General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rev3-Cedar Point or Redman OK??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-08 10:41 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Subject: Rev3-Cedar Point or Redman OK???
Anyone have an opinion on which race would have a better experience??

2012-05-08 11:08 AM
in reply to: #4197295

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Rev3-Cedar Point or Redman OK???

Do you have family/kids traveling with you? I've never done Cedar Point but have heard great things about the race itself and the entertainment options for families.

I've done Redman a few times - this year they are hosting the Half-Max Championships and it's a Saturday race, if that matters (with the Oly and Sprint on Sunday). It's a great race with a flat ride, but not sure about entertainment for families.

2012-05-08 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4197377

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
lisac957 - 2012-05-08 11:08 AM

Do you have family/kids traveling with you? I've never done Cedar Point but have heard great things about the race itself and the entertainment options for families.

I've done Redman a few times - this year they are hosting the Half-Max Championships and it's a Saturday race, if that matters (with the Oly and Sprint on Sunday). It's a great race with a flat ride, but not sure about entertainment for families.

Family is most likely coming along.....  Cedar Point is 13 hours away and Redman is a little over 5 hours (probably could drive which is a nice option)  How many people do the Redman Full?  I've only ever done IM NAS races where 2500 people are on the course....I love that, not sure I could stay as motivated without people around me....  I'm a 12 hour IM person, not fast not slow....  

2012-05-08 11:32 AM
in reply to: #4197440

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Selachophobia - 2012-05-08 11:27 AM
lisac957 - 2012-05-08 11:08 AM

Family is most likely coming along.....  Cedar Point is 13 hours away and Redman is a little over 5 hours (probably could drive which is a nice option)  How many people do the Redman Full?  I've only ever done IM NAS races where 2500 people are on the course....I love that, not sure I could stay as motivated without people around me....  I'm a 12 hour IM person, not fast not slow....  

This year is different because of the Half-Max thing, but last year there were 186 Full Distance finishers. Definitely a different vibe with 1/10 of the Full participants as a branded race. 

Web site says: (150 Slots Allocated - Currently Closed - Re-opens 7/1)

Not sure if that means they are capped for the full, will open more slots, or what.

2012-05-08 11:54 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
lisa, when doing Redman did it seem like there were always some people around you?
2012-05-08 12:17 PM
in reply to: #4197513

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Selachophobia - 2012-05-08 11:54 AM lisa, when doing Redman did it seem like there were always some people around you?

I've only done the Half (sorry if I mis-represented). I think the full is pretty sparse on the bike (2 loops), talking to people who have done it, but the run course is 4 loops which I think helps more people be around you.  think any non-IM-brand race is going to be pretty spread out/thin.

Here's a couple of clips of Full finishers, not many people around. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k_YEQBYuVM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU3CG2T33FU 

2012-05-08 5:17 PM

Veteran
I did cedar point and would do it again in a second.  Family was a big worry for me but they stayed at great wolf so he kids had the water park and they would leave a couple times to come out and see me.  The course was great.  Swim was muddy due to the remnants of a hurricane hovering over erie the week before but that made the start more fun.  Flat fast bike and run on good roads.  Lots of people around and even late there were at least 15 people at each aid station  usualy playing lots of music or cheering you on.   I really enjoyed the organizers and the MC really cut through all the nerves in pre race and at start.  It was a great "IM" for me.  I look forward to doing it again.
2012-05-09 2:14 PM
in reply to: #4197574

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
lisac957 - 2012-05-08 12:17 PM

Selachophobia - 2012-05-08 11:54 AM lisa, when doing Redman did it seem like there were always some people around you?

I've only done the Half (sorry if I mis-represented). I think the full is pretty sparse on the bike (2 loops), talking to people who have done it, but the run course is 4 loops which I think helps more people be around you.  think any non-IM-brand race is going to be pretty spread out/thin.

Here's a couple of clips of Full finishers, not many people around. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k_YEQBYuVM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU3CG2T33FU 

Lisa, wow you are such a poser, please don't infiltrate my threads unless you have done the full....  LOL of course I am joking   Wink   I agree 4 loops on the run would be helpful as well, and your probably correct on any non-IM brand race being thin....  I really cannot find one that in non-brand  outside of 150-400 people...  not the end of the world.  Appreciate the feedback.

2012-05-09 4:28 PM

Master
STL

I had the same dilemma last year. I chose Rev3--reasons: timing, more family friendly and the course in OK consists of laps and I don't like 'laps', especially with it being a IM.

I did do Redman (oly) a couple years ago and the venue was fine. I got in late the night before so didn't really visit the venue. That year it was insanely muddy and I still have the red clay on my socks!

I was VERY impressed with the REV3 venue. My husband was as well and my kids were entertained (at least a little) the day before the race.

2012-05-10 5:35 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
I've been toying with the idea of Cedar Point, too. It will be my first tri in a few years. Did the race sell out in the past?
2012-05-10 9:57 AM
in reply to: #4200639

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
goobergirl98 - 2012-05-09 4:28 PM

I had the same dilemma last year. I chose Rev3--reasons: timing, more family friendly and the course in OK consists of laps and I don't like 'laps', especially with it being a IM.

I did do Redman (oly) a couple years ago and the venue was fine. I got in late the night before so didn't really visit the venue. That year it was insanely muddy and I still have the red clay on my socks!

I was VERY impressed with the REV3 venue. My husband was as well and my kids were entertained (at least a little) the day before the race.

Oh yeah, the year it rained and transition flooded before the race started... and the bike course flooded so you had to dis-mount and run your bike around the flood. Weird race day. And messy. Here are some of my pics for your amusement

Sounds like Cedar Point has some definite advantages! It's on my "some day" list now!

2012-05-10 11:12 AM
in reply to: #4202067

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
lisac957 - 2012-05-10 9:57 AM
goobergirl98 - 2012-05-09 4:28 PM

Oh yeah, the year it rained and transition flooded before the race started... and the bike course flooded so you had to dis-mount and run your bike around the flood. Weird race day. And messy. Here are some of my pics for your amusement

Sounds like Cedar Point has some definite advantages! It's on my "some day" list now!

ugh, kudo's to you for sticking it out #876....

2012-05-21 1:15 PM

User image

Master
Denison Texas
Redman closed registration to save spots for the Halfmax Championships-UN used slots will become available on 7/1. The race reports for Redman are generally positive. OKC is 3 hours away for me, when registration re-opens I'm in
2012-05-22 5:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I did the Redman Full Aqua Bike to prep for IMFL in 09 (the same race that was mentioned above with the flooding and rain) and I really liked the course and OKC.  Hubby and I had a great trip. 

I raced the full at Cedar Point in 2010 and for family and organization, hands down, Rev3 is the way to go.  Plus, the bike course was awesome!

I would still race Redman again, but if I was picking between them, I would go Rev3.

Full Disclosure: I am on the Rev3 AG team, but I only post my truthful opinion!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rev3-Cedar Point or Redman OK??? Rss Feed