Not fall on the RR tracks. Other than that, not much. The ride felt good.
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

I finally made it back, racked the bike, took off the helmet, checked out my knee and headed out for the 2nd run.
Run
  • 19m
  • 1.5 miles
  • 12m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Wasn't sure how the knee would do, it was already starting to swell up and since I knew I had a pretty good hill to go up to get back on the bridge, I started off with a run/walk. Overall the legs felt good, not that heavy feeling I sometimes get running off the bike. It was still raining and I was completely soaked through, but almost done, so just keep moving. Kept up the run/walk for most of the time. Took a little longer than I wanted but I was happy just to finish.
Post race
Warm down:

The 3/4 mile walk back to transition from the finish line. Gathered up my bike, back to the car, put on some dry clothes and headed for home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cold and wet conditions, bike crash.

Event comments:

Can't change the weather and really, that was the only negative thing about the race. It was a nice, short race - good for testing things out at the beginning of the season. And good for beginners.

Last updated: 2012-04-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:33 | 01.5 miles | 11m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 169/186
Performance: Good
Course: The run course started in the middle of Eads Bridge (the first bridge ever built across the Mississippi). Run to Illinois, turn around and run back to Missouri and then down to Laclede's Landing to transition.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 02:04
Overall: Good
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:46:37 | 9.76 miles | 12.56 mile/hr
Overall: 166/186
Wind: Some
Course: Out of transition, up a bit of a zigzag and onto North Broadway for 2 loops then the return to the riverfront.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:41
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:19:00 | 01.5 miles | 12m 40s  min/mile
Overall: 157/186
Course: Reverse of the 1st run. Starting at Laclede's Landing, up onto Eads Bridge, over to Illinois and back to the finish in the middle of the bridge.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-23 4:27 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: Eads Bridge Duathlon

2012-04-23 9:17 PM
in reply to: #4168115

User image

New user
KY
Subject: RE: Eads Bridge Duathlon
Great job on your duathlon!  Sorry about the railroad tracks- that just HAD to hurt!  
2012-04-24 5:51 AM
in reply to: #4168652

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Great race despite the train tracks!  Good experience for you... man I would have been pissed to have to wait for the train and have all the people I just passed catch up to me... I get pissed on training rides having to wait!  And those train tracks are dangerous when they are dry, but lethal when they are wet, glad you didn't get hurt!!  You are ready now to TRI!!!
2012-04-26 7:34 PM
in reply to: #4168907

User image

Veteran
Austin
Congrats are your first Du!!  Awesome job.  I've read a number of stories of people going down on railroad tracks, glad you are okay.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Eads Bridge Duathlon Rss Feed