General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Kemah Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Memorial Hermann Kemah Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kemah, Texas
United States
Onurmark Productions
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 02m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke - rubbed eyes - ate bagel w/peanut butter, banana, coffee and juice
Event warmup:

Shook out the arms as we rode towards the drop-off point on the paddle boat.
Swim
  • 38m 45s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first Oly, and my third triathlon. After about 100 meters I started to hyperventilate, and even panicked a little. I had to calm myself down. Once I was "calm" I tried to get into a groove but couldn't. My breathing sucked and thus my stroke and technique went out the window. The waves of course weren't helping. But in the end, I sucked it up and pushed through. I was battling myself out there as much as I was fighting the chop and clock.
What would you do differently?:

Try to do more open water swims with crowds. My conditioning wasn't the issue. From what I understand, hyperventilating thing is fairly common for newbies such as myself. I've got to learn to deal with it, relax and push past it.
Transition 1
  • 03m 46s
Bike
  • 1h 24m 29s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.65 mile/hr
Comments:

The first 11-miles was tough. We had a strong head wind on our outbound ride. The crowds were brutal as well. Riders were bunching up, blocking the passing lane. The refs rode by just passing out penalties left and right. It's like people didn't care or know about the various rules. I really tried to push through the crowds - which I did and didn't get a penalty. Not precise, but I believe my average speed outbound was about 14 mph. The turn around was great. With the wind at my back I was averaging around 24 mph I believe - sometimes faster sometimes slower. I was zipping by plenty of other racers, although my overall average time was somewhat disappointing. On the return trip I saw at least three wrecks.

Not sure what else I could do. I just need to keep up the training for endurance and speed. Dealing with wind, I believe, is just part of the challenge which I accept and embrace.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Run
  • 53m 27s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Right off the bike I could feel the slight tingling sensation of cramps in my legs. Damn - I didn't drink enough on the bike. The first few aid stations I grabbed Gatorade and didn't push myself as much as I had planned. My though was I didn't want my cramps to get worse. I kept passing other runners but I wasn't going as fast as I had trained for. Later on after the race my mother told me that it looked like I had plenty of energy and that i was "just cruising along." OUCH! She was probably right...ok she was right. Not sure why I held back during the run but I did. Maybe I was conserving my energy for the bridge, didn't want to increase the cramp issue but either way I'm not sure.

Leave everything out on the race. Push harder during the run and drink more on the bike.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Myself. The only reason i didn't go faster was because of me.

Last updated: 2012-02-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:45 | 1640 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: TYR
Course: Time Trial start off boat swimming directly towards the shore. The jump off was awesome. The woman telling every one to jump was very pumped up. "Go Go Go..left side, right side, Go, Go, Go" - Awesome
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:46
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:24:29 | 24.85 miles | 17.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:53:27 | 06.21 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 38/
Performance: Below average
Course: Great fun course! There was plenty of things to see and it wasn't boring at all.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-05-01 10:44 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, Tx
Subject: Memorial Hermann Kemah Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Kemah Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed