BBSC Endurance Sports
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 21m 11s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We arrived in caravan of 3 camper trailers on Fri afternoon. We got the trailers set up and then headed in to town for packet pick-up. At packet pick-up I weighed in and realized that I qualified for Athena, so I asked to move. After packet pick-up we headed over to the reservoir. The wind was blowing pretty hard and creating some short white caps and waves of about 1.5 to 2 ft. While I knew that it would not be this rough in the am, I still got in to help relieve anxiety for any chop at Boise if anything.
I couldn't help but wake-up early w/ the lights from transition shining right into the window by where I was sleeping. Got up, got dressed, gathered my gear and got prime spot in transition. THEN I headed back to the trailer to put in my contacts, eat, etc. Ate a bagel, banana, yogurt, apple juice, and a red bull. I grabbed a gatorade, but didn't drink all of it.
Event warmup:

I got in at the ramp and swam a little to get some water in my suit. Didn't really do a whole lot to warm up. Hung out w/ the others while waiting. :) Prepped my watch and was ready to start.
Swim
  • 43m
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

I took a MINUTE off of last year's time :) Good thing I have a memory for numbers, b/c they didn't get my swim time :(
What would you do differently?:

Keep going and pause less. ;)
Transition 1
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

Got to practice getting OUT of wetsuit (at least over the ankles/heels).

1:44 better than last year :)
Bike
  • 1h 17m 50s
  • 20.5 miles
  • 15.80 mile/hr
Comments:

7 minutes off of last year's time. I knew it was a warm day and I managed to drink almost all of my 16 oz gatorade on the course.

45 sec better than last year ;)

Replace 11-23 cassette :/ In big debate over this right now...

Get out of shoes EARLY! I waited too long, got sidetracked thinking about T2. :(
Transition 2
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

I wasted time doing things that either should have happened on the bike or on the run. (on the bike, shoes off and inhaler; on the run, race belt/number and visor)
Run
  • 1h 15m 24s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I took FOUR MINUTES off of last year's time :)
I was very good about keeping a steady pace (slow as it was)
I also made it a point to take in a gatorade, pour a water, take in a little water to wash down gatorade, and pour the rest of that cup.
The run got REALLY hot!!!

Eat more solid. While I survived w/out much stomach issue, I know had this been twice the distance in a half, I would've had the same problems I had at Vineman w/ the sloushy stomach :/
Post race
Warm down:

Forgot to stop my watch when I crossed... I'm guessing it was as much as a 2 min lapse. The gals at the finish line were completely side tracked, I had to ask for my bottle of water and take the wet towel right out of her hand (b/c she was so clueless) Not sure what was initially at the finish line but it was picked over by the time I got there :( I grabbed an orange slic or two and went to find friends.

Event comments:

Oh boy... so many high's and so many low's :(

Timing is WAY screwed up and two days later they still don't have it figured out. Remember when I said I moved to Athena... well, they moved me to Athena SPRINT! :( I should be 3rd in Athena Olympic. Of course even the splits they have posted for me don't add up to the total time they have posted. Never-the-less, I feel confident that my total time is relatively correct which means I took FOURTEEN minutes off of my time from last year. While some of that is due to thinking I had a flat tire last year, most of that is due to better race execution. I hydrated perfectly to not drainout and not need to pee ;)

I hope they DO get the timing correct. As that one lady I know SHOULD be second overall, but due to the screw ups it keeps leaving her in third :(

Hoping that the timing gets better, I will be back next year (unless my friends convince me to do St George 70.3 ;) )

Last updated: 2012-05-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:00 | 1640 yards | 02m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Zoot
Course: One big rectangle. Bouys weren't spaced well and made it difficult to track the course at times.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:52
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:17:50 | 20.5 miles | 15.80 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:05
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:15:24 | 06.21 miles | 12m 08s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-05-21 10:39 PM

User image

Elite
Utah
Subject: SGTri - Olympic Course

2012-05-22 9:39 AM
in reply to: #4221995

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Subject: RE: SGTri - Olympic Course

Congrats on knocking so much time off last year!  I'm bummed about the timing being messed up, and I was nowhere near the podium for my AG, I can only imagine how you feel.

Oh well, its all about the experience, right? 

2012-05-22 11:13 AM
in reply to: #4222520

User image

Elite
Utah
JZig - 2012-05-22 8:39 AM

Congrats on knocking so much time off last year!  I'm bummed about the timing being messed up, and I was nowhere near the podium for my AG, I can only imagine how you feel.

Oh well, its all about the experience, right? 

THANKS!!! 

You are right it IS all about the experience.

1) It has totally built my confidence for Boise next month (of which I was really struggling w/ training this spring and in huge debate over it)
2) I LOVE the venue, our kids had a great time playing on the little islands most all day (and it was a great place to cool off in the afternoon).

2012-05-22 7:48 PM
in reply to: #4221995

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Awesome improvements over last year.  14 minutes is HUGE for an oly!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SGTri - Olympic Course Rss Feed