Tri-Maine
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 09m
Overall Rank = 37/243
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/10
Pre-race routine:

Got set-up in transition and had to wait a while until the pool warmed up. Pretty general stuff. Figured out the layout and entry/exit points for transition.
Event warmup:

Did a couple laps in the pool to find out that my tri top was more like a parachute.
Swim
  • 08m 29s
  • 525 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had the advantage of being in the lane with a friend of mine who I knew was a pretty good swimmer as well. I started out great and within a couple lengths had a body length or so on him. About half way through I started losing my form and my breathing got very labored. Not something I am used to in the pool. I had to breath every other stroke. By the end I was glad it was over.
What would you do differently?:

No tri top. That's for sure!
Transition 1
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Just couldn't get into my shoes very well at all....But at this point it was taking time off my bike time, not my T1 time.

Just practice getting in my pedals.
Bike
  • 30m 26s
  • 11 miles
  • 21.69 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt good during this bike ride. It took me a while to get into my pedals...like probably a good 20 seconds. It was pretty ridiculous. I was able to pick off people one after another and ended up passing my swim lane partner about 1/3 of the way into the bike. I didn't end up getting passed by anyone. Traded spots with one guy about 3 times before T2, but overall my legs felt good and I was cruising along well. Breathing was labored. I'm happy with this ride, but have a long way to go before I'm near the front of the field speed-wise.

Drop the front on my bike a bit. I can tell I could be a bit more aero.
Transition 2
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

Happy that I left my race belt off until the run. Powder in the shoes also an awesome move.
Run
  • 25m 48s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

I was cruising right along during the first mile. My watch shows sub 8 min/mile. Right about mile 1.2 both sides of my abs cramped up. The actual muscle. Never had this happen before and tried to run through it, but couldn't take a deep breath at all. The whole rest of my run I spent trying to figure out how to breath...couldn't get a rythm at all. Lots of turns and twists in this run. No hills at all though. My legs at no point felt fatigued or sore...no lactic acid build up at all. My legs were ready to run all day long, but my lunges wouldn't let me go.

No idea.
Post race
Warm down:

None....analyzed my run too much in my head. Couldn't eat anything at all. My stomach was tightening up all cramped every time I put something in it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Couldn't breathe at all.

Last updated: 2012-04-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:29 | 525 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 50/243
Performance: Below average
Suit: TRI TOP AND SHORTS
Course: This was a pool swim. Wasn't really sure what to expect. A portion of the swim included climbing out of the far end and running out of the pool house and down to transition.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:30:26 | 11 miles | 21.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 25/243
Performance: Good
HR monitor fell down and wasn't getting accurate readings.
Wind: Little
Course: Relatively flat course with a couple rolling hills. Nothing big. Great fun and a good course to build and carry some speed.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:48 | 03 miles | 08m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 97/243
Performance: Average
None...stupid HRM.
Course: Portion on road...mostly off road, field and trails.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-05-07 11:14 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Subject: Polarbear Triathlon

2012-05-07 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4194968

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: Polarbear Triathlon
Good report.  GREAT bike and swim and even a good run, sorry about the cramps though.
2012-05-07 1:28 PM

User image

NH

Overall this is a nice first tri of the year.  Probably should have tried a swim in the tri top prior to race day!  I expected your swim to be off the charts, so I'm guessing that shirt had quite a bit of drag to it.  Great bike as always.

Not sure what to say about the run.  I had cramps for the first time ever on my tuneup run for the half marathon just this weekend.  I figure I had eaten and drank too much pretty close to the run (within 90 minutes) and that was the reason.  Did you eat or drink more than normal close to the race?

2012-05-07 1:48 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Jonathan, I've experienced that tri top parachute thing...even from tri tops I'd been using--the material eventually relaxes.  In my case I ditched it and raced sans top. 

If it's not tight enough around the waist it's a balloon, if it's too tight around the chest it honestly restricts breathing in a way that interferes with running performance.  This is obviously dependant on an individual's build, but the best solution I've found so far is to just buy the top a size too small and count on a front zipper to open up and expand my chest when I get off the bike.

A couple of important questions....were you saying you were trying to EAT in this race?  Heck, you shouldn't even have taken water!

And when you say your sides cramped...you said muscle.  So are you actually saying that you got a charlie horse muscle spasm cramp in your obliques or intercostals?  I've only had this once before and I was almost needing an ER trip (because my legs and neck and chest and arm muscles were also doing it). 

2012-05-07 7:27 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

This looks like a good race.  It sounds like you were pretty comfortable with most aspects of the race.  It also sounds like some small errors that cost you too but they also sounds like they were unforeseen as well.  The whole tri top is something I never would have thought about.

The running cramps are something I don't think I have experienced.  I have had my own issues with stitches but it sounds like you may have experienced something different.  I am wondering if you may have been a little dehydrated through the past week and it carried over a little into the race.

Placing 4th in your AG is very respectable and I will be happy to be able to place that high in many of my races this season.

2012-05-07 8:06 PM

User image

Bronze member

Solid race Jonathan. This is what the first race of the season is for, working the kinks out.

Last year for my first tri of the season I wore a tri top and shorts for a pool swim. When it was time to warm up I pushed off the wall - my shorts pulled down and my shirt went up. I went straight into the locker room and changed into a trisuit that I threw in my bag at the last minute. I know just what your talking about!

Your bike leg was smokin fast and it sounds like your run is right there.

Now get back to the wedding plans .

2012-05-08 4:26 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

Karl, thanks man...it's a good start.

Warren, yeah...I expected a faster swim also.  The guy in the lane with me expected to see much faster numbers as well..the actual swim was probably right around 8:10 minutes.  Which only puts me at 1:33.  That's all right, but way slower than I have been seeing in practice.  Not sure what the deal is there.

Jeff, answered your questions in the group forum, but yeah...almost like a charlie horse in my abs.

Dirk, you're absolutely right. Small errors that just added up.

Dina...that's right.  Just have a lot to iron out.  We'll get there.  And yes....back to wedding planning.

Edited by jgerbodegrant 2012-05-08 4:27 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Polarbear Triathlon Rss Feed