Fargo Marathon
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 08m 38s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Sat in traffic then walked really fast to get to the start line. Made it with just enough time to sneak into a toilet then hop the fence as the race started.
Event warmup:

Nothing really, just a really fast walk to the start line from the parking lot, which was actually about a half mile away.
Run
  • 2h 08m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

This was yet another disappointing terrible half marathon for me. I just simply suck at running. I just can't seem to run fast. I see all these people out there who look in way worse shape and body type than me and they're running way fricken faster. I'm tired of having excuses and reasons why I can't break 2:00 in a half. This time I was sick again for the 4 days prior to the race, and on race day. Traffic made it so I didn't get there early enough. Three days ago I ran over my big toe with a damn shopping cart and split what was left of that nail right in half and I had some really bad left knee pain that forced me to stop running after mile 9. I could run a bit, at probably a 9:30ish pace, then would have to stop for fear of doing something really bad to it. Excuses are BS, I'm tired of having them and I'm really frustrated by this race. The only good thing that may come out of it is that maybe this is the last straw? I'll train harder, run more and stop sucking? Hopefully this knee pain isn't anything too bad.
What would you do differently?:

Don't get me started here...
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and felt sorry for myself. Went and took a shower at the hotel then came back to watch my wife finish the full in 3:36! BQ for her!

Event comments:

This is a good race, I just didn't run well. Not the race's fault, it's a great race and I highly recommend it. We didn't stick around for post-race activities but I hear the concert and all that is very good.

Last updated: 2012-02-14 12:00 AM
Running
02:08:38 | 13.1 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
10k @ 56:14, 9:03 pace
Course: Big loop around Fargo, lots of turns, running on residential streets entire time.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-19 4:47 PM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Subject: Fargo Half Marathon

2012-05-19 5:04 PM
in reply to: #4218350

User image

Subject: RE: Fargo Half Marathon
Congratulations on your race finish. Even though you feel that you're slow, you are much faster than a lot of people...including me! I LOVE the Fargo race and maintain that if I could only pick 1 race a year, it would be a Fargo event. Everything about the Fargo run is first class! Congratulations to your wife - what an awesome accomplishment!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fargo Half Marathon Rss Feed