General Discussion Race Reports! » Drake Relays On The Roads Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Drake Relays On The Roads Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Des Moines, Iowa
United States
Drake Relays On-the-Roads
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 50m 23s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 686/691
Pre-race routine:

Tried to stay true to my normal race routine. However four days of being sick made the previous night long with little sleep. I got a about four hours of sleep that were anything but restfull. I could not get comfortable and I was coughing with an already sore throat.

In the morining I was up about one hour before I had to leave. After a quick shower I got dressed in my ususal garb. It consisted of compression tank top, compression capri, a large blue slinglet, and my faviorate blue shorts. Completed it with my socks and faviorate running shoes. Tossed my hair up in a bun and headed down to breakfast.

This hotel left a lot to be desired for their breakfast bar but I made due with what they had. I ate an English Muffin with peanut butter, apple juice, coffee, and a yogurt. After a quick last look around my room I was met with a sinking feeling; I managed to forget my GU packs, looks like I'd have to face the run with no support.

Two years ago when I ran this I made the mistake of showing up an hour before the race start and I spent most of that time driving around looking for a parking spot and finally had to pay $10 for a lot spot. This year I arrived two hours early and had my choice of spots. I went with a free curb side spot a mere five blocks from the start line. After I picked up my packet and walked it back to my car, secured my race number to my race belt and headed back to the start area all of the curb side parking were full and people where having to pay for lot spaces.
Event warmup:

Spent most of my time in the Drake Stadium since it was cold, overcast, and windy. I walked around the track some and spent more time stretching. With 30 minutes to race start it was a last stop to the bathrooms and headed outside.

By now the wind had slowed down and I could walk around and warm up my muscles and stretch. I decided last minute to grab my long sleeve shirt and slid it over my shirt until I warmed up on the run.
Run
  • 2h 50m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

How can I say my run went? Ah I know: It sucked!!!!! Like I said eariler I've been sick for four days, did not get a good night sleep, and had no GU with me. Three strikes and I already haden't crossed the start line!

I decided to take the first three miles easy while using the Jeff Galloway method of run/walk with a 5:1 minute ratio. The first three miles flew by and I felt great. I was still running in a pack of several thousand and the energy was infectious. By now I was plently warm and slid off my long sleeve shirt. I refused to toss it alone the side so I carried it.

Miles 4-6 I kept up my same ratio but decided to pick up the pace slightly. I continued to feel great and was still running with a large group of people. With a 10k split of 1:09:57 I was right on track for a negative split.

Miles 6-7 I started to feel the effects of prolonged sickness and no GU. The course only provided water which I was drinking just enough. At the end of mile 7 I had slowed down to my first three mile pace and was rapidly loosing speed and energy. No nose was running like no other and I was also coughing up nastly looking large chunks of thick mucus out of my lungs. I was thankful I had my thick long sleeve shirt to use instead of having to let it run down my face or get it all over my running close.

Miles 7-9 My left hip was in so much pain. Every step I took I could feel my left hip pop sending vibrations down my leg and up my spine. This served to make me winch at every step. Soon my right knee stated to feel the pain of tring to take on some of the work of the left leg. I was soon reduced down to a VERY slow run for one minute followed by an even slower walk which was really a shuffle. I soon noticed that my breathing was totally out of control. I was actually gasping instead of taking smooth and easy breaths. I seemed to have lost any form of control, I actually started to get concerned looks from people watching from their lawns.

Miles 9-11.5 was by far my darkest time. I was so hungry, my breakfast was long gone and burned by my body. I could feel my belly and body screaming for more than just water. I didn't dare close my eyes because every time I did I got dizzy and went stumbeling across the street. At one of the water stations I truly wanted to quite, accept my very first DNF in three years of racing. The only reason I didn't was because I'd have to walk back to the finish line anyway so I might as well continue. By this time I was hobbling at alone for 5+ minutes with a 30 second glorified shuffle. I soon realized that I could move faster with less pain and dizziness at a fast walk. I could see barly see a few runners ahead of me in the distance, I gaave up hope of catching up with them. My hope for a PR was replaced with just wanting to finish in time.

Miles 11.5-13.1 I was despirate to finish, I resorted to using my iPhone that I stuck in my pocket and started texting a friend. I had nothing else to keep my mind off the pain. There it was, I could see the finish line banner in the distance, I picked up my walk and started going as fast as my tired sick and hungry body would allow. At a quarter of a mile left I dug deep within myself and grabed hold of the last bit of running energy I had and crossed the finish mats moving at a pathetic run.
What would you do differently?:

Not attempted to run while sick. Two days before the run my doctor advised me not to run it. He doubted if I could make it at all let alone saftly. I also would remember my GU packs and eat around the halfway mark and more if needed.
Post race
Warm down:

Stumbled into the shelter and ate a quick orange slice and some yogurt. I was so hungry but I just could not stomach what was served to me. I used the walk back to my car to stretch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being sick, not having my GU, little sleep.

Event comments:

I will be back next year to challange the race and end on a better note with better times.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-04-28 12:00 AM
Running
02:50:23 | 13.1 miles | 13m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/691
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Course: Mostly flat with a lot of turns as it wound through the Des Moines neighborhoods. Some small hills were present but nothing to bad.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-04-28 5:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Drake Relays On The Roads Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Drake Relays On The Roads Half Marathon Rss Feed