General Discussion Race Reports! » Wildflower Triathlon - Mountain Bike Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wildflower Triathlon - Mountain Bike Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bradley, California
United States
Tri-California Events, Inc.
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 9s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I was completely on my own for this race...friends backed out and turned out that my daughter had 3 events to attend to that day. So my husband stayed to do the running around with the kids. Plus I told him my time would not be no longer than about 1:15-1:20 min. ;)

I had packed everything the night befores. Woke @ 3am Race day, made oatmeal & coffee & headed out. Ate about 1/2 my oatmeal and 1/2 a cliff bar.

Was just about to enter the park when I saw a single porta-potty by the side of the road...perfect!@!... B/c we know what the potty situation is like at any event...so I pulled over used it. Then drove the 1/2 mile to the park enterance. Arrival time..approx 6:45. Got parked right away, chilled a bit, ate the rest of my oatmeal & the remainder of my Cliff bar.
Then pulled out my gear & bike & headed down to packet pick up and then on to bike rack where I met instant friends!

Swim
  • 10m 6s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 18s / 100 yards
Comments:

Nerves always get me. BUT, since this was my 3rd triathlon and the swim was the shortest, (and ive been swimming my BUTT off!) I went in feeling fully prepared and ready to kill last years time!

My wave starts and i begin swimming. Well kinda. THE WHOLE ENTIRE swim I essentially did not swim. I never got my head down in the water. I felt like my butt & feet were always down. My arms were moving but MAN! I never swam! It sucked! Worst swim EVER. Several times I took in water and had to slow or stop and cough it out and once I actually said outloud.." I just cant beleive this!" because it was terrible the.. entire.. way. Im still not sure why this happened. Toward the end I said to myself to calm down, get the breathing & form down as much as posssible with all these others splish-splashin around me. But it never happened, AND IM STILL SICK ABOUT IT!

OK, that being said I went into this Sprint wanting to beat last years time by 10 minites. Last years swim time was: 14:02..lotsa backstroke, 2 mild panic attacks...and WF 2011 was my first OW swim.. i was a tad overwelmed. So when I was able to stand up from this swim I look at my watch and it said 9:59! WTH!! Im still in shock at this time! Never in a million years would I have guessed i was even near this final time of 10:06!! I seriously thought it was more around 15min.
Transition 1
  • 05m
Comments:

The lady next to me wanted trying to start conversation with me. I just wanted to GO! I wasnt going into t1 at a leisurely pace, at least it certainly didnt feel that way!, but my time says otherwise!!
What would you do differently?:

Move faster!!!
Bike
  • 47m 26s
  • 9.7 miles
  • 12.27 mile/hr
Comments:

MTB was my strongest. I felt great the entire ride. Almost munched it @ bottom of the first loop. That would have been ugly. Id like more dirt.

My tires had too much air in them. I did taht purposly bc I knew that theres a lot more road than dirt on this course. There were some sandy areas that the tires just couldnt grab.
Transition 2
  • 02m 46s
Run
  • 19m 51s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

As soon as I dismounted I felt crampy in the stomach area. I was pissed. The first 1/4 mile i had to hold my stomach. Where did this come from?! I think I walked for several steps a couple of times. The second mile I was beginning to feel better and that final 1/4 mile I ran as hardest.

I think the cramping was due to nutrition. In retrospect I think I consumed too many calories prior to the race.

Post race
Event comments:

Great venue!!!!

Last updated: 2012-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:06 | 440 yards | 02m 18s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:47:26 | 9.7 miles | 12.27 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: some sandy areas.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:51 | 02 miles | 09m 56s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: hilly
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-05-07 5:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Subject: Wildflower Triathlon - Mountain Bike Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wildflower Triathlon - Mountain Bike Course Rss Feed