General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Kemah Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Memorial Hermann Kemah Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kemah, Texas
United States
Onurmark Productions
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 46m 22s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Very different for me. We stayed in a condo overnight thanks to Tru Tri which was lovely. However, I didn't have my regular coffee or breakfast and felt very rushed.
Event warmup:

Walk to boat.
Swim
  • 42m 16s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Keeping in mind I will be reading this race report when I get ready to jump off this damn boat again next year I will not get too descriptive.

This was my worst swim ever. The first 200 was OK but then the freak out. Hugged a kayak and met Dennis who was lovely and reminded me to take one buoy at a time. I counted the yellow buoys - 6. Swam, counted strokes, swam, went to breathe and inhaled a bunch of the gulf resulting in a coughing fit and there goes the HR again. Looked for Dennis but he is nowhere near, counted the buoys - 6, saw the boat picking up athletes and saw at least 6 people in the boat. Thought about getting in the boat but that boat has a motor which would mean surrendering my chip. I am not willing to do that. Nobody is going to get you out of this but you Keri so move your ass.
What would you do differently?:

Not panic. This is my fault. Not enough OWS practice, not respecting the distance (even though this is my 3rd time doing this race), not being prepared with what keeps me calm - Rescue Remedy was in my tri bag but forgot to take in the rush that was my morning.
Transition 1
  • 06m 30s
Comments:

Wetsuit strippers on the left which threw me off. Got the suit off and started jogging to T1 when I quickly realized that much of the gulf in my belly has an immediate effect. Running had to turn into walking. Dropped the suit grabbed a water bottle and headed to the porta potty.

Taking the water bottle was a good call = bidet. HAD to go just wish I could have done this faster.
Bike
  • 1h 33m 51s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 15.89 mile/hr
Comments:

The headwind was pretty brutal. I hate wind but need to spend more time in it. Had a hard time with the wind and gusts keeping my power consistent. The tailwind on the way back was great but wishing I had hit it harder.

Go faster.
Transition 2
  • 04m 4s
Comments:

Again with the porta potty. My thought was to do this in T2 instead of during my run so it wouldn't affect my run time/pace.
Run
  • 1h 19m 40s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

The first mile I just could not move as fast as I wanted to. Second mile was better until 2.85 when the GI issues reared their ugly head BAD. Hoping for a porta potty at mile 3 but didn't see one. I did see a public bathroom, I reached for the handle and it was locked! A woman sitting there watching the race told me she could unlock it for me and swiped a card *angels singing* a toilet with paper and EVERYTHING! This took too long.
The good news is that was my last pit stop. I picked up the pace a bit until the bridge. I ran until I felt my calves begin to cramp up then ran another 100 steps then walked to just before the crest of the bridge, twice. Tried to pick up pace on the way down. Finished OK but not awesome, wishing I had picked up the pace a bit sooner. I only walked on the bridge so that is pretty good for me.

Not have GI issues, bring my water flask, go harder, not worry so much about blowing up. Keri, here is the deal, if you blow up you can slow down and get your HR back down and then pick it up again don't be such a pansy ass.
Post race
Warm down:

Met at finish by Ken and Karen followed soon by Tru Tri folks :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

GI issues. I know I also burned a lot of matches fighting the gulf.

Event comments:

Timing issues again but they are changing that finally which is all I can ask for. This is a great race, I hope next year I can do well here. The third time was not the charm.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:16 | 1640 yards | 02m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Jump off boat swim to shore.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:30
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:33:51 | 24.85 miles | 15.89 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: 146, right to some other road then back to 146.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:04
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:19:40 | 06.21 miles | 12m 50s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: 1 loop, follow the signs over Kemah bridge twice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-05-03 9:43 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: Memorial Hermann Kemah Triathlon - Olympic Course

2012-05-03 10:55 AM
in reply to: #4188050

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Kemah Triathlon - Olympic Course
You are much stronger than I.  Given the course conditions I'm not sure how much I could have stuck out with those GI issues.  Very impressed.
2012-05-03 10:22 PM
in reply to: #4188050

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Kemah Triathlon - Olympic Course
You have a lot to be proud of. Solid race that was full of challenges. Always good to see you smile at the finish.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Kemah Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed