US Road Sports & Entertainment Group
58F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 01m 3s
Overall Rank = 2256/6235
Age Group = F33
Age Group Rank = 192/654
Pre-race routine:

Stayed out in Long Branch with friends the night before, so woke up at the hotel and drove to the race. Hung out in the car for about an hour, ate peanut butter and jelly and some water.
Event warmup:

Some stretching before hand and dancing in the corral.
Run
  • 2h 01m 35s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I was thinking of this as more of a B/C race, and wasn't really focused on it. Training had dropped off a bit since the NYC Half two months earlier, but I knew this was an easier and flatter race. My initial goal was to stay at the same time I had run two months earlier (2:07:31), but I started out a little faster, and just stayed that way. I felt strong and in my stride throughout the race. Had my first GU at Mile 4.5 - eating half of it then, and half a mile later. Took water at all but the last aide stations.

Around mile 8, I knew the mental challenge started. I thought to myself - imagine this is the triathlon - you are just off the bike - THIS is where the real race will start. Pushed easily to ten, then eleven. I knew I was running a good pace - somewhere around 9:15/9:10s and I wanted to maintain it to the end. Mile 11 was tough, but I just kept telling myself I was almost there. Got to the end, and for the first time, still had enough will-power and mental energy to kick to the end and sprint over the line. Finish time - 2:01:35
What would you do differently?:

I want to have better goals along the way - I think having a better sense of what I want my pacing to be to accomplish a goal I've set, not just relying on the Garmin, but really working for it more.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a little bit, waited for people.

Last updated: 2012-01-25 12:00 AM
Running
02:01:35 | 13.1 miles | 09m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 192/654
Overall: 2256/6235
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat race along paved roads in the suburbs.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes