United States
5150 Triathlon Series
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 01m 4s
Overall Rank = 466/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 73/90
Pre-race routine:

Normal. Woke up about 4. Had most of a bagle and peanut butter, made some coffee, double checked my bag and got in the car.
Event warmup:

Nothing really, got in the water for a bit and swam. I realized pretty quick at this point I was in for a long swim.
Swim
  • 34m 30s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 18s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was actually pretty happy with the swim time. I wsan't happy with the swim itself though. I REALLY need more OWS training. I ended up breathing every two strokes most of the time where I am usually on four in the pool. It took until the last leg to finally get into a groove and feel like I was swimming halfway normal again. On the positive side, the last time I did this distance last summer I was 11 minutes slower. My wife gave me my swim time when I was in T1, and I really thought she had it messed up. I think with some more time in the lake, I could bring it down to around a 28 minute split.
What would you do differently?:

Training.......repeat- training.
Transition 1
  • 04m 13s
Comments:

I really shouldn't use this time to BS with my SO and buddy and maybe focus on getting on the bike and getting moving.

Hurry along a little bit.
Bike
  • 1h 23m 8s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.94 mile/hr
Comments:

I have got to find some speed on the bike. I felt like I was really pushing and I was still under 18 mph. I will rectify this. I also think maybe I have my position kind of screwed up as I got really sore before the end of this ride. My conditioning felt fine (engine) but the drivetrain wasn't cooperating. My legs just felt kind of weak and I was feeling the little pre cramp twinges the last 3 miles or so.

Speedwork. I need to ride faster I guess. Something isn't right with what I'm doing in training.
Transition 2
  • 01m 58s
Run
  • 57m 17s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm a little disappointed in the run. My secret goal in my head was to run around 50 minutes. That didn't happen. First mile split was 8:30ish and felt really good. Then I started feeling cramps coming on so I really had to back off. Way off. I'm still researching whats going on here. I sweat pure salt apparently so I think that's some of it. I didn't really feel like I outran my conditioning, but it's possible.

Not sure yet.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Speedwork would be a benefit. The distance isn't as challenging as it was a year ago. Time to try and go faster. 73/90 is unacceptable to me. lol

Event comments:

I don't get into the post race stuff much so that's not a big deal. Nice medals, standard shirt, but no beer glass this year? great race, really fun course, Ironband was pretty bad a$$ to have on course, lots of people and volunteers were great. I'll se signed up again when it opens.

Last updated: 2012-04-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:30 | 1500 meters | 02m 18s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/90
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Volt full
Course: Counter clockwise rectangle thingy. Kind of a dynamic course with shifting buoys I hear.
Start type: Dive Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:13
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:23:08 | 24.85 miles | 17.94 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Nice course, a couple of decent hills, nice flats to break it up. I know people were worried about crowding, but I never really thought it was bad. Of course, I'm pretty frigging slow so that may be why there weren't a lot of people around. I did notice a lot of people flying up to the turns and grabbing a lot of brake, that stacked it up a little bit a couple of times.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:58
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:57:17 | 06.21 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Course: Flat gravel trail and road.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-21 7:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas City
Subject: 5150 Kansas City Triathlon

2012-05-21 8:59 PM
in reply to: #4221717

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Subject: RE: 5150 Kansas City Triathlon
Nice race, and 11 min improvement on the swim?! That's crazy!
2012-05-21 9:11 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Way to crush that PR Corey!

2012-05-21 9:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas City
Thank you guys. Its an 8 minute improvement on the swim. I had to look up Midwest mayhem from last year. My mistake, but I'll still take it. lol. I think I saw you're KU kit down on the beach, but I didn't put 2 & 2 together. I did get to meet Reece and see the battle damage though! See you guys at Lawrence when I get back from North Dakota. Looks like my long ride will be to the Canadian border through the Turtle Mountain Chippewa reservation. Good wind practice I guess.
2012-05-24 8:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overland Park, Kansas
Nice work Corey! Give it time, it is always work in progress with ups and downs along the way.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 5150 Kansas City Triathlon Rss Feed