General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Kemah Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Memorial Hermann Kemah Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kemah, Texas
United States
Onurmark Productions
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 42m 16s
Overall Rank = 115/800
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 9/51
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at the Passport Inn and checked my bike on Saturday. Woke up at 4:30, showered and had some peanut butter and a banana. Walked over to finish setting up transition and reallized I forgot a couple of things. Walked back to hotel, used the restroom and walked back to transition. It was nice staying that close to transition.
Event warmup:

Warmup was walking to the boat. After I got to the boat it was pointed out that I still had my glasses on, oops. Found a real nice OUM staffer who took my glasses and got them to my bike. Whew, tragedy diverted.
Swim
  • 31m 18s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

I don't know how my time was as good as it was. It must have been the current helping out. This felt like my worst swim ever. I could not get any rythm and resorted to breast stroking most of the way.
What would you do differently?:

I need to get some OWS practice. The only time I get in the open water is race day. Not a good plan
Transition 1
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

From this point the race seemed to get better. It's about 1/4 mile from swim exit to transition (It didn't take this long to walk from hotel room to transition.) Coming out of the water was a little crowded, but the wetsuit strippers were quick.

I think the only thing that could help would be some swin to bike bricks to get used to running after a long swim.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 58s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.88 mile/hr
Comments:

With my shoes already clipped in I did, what I thought was, a nice running mount (not a flying mount) and got up to speed fairly quickly.
Heading N on 146 for a short ride before turning south for a 10 mile ride into a headwind. I can't be sure but I think my average speed was around 14/15 mph. My goal on this part was to not burn my legs up. I stayed in a comfortable gear that I could maintain a 90-95 cadence.
It got bunched up a few times and I saw the officials writing some numbers for drafting and blocking penalties.
After that turn back onto 146 it was smooth, and fast, sailing. COming over the bridge I got up to 31mph and coasted for a while. Kept my speed around 24mph+ all the into Kemah.
Before the final turn to the dismount line I rode with my feet on top of my shoes and hopped off the bike right at the line.
The turn west was a welcome relief with the wind for a couple miles. A u turn back into a head wind then north back to Kemah.
The

I was happy with this ride. I took a drink every 10 minutes and had a gel at 10 and 50 minutes into ride. Came out feeling good.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

I have been doing three bricks per week since February.

Keep doing bricks
Run
  • 47m 27s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I wanted to make sure I din't go out too fast and blow up on the bridge. I think all those bricks really helped. Came out of T2 strong and relaxed. Just before mile 3 I felt like I had a pebble, or something, in my shoe. After the aid station I stopped to take my shoe off but I didn't see anything fall out. Put it back on and ran some more. Stopped again and took my sock off this time, still nothing. Put shoe back on and hoped pebble (or whatever) would move and continued on the rest of the race. Going over the bridge the was easier with the wind than the return. As soon as I got over the bridge and passed the final aid station I started picking up speed and ran to the finish.
Once past the finish line I took my shoe off again and saw that it was a blister on my foot. This is the first time I ever got a blister on my foot. The only thing I can think of is the new insoles I put into my bike shoes didn't allow my feet to dry enough on the ride.

I'm not really sure, maybe not stop and take shoes off. Also, I am definitly going to wear socks during the ride at IMTx.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and got some food. Watched some of the finishers then I went to the hotel and took a shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me. Stopping on the run probably cost me a couple of spots in my AG. It was 2 seconds between me and 8th place and 30 seconds between me and 7th place.
I stuck with my plan on the bike and run. The swim was my only dissappointment.

Event comments:

All in all I am very pleased with this race. I beat last years time by 7 minutes and set a new PR for Olympic distance by almost 3 minutes. It was, also, the first time I got into the top ten in an Olympic race.

Last updated: 2012-04-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:18 | 1500 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 15/51
Overall: 0/800
Performance:
Before getting in the water my HR was 116. 40bpm higher than normal. I need tofind a way to relax and get my HR down.
Suit: sleeveless
Course: Supposed to be a straight swim.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 03:08
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:18:58 | 24.85 miles | 18.88 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/51
Average HR 155
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: L shaped out and back. There was a very strong wind coming from the SE.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:47:27 | 06.21 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/51
Average HR 166
Course: Single loop through Kemah, around the boardwalk, over the bridge (twice) then to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-05-01 7:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston/Richmond area
Subject: Memorial Hermann Kemah Triathlon - Olympic Course

2012-05-01 7:58 PM
in reply to: #4185017

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Kemah Triathlon - Olympic Course
Good job man.  It was a fun time out there.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Kemah Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed