The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 56m 31s
Overall Rank = 662/1500
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 133/199
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:15, banana and yogurt with water for breakfast. Arrived about 6:15 to transition area. Had plenty of time to arrange gear and chat with by training buddy Mike. Tried to stay warm (air temperature was very chilly) and relaxed.
Event warmup:

Light stretching and nothing else. Starting Monday of race week I had been battling strepp-like illness and race day was the first day since that I woke up without a sore throat. Knowing I was still somewhat weakened I didn't want to push it by running a warm-up.
Swim
  • 21m 53s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

As I've learned in previous years, I lined up to the right of center and planned a straight-line course to the far buoy, instead of swimming for the first bouy. This eliminates a bend in the course and (theoretically) gives you a better line to the first turn. During the start I got tied up in a knot of swimmers from which I couldn't seem to break away. I finally swam wide to get some clear water and was able to fall into a rythymn. During the swim I kept feeling like I was wide, but I prefer this over swimming to close to other swimmers. I find this course to be very easy to navigate and I had little difficulty making my way through the course. I suprised myself by matching my PR on this course to the second. I came out 11th in my age group and 72nd overall, not bad in a field of 1500 racers. If only the bike and run went so well......
What would you do differently?:

Nothing - I was happy with my swim. I wanted to have a good swim since I was pretty sure my bike and run splits were going to suffer, and I swam harder than I normally would have in an olympic distance event.
Transition 1
  • 03m 29s
Comments:

I suprised myself with a PR for this race by nearly a full minute. I didn't do anything really different, it just went smoothly. I think I had some extra time before the race to really make sure everything was in place and that helped. I also have become more used to stripping off my wetsuit, which came off easily.

Someday I'll try having my shoes on the bike and putting them on while mounting the bike, but I have other more productive fish to fry in this sport....
Bike
  • 1h 28m 11s
  • 25.48 miles
  • 17.34 mile/hr
Comments:

My bike training has been weak this year so I did not expect to set any PRs on this day, especially after being sick all week. Still, at the start of the first real climb on Homewood I was shocked at how weak my legs felt. I had nothing on the hills, so I just settled in for the ride and spun up the hills best I could. At times the hills knocked me below 10 mph, but I just didn't have enough strength to push a higher gear on the climbs. In the end I was 4 minutes slower than last year and almost 6 minutes of my PR. Still, it's hard not to enjoy being on my bike, no matter the conditions, and I just tried to relax and make up some time on the downhills.

Drink less - I consumed approximately at least 36 oz Accelerade along with 2 gel packs and I felt a little bloated. I think I was sub-consciously trying to find the 'magic energy' I was missing and I over consumed. In the cooler air the fluid loss due to sweating was less of an issue in this race, so probably 1 large water bottle would have sufficed.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

An uneventful trainsition, but I did PR by 30 seconds. Learning from past mistakes I peeled my cycling gloves off while running to the racks. The bike racked easily and my speed laces made the shoe transition easy. I skipped drinking in T2, opting to wait until on the run course, and I grabbed a few gel packs and pocketed them.

Not much, except someday I may work on coming out of my shoes while still on the bike. But again, I have other areas of improvement that will be far more productive.
Run
  • 1h 01m 20s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

The first 2 miles my splits were a respectable 9:02 and 9:06, but after mile 2 things just fell apart. I never did re-gain the strength in my legs to handle the climbs so I found myself walking some of the steeper sections and walking the water stops. Miles 3 and 4 were the low point, battling the hills in the neighborhood, averaging 10:30 miles. Miles 5 and 6 improved slightly as the end of the race approached. In the last 100 yards I was passed by 3 runners in my age group, I just didn't have anything left to hold them off. My time of 1:01 is several minutes off my PR on this course.

Once again I overcompensated with nutrition. Back off of the gels a bit to avoid some of the bloated feeling I had during the run.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Undertrained. Overweight. And getting sick the week of the race didn't help.

Event comments:

This is, without a doubt, the premier olympic distance race in the Mid-Atlantic, perhaps in the country. Race organization, direction, volunteers, and police and community support are all top notch.

Last updated: 2006-05-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:53 | 1640 yards | 01m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/199
Overall: 72/1500
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless wetsuit
Course: Counter-clockwise open rectangle course in a smooth, spring-fed lake. Course is very well marked with yellow and orange buoys. Start is an in-water start in deep water, so everybody is treading water when the gun goes off.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:29
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:28:11 | 25.48 miles | 17.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 153/199
Overall: 617/1500
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: This course is one of my all-time favorite rides, and it is known for its abundant climbs. It is a constantly rolling course with some 40+mph downhills and some pretty steep climbs.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:01:20 | 06.21 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 172/199
Overall: 721/1500
Performance: Below average
Course: 10K course around Centennial lake and surrounding neighborhoods. There are several major climbs on this course, starting with a moderate climb in the first 1/4 mile and continuing with at least one climb per mile until the end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-05-25 12:15 AM

User image

Expert
MD
Subject: Columbia Triathlon

2006-05-25 9:20 AM
in reply to: #433588

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Columbia Triathlon

Nice race overall and really great swim!

Your pre-race prep (the sickness) sounds a lot like my sister's.  Sorry 'bout that, but glad you were well enough to enjoy the day out there.  Really is a great race (even with that cursed run course ).

2006-05-25 11:00 AM
in reply to: #433829

User image

Expert
MD
Thanks,

It was fun. I love this race - I see it being an annual event as it has for tha last 3 seasons. Even with the run course! Actually, I often run this course just to get in a good 10K run, and typically the hills don't bother me too much since most of my training runs are in hilly areas. This year, however, with minimal training, they knocked me on my butt pretty hard.

Are you doing any more regional races this year?
2006-05-25 12:08 PM
in reply to: #434047

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

econway - 2006-05-25 11:00 AM Thanks, It was fun. I love this race - I see it being an annual event as it has for tha last 3 seasons. Even with the run course! Actually, I often run this course just to get in a good 10K run, and typically the hills don't bother me too much since most of my training runs are in hilly areas. This year, however, with minimal training, they knocked me on my butt pretty hard. Are you doing any more regional races this year?

I train in a hilly area too and those hills still got me.

I'm doing Philly next month and then a sprint race down by the Jersey shore in July (Jersey Genesis).  Heading up to NH for Timberman in Aug.  Undecided about Sept.  Have thought about the 1/2 at ChesapeakeMan or even the aqua-bike.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbia Triathlon Rss Feed