REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 33m 39s
Overall Rank = 219/332
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 49/68
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:15 AM. Not by choice, but since I was up, I decided to get going. Had breakfast at the Waffle house which was the first place I found. two eggs, toast and a waffle with coffee was all I could eat. Go to the event site early enough to take my time and get set up. I had packed all of the items in a single back pack the night before and separated the smaller items inside plastic bags based on discipline to make sure I did not forget anything.
Event warmup:

Not much of a warm up. mainly walked the long stretch to the swim start and found a place to site and collect my thoughts for the day ahead.
Swim
  • 42m 32s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went as I expected (slow and steady). I had only been to the pool a hand full of times in the last few months so my strategy was to get on a good comfortable pace, rest when I need it to and get out of the water safe and stay away from the faster swimmers. I tried to draft when I could and did that until I would need a break etc.
What would you do differently?:

Not much different on the race, but I just need more training and some coaching in order to improve my technique.
Transition 1
  • 05m 53s
Comments:

When I exited the water, I was a little unbalanced. So I took my time, walked for about half of the transition distance out of peoples way until I felt like I could run the rest of the way. I got to my bike and made sure I had everything I needed. put on sunblock and headed out on the bike.

Not much to do here other that speed up the process, but that is a function of practicing and feeling better off the water
Bike
  • 3h 14m 35s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.27 mile/hr
Comments:

This is my strong discipline and I figured I can make up some time, but at the same time, I planned on being careful with my effort. I wanted to make sure I had some left for the run. Unfortunately, my issues started early on the bike and really lasted through the end of the race. First, my shifting was off. This was strange because I had ridden the bike two miles to transition the day before without problems. I adjusted the gears on the fly and moved on. then, my garmin was not working correctly and I kept trying to reset it and the bento box I bought the day before was rubbing on my leg. To top it off, I got a flat tire about two miles into it.I stopped, to fix my tire and took the bento box and shoved it in the back of my shorts and got on my way. The course was great and the rolling hills were right for me since I train in similar terrain. I passed people on the uphills and kept the pace going comfortable. My goal was to average 18 MPH on the bike and it worked out just right. Toward mile 40, I realized I had not drank enough water. My legs started cramping and I was in panic mode. I started to make up and drink an extra bottle at the last stop but it is hard to make up for lost hydration. Finished the bike feeling fresh cardiovascular and energy, but cramping which I paid for in the run.

Lots of things here. First, I should have set up my bike completely a week before with bento box or any accessories to make sure there are no conflicts. Don't know what happened to the garmin, but I probably would just put it on the bike next time and not try to swim with it.
Transition 2
  • 04m 39s
Comments:

Getting off the bike I was cramping and I knew I was not going to break speed records my overall time so I just took my time, walked to my spot and again made sure I had everything I needed.
Run
  • 2h 26m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

My hope for the run was to average 10 minute miles, not fast, but to just take my time and not be miserable. The heat was definitely a factor and I started the run with cramping problems. About a mile in, I cramped up badly on both legs. It literary stopped my on my tracks. I held to the guard rail on the road and tried to ride it out. Another athlete who rode late on the bike leg with me stopped and gave two salt tablets (awesome gesture and I will be finding him to send him a thank you email). So the first two miles where a struggle for me because of the cramping and all of the water in my stomach was bothering me. I felt like if I could throw up, I would feel better. After the Olympic turn around, my legs began to loosen up and my stomach felt better so at that point I began to follow my original plan which was to run/walk depending on what the terrain was like and that took me all the way to the finish.

Hydrate, Hydrate on the bike to prevent the cramping issues, and of course, more run training. I have only been running the last few months and just don't have the miles under me like I do on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

After crossing the finish line with my wife and kid, I wanted to eat and sit down, I walked around the venue a little and ate.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training time, but my race went pretty close to what I expected on time even with some of the issues.

Event comments:

Great event and can't wait to do it again next year where I know I will be able to do a lot better. My goal will be to cut 30 minutes off my total time.

Last updated: 2012-05-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:32 | 2112 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 52/68
Overall: 249/332
Performance: Average
Suit: Profile design Wahoo
Course: River swim with low current. Visibility was funky because of the way the sun was shining.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:53
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:14:35 | 56 miles | 17.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 46/68
Overall: 181/332
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Hilly and challenging, but not difficult
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 04:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:26:00 | 13.1 miles | 11m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 49/68
Overall: 219/332
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-09 8:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Rev3 Knoxville - Half Rev

2012-05-09 6:23 PM
in reply to: #4199306

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: RE: Rev3 Knoxville - Half Rev
Nice job out there. Way to fight though it and finish! I really wasn't ready for the heat and humidity either.
2012-05-09 9:26 PM
in reply to: #4199306

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
Subject: RE: Rev3 Knoxville - Half Rev
Stinks to flat in a race, but kudos to you for fixing it and pushing through to the finish.  It was a tough course and a hot day, especially for this time of year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Knoxville - Half Rev Rss Feed