5150 Triathlon Series
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 30m 23s
Overall Rank = 146/
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 16/51
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 4:30 bagel with peanut butter. Left motel at 5:40 arrived at transition with bike at 6:00. Transition set up without difficulty, walked around race site with my wife. Light stretching. Drank a bottle of Generation UCAN about 45 minutes prior to race start. THIS STUFF IS AWESOME. It's the only nutrition I had for the entire race, no GI distress, constant energy for the duration. Only used water to hydrate.
Event warmup:

Virtually none. Light stretching. I guess you could count the short run from the porta potties to my wave start which I barely made in time.
Swim
  • 26m 29s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had a good swim. As mentioned above, I barely made my wave start as I had to use the porta potties just before hand. Lined up about 2nd row to the far right hand side. Stayed purposely to the far right away from the bulk of the other athletes. Very little contact with other swimmers. Was kind of hard sighting the buoys from the outside of the pack, but was able to take a good angle into all of the turns without any problem.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

Felt like my T1 time was slow. I don't know why. I know I spent a few seconds just standing there looking at my stuff thinking I was forgetting something. Putting on socks took some time also, wish I had tri specific shoes so I could go sockless.

Be more confident that I wasn't forgetting anything, and just go. Need to speed this part up.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 50s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.47 mile/hr
Comments:

Almost crashed coming down the long hill. Was doing about 35 mph on my aero bars and came up on two riders who were taking up most of the road. I decided to split them as trying to pass far left would have been next to impossible. Just as I was coming up to them, they decided to close the gap between them leaving just enough room for me to pass through. Thought I was going to clip one of them. I tried to warn them verbally before hand, but it was too late. I'm sure they had some choice words for me.

Nothing, good ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Not a bad T2, but not spectacular either. Again took a few seconds to make sure I wasn't forgetting something.

Light a fire under my ass. GET MOVING!
Run
  • 46m 49s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt a little rough at first, but worked out the kinks during the first 5K and started to relax and work on efficiency and cadence. Felt like I was going slower than what my time actually was.

Add a couple of more brick workouts to my training plan.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the venue for a bit and drank a bottle of water. Grabbed a beer and walked out onto the run course to cheer my wife on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I would guess my VO2max.

Event comments:

I was a little discouraged checking in on Saturday. Looked to be a boring venue with very little "Expo" type feel. Not much going on. You could leave your bike in transition the night before, but many people were walking in and out of transition with bikes and weren't even checked. Hopefully everybody was honest and didn't "upgrade" their ride. Race day itself though was pretty good. Good atmosphere and post race refreshments. I would do this race again.

Last updated: 2012-01-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:29 | 1640 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/51
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Xterra Vortex
Course: Rectangular counter clockwise swim. No sun issues as it was overcast for most of it.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:54
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:12:50 | 24.85 miles | 20.47 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Not a bad course, 2 loops, one long gradual climb(twice), but not too bad. Stayed in the saddle and watched many people mashing the pedals going up. Kept my cadence high throughout, probably mid to high 90's. One water bottle only on bike.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 97
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:46:49 | 06.21 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Course: Nice route with combination asphalt road and crushed gravel path. Again, 2 loops with a small hill on mile 1 and 4, but otherwise fairly flat. Took a small bottle of water with me so I could bypass the aid stations. I did use some of their water to dump over my head to cool off.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-05-20 8:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson
Subject: 5150 Kansas City Triathlon

2012-05-21 9:15 PM
in reply to: #4219593

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Subject: RE: 5150 Kansas City Triathlon
Nice race Roger.  Yeah, I thought the "expo" was a bit lacking... And luckily because of the wind, not too many people were checking bikes on Saturday. Seemed a bit unorganized... See you in Lawrence!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 5150 Kansas City Triathlon Rss Feed