Charm City Run
61F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 41m 43s
Overall Rank = 91/188
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 21/158
Pre-race routine:

I hurt my back in February, so hadn't decided whether I wanted to do this race or not. The day before I figured what the heck. The race begins and ends less than a half mile from my house, and my house is around 200 feet from part of the course. I ran a 5k on Friday (slowly) so was still a little sore from that. But I decided to run it anyway. My family and I walked down to register the morning before, and I picked up my bib. That was the extent of the "pre-race routine."
Event warmup:

I got up at 6, thanks to the alram I set and the baby. I had some coffee and generally tried to strech out my sore legs. Around 7 I changed and then walked the dog to get moving. It was still raining at that point. At 10 till 8 I headed out the door, and got there a few minutes before the start. I love races in my own neighborhood.
Run
  • 1h 41m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal for this race was to simply pace well and continue recovering from my back injury. I ran this race last year, and did terribly, so really wanted to pace well. It was raining lightly for the first 3-4 miles, but if finally let up and was just humid. Fortunately, unlike last year, it was only ~61 degrees. I tried to take it easy for the first half or so, knowing there were still some big hills to come. I basically paced by heart rate, trying to keep it around 160. Ultimately, I did a really good job at that. As I got close to 10 miles, I realized I had some strength to spare, so started to speed up. I thought I had an outside chance at under 1:40:00 (didn't happen), so kept that in my mind as well. I saw B, LJ, and Dexter at mile 10ish, then twice more in the neighborhood. LJ had made me a sign (well, she's 6 months so Mommy probably helped), and was learning to cowbell. I finished as strong as I could, considering there were still some big hills at the end.

Mile splits: Mile / Pace / Avg HR / Elevation change (ft)

1 / 7:22 / 146 / -8
2 / 7:47 / 156 / +24
3 / 7:58 / 161 / +37
4 / 7:47 / 157 / -60
5 / 8:05 / 160 / +57
6 / 7:59 / 163 / +53
7 / 7:47 / 161 / -4
8 / 7:32 / 162 / -26
9 / 7:47 / 159 / +2
10 / 7:28 / 163 / -54
11 / 7:24 / 166 / -56
12 / 7:45 / 167 / +14
13 / 7:51 / 171 / +42
13.19 / 7:02 / 174 / -3
What would you do differently?:

Nada
Post race
Warm down:

Hung around the finish chute for a while. I grabbed some Dunkin Donut holes for noms. I do wish there had been a plate or napkin or something to put them on. Also, my hat was dripping sweat into the pile of holes while I was picking mine. Sorry about that, folks. I met up with B, LJ and the crazy Dexter Dog near the finish. We took Dex to see Dozer the dog who got so much publicity for banditing the course last year. They both wanted to play, it was cute. I also saw a co-worker / neighbor who had come out with her daugher to cheer me on, which was nice. B and I chatted with them for a while, along with another co-worker that raced, then headed back home as I was freezing. It's about a half mile walk from the finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injuring my back, primarily. It's still bothering me some, but I've been really trying to rehab it as best I can. Racing a 5k on Friday didn't help. I was really sore for the first ~2 miles, but then didn't really notice it much after that. Alough when I got to the end and wanted to kick into that "extra gear" it was largely gone.

Event comments:

This is definitely a good, well-organized race. It's a fun environment, nice and small, and in a good community (mine). The crowd support was a bit smaller this year compared to last, mainly due to the wether I think. The medals are cool, and the shirts are OK. They are UA, but for some reason the neck is cut really small. I had to strech the hole just to get my head in (while B laughed at me). Oh well. The post race food was plentiful and good, and the band sounded pretty good as well.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-05-05 12:00 AM
Running
01:41:43 | 13.1 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/158
Overall: 91/188
Performance: Good
Course: The course is a challenging loop through Howard County, MD. As I said, I basically live on the course so I know the roads around here, but this course is tough.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-05-06 2:56 PM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Subject: Maryland Half Marathon

2012-05-07 12:01 PM
in reply to: #4193544

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Subject: RE: Maryland Half Marathon
Great job man! Thats pretty awesome that you can walk right out of your house into the starting line of the race.
2012-05-08 5:37 AM
in reply to: #4193544

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Subject: RE: Maryland Half Marathon
Nice job Josh. Glad you're recovering well from the back injury.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Maryland Half Marathon Rss Feed