Ate a clif bar and drank some water.
Event warmup:

None
Bike
  • 7h 12m 40s
  • 100 miles
  • 13.87 mile/hr
Comments:

Ouch! This ride hurt me a lot. I didn't stay well hydrated the two days before the ride and I think that this hurt me during the ride. The ride was quite nice but definitely had its fair share of surprises.

First off, it was 40 degrees at the start! While I have the gear to be comfortable in 40 degree weather I did not bring said gear with me. I think it took 60 miles till I managed to feel my feet and at least 25 until my fingers stopped burning. I ended up starting with my bib shorts, knee warmers, long sleeve jersey, rain jacket and my long finger gloves (thankfully I grabbed the jacket and long finger gloves at the last minute). I would have been so much more comfortable if I had brought my thicker long sleeve jersey and my undershirt. Live and learn.

From the start you immediately begin climbing which was a little bit of a shock to the system. The road was nice with relativly little car traffic and a smooth shoulder. The first climb to Apache Saddle went reasonably well (all things considered) but it was immediately apparent that both Mike and Steve were feeling much stronger than I was. Thankfully they agreed to head off on their own and not wait for me. I just didn't want the pressure associated with feeling like (and knowing) that I was holding them up. The route eading up to the first rest stop went through Los Padres National Forest and was primarily wooded with assorted campgrounds spurring off the road as you went. Very pretty. Reached the rest stop at Apache Saddle, 21 miles into the ride, in about 2 hours. Quick stop for water and a bathroom break and I was off on the rollers that would eventually lead into the valley.

After Apache Saddle the road slogging uphill turned into a fun and fast set of rollers and then turned into an amazing descent into the valley. The first couple miles were net uphill rollers which hurt, but the scenery was absolutely amazing. I wasn't expecting much from this ride but the scenery really was quite nice. After the rollers there is a nice sustained downhill into farmland. It was on this downhill that my hamstring first started really complaining and it would continue complaining for the rest of the day. Next rest stop was at mile 54. Another quick pit stop for water and a bathroom.

Left the stop and headed up the road and encounterd the only really terrible pavement during the ride. There was a section of road that was completely torn up since they were preparing to repave it, probably about 8 miles worth of uphill or so. Pretty rough on the body but I have seen worse. Thankfully just after the horrible pavement we were treated to freshly paved road. That was the best pavement I have ever experienced given the pavement just before it. Headed up to the last major climb of the day, Heartbreak. Before getting to the climb, I had to cross several streams that were flooding the roadway. I would later learn that Mike took a spill on one of these streams. He is alright, a little bruised but alright. After the streams but still on the lead up to Heartbreak I fell in with a couple of cyclists who would prove immensely helpful. One Mike, new the route and gladly chatted with me the entire climb up Heartbreak. The other, George, accompanied me on the lead up to Heartbreak. Made it to the stop after Heartbreak and was informed that we had 15 more mile of rollers plus nasty winds.

Took off from the Heartbreak stop after filling up my water bottle. I generally struggled for the 15 miles until the downhill to the finish. The wind was really blowing which never is a good sign for me and my hamstring was complaining like nothing else. Hunkered down and made it through this section but not without a lot of cursing and swearing. Hit the downhill section and sped to the finish line. Not to be forgotten, the wind decided to give me one last gust to remind me who was boss and almost blew my helmet off of my head. I guess I need to tighten up my chin strap.

Total distance 100.1 miles with 8700 ft. of climbing (accoring to the Polar).

Headed inside to check-in. Was given my "King of the Mountains" socks for completed the three King of the Mountains rides and inhaled a subway sandwich.

Nutrition: 12 scoops of Perpeteum, 6 scoops of endurolyte powder, 8 endurolytes and 6 bottles of water.

Total Time: 7:31
Rolling Time: 7:13
What would you do differently?:

Next time I would bring all of my gear so that I can decide what to wear when I have full information. There was no excuse for leaving my stuff behind. Stay better hydrated the days leading up to the race. I think if I had fixed those two things my day would have been just that much better. I think the hamstring discomfort was due to a lack of proper hydration pre-race.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate the above mentioned subway sandwich and drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of proper hydration leading up to the race and the usual lack of fast paced training.

Event comments:

Another great ride put on by Planet Ultra. A solid course with great on-course support. I really enjoy their rides and the riders that ride them. Nice group.

Last updated: 2006-04-04 12:00 AM
Biking
07:12:40 | 100 miles | 13.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 140/247
Performance:
Wind: with gusts
Course: Leaving the start line, a short quick climb to Tejon Pass gives way to a short descent into Frazier Park. Relish that warm up, for now the climbing begins in earnest. The next 30 miles are mostly uphill, though there are a few nice descents along the way. As you climb toward the summit of Mt. Pinos, take time to look around; the scenery here is truly beautiful, as the high desert gives way to alpine forests and gently sloping mountain meadows. Look to your left at Lake of the Woods and see the road you will be descending later in the afternoon, then look ahead at the road that will take you higher into the mountains. Deep in the mountains you will reach the private community of Pine Mountain Club. For the residents it's home, but for you it's a flat spot in the road before the climbs to the checkpoint at Apache Saddle at mile 20. After reaching Apache Saddle, prepare yourself for one of the most rewarding descents in all of Southern California. You will roll and then descend for 20 miles along the ridge line that divides the Lockwood Valley on your left from the huge Central Valley on your right. Look around for wildlife as you ride through the Los Padres National Forest and the Bitter Creek National Wildlife Refuge. The downhill continues at Highway 166. A left here and another onto Highway 33, and then you will be a few miles from our second checkpoint at "The Place" at mile 54 in downtown Ventucopa. Leaving "The Place" in Ventucopa you will follow the beautiful Cuyama Valley and Cuyama River to a left turn at Lockwood Valley Road. As you enter Lockwood Valley you will encounter a gradual climb that just keeps getting steeper. As you reach the infamous Heartbreak Hill in the afternoon sun you will learn whey "Heartbreak Hill" got that name. Leaving Heartbreak Hill, you will descend and climb your way to Frazier Park and eventually return to the start/finish at the Best Rest Inn in Lebec. This 100 mile event has just shy of 8,500' of total elevation gain, which is a lot!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right