Cellcom Green Bay Marathon
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 53m 20s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Well, first of all - I was fortunate to be one of the people who got to finish the race so take this pre-semi-whining and set-up with a grain of salt.

I started training for this race 4 months ago with the intent to run at least a hair faster than my PR of 1:50 - really felt like I was capable of pulling off a 1:48 or 1:49. Started following the 'Run Less, Run Faster' plan - which sounds completely gimmicky until you get about 4 weeks into the plan and realize those workouts are no joke! I was able to keep up with the plan pretty well - and it paid off for the most part early on. It helped me to a 5k PR and I really enjoyed the hard running.

But about a month ago, I started falling off the plan due to a number of factors, the main one being that I've got a funky thing going on just above my ankle but really - the workouts just started to feel daunting. I was still nailing the track workouts but I started to struggle to keep pace during the long runs and the tempo run? Oh, forget it. I just threw in the towel on that one.

So I wasn't quite sure where I'd be at when I started the GB half - I felt strong but I also knew I'd slacked in the past month - according to the plan anyway. Realistically, I was still doing some good workouts - and I'd added in a boatload of hard, intense interval strength training so I felt like that would pay off as well. Wasn't sure how the ankle would hold up but figured adrenaline would get me through the day.

So basically - a whole bunch of questions.
Event warmup:

Warm-up? Nope.... just shook my legs out and braided someone's hair. It was my good karma offering for the day. This girl was standing there with this older guy fumbling around trying to braid her hair and I heard him say something like, "I'm not used to braiding REAL hair", which, of course, immediately piqued my interest - REAL hair? As opposed to chemically engineered hair? As opposed to horse hair? As opposed to dolphin hair? As opposed to hair of the dog? Anyway - this guy was doing a real crap job so I went over and pretty much shoved him down to the ground and said, "here, let a GIRL do it." (and I did an amazing job, btw - she seriously had the best hair ever) I bet she won the race thanks to me.
Run
  • 1h 53m 20s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I was staying with freezerpop and deb and sue were across the hall so the 4 of us walked over together (actually, we managed to catch the shuttle bus so by "walked" I mean, about 10 steps). Freeze and Sue were doing the full, deb and I were halfsies.

It was about 70 degrees in the morning but we knew that wouldn't last too long. Weather predictions had it in the high 80s and the race had sent out emails saying there would be extra water and ice along the course so BE SMART. Not one of my strengths but I was planning on trying. I was more worried about the full folks - it was going to be brutal for them.

Hugs, hugs, pictures, hugs and we were off. I figured I would take that BE SMART theme and apply it to my whole day so the first smart thing I did was find the 1:50 pacer. Jumped in right behind him and tried to turn off my brain (another smart thing to do if you've ever heard me when my mouth is brain dumping). First mile was a bit slow just trying to get around folks but then we seemed to settle in. Until - D'OH! why is the 2 hour pace group running right alongside the 1:50 pace group? I could tell our pacer was shocked and you could almost see him wind up to let it fly. He immediately started dropping the pace and we were flying along. I don't know if it was because I wasn't right on his shoulder but the pacing felt really erratic after that - I would settle in and then all of a sudden he'd be way ahead of me and I'd sprint to catch up, settle in, rinse repeat. He walked all the water stops but those stops got briefer and briefer (or at least, seemed to).

Finally, around mile 6, I just let them go, I was taking longer and longer at each water stop and he was getting further and further away. Man - that is demoralizing to watch your goal literally run away from you. But I knew I had to ... say it with me kids.... BE SMART. And smart for me was walking every single water station, making sure I was drinking and dumping water on my head to stay cool. I was running the pace I wanted to be running but my water stops got longer and longer throughout the race, definitely slowing me down (perfectly reflected in my splits!)

8:57, 8:40, 8:03, 8:24, 8:22, 8:32, 8:34, 8:46, 8:41, 9:04, 8:57, 8:33, 8:37, 7:26 (last .2)

Mile 7 was really hard for me - it includes a long hill, a GU stop and a water stop so I found a bunch of excuses to stop and take breaks. It was a real mental challenge to force myself to keep going at this point. It was hot, I was hurting (already!!) and I felt like I still had way too far to go. I just wanted it to be done. I trudged through, just kept pushing and thinking about this .gif I saw on tumblr that morning that kept flashing the words, "yes, I can" - thought of that and just kept going.

A ton of people had sprinklers out (THANK YOU PEOPLE OF GB!) and I was running through as many as I could. There was this guy running right behind me and he kept chanting to the crowd to get them to cheer louder - at first it was annoying and then it was hilarious. He would yell out stuff like, "Let's go watchers! ::clap clap clapclapclap::" and let's go sprinklers! let's go walkers! let's go sitters! I don't know how in the world this guy had the lung power to yell like that - I could barely breath and here he was screaming like a cheerleader at the state championship. He kind of got me out of my funk and on the next sprinkler, I threw my hands in the air and went through as a Woo girl - you know, the girls who always yell, "WOOOOOO!!!" Yep - that was me. A sweaty, clompy woo girl.

So made it through the slump and settled in again, still running my pace but taking longer and longer at each water station - at this point in the race (mile 8-11), people were still doing fine around me. Most people I saw were stopping at the water stations, keeping cool, taking it easy - heard a lot of people talking about not hitting their goal or being slow, etc.

The volunteer support was incredible - SO many people at the water stations with tons of water, gatorade and apparently ice, although I never saw it. Great crowd support too. Tons of people out there cheering.

My plan was to try and kick it in with everything I had after mile 11 but my "everything" turned out to be not a whole lot left. And then mile 12 was when things started to get ugly - not for me but for other racers. Saw 2 people passed out on the ground, surrounded by medics slapping their faces, "wake up! wake up!" Saw a couple of people wavering really bad on the side of the street with medics walking with them. I was about a half mile away and wanted to hammer home but my hammer turned out to be more of a blunt knife - I was definitely influenced by what I was seeing on the road.

Finished and felt pretty awful but mostly really happy to be done.
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered around a bit, waiting for my friends to start coming in. I headed over to the end of the parking lot where racers made the turn into the long finishing chute. That was when the carnage of the day started to unfold. There were people going down left and right, you saw and heard ambulances and medics scrambling around. The band had to stop down at least twice to call for a medic because people were passing out in front of the stage.

Saw the top marathoners come in but then it got kind of quiet as far as racers coming in. I was still waiting for deb to come in for the half and waiting... waiting... waiting... I finally see her and she's walking. At first I was all nice and hey!! And then I thought, wait - RUN!! It's the finish!! But before I could say a word, she threw her hands in the air, exasperated and said, "they called it!" I had no idea what she was talking about and still wanted to jump the fence and push her towards the finish line. Then I realized she meant they cancelled the race. I was stunned. And my first thought was freeze and sue.

Deb found me and she had freeze and Sue with her - they'd found each other at the finish. I got tears in my eyes as I saw the two of them walking towards me - all that training and you only get to run half the race. I was devastated for them. As the day unfolded, we were just all bummed about the race but then as the next day came, I started to just get mad.

The runners who ignored their bodies, ignored the weather, ignored the conditions and just bullied their way towards their goal, they ruined it for the everyone else. They didn't take in fluids, they didn't stay cool, I would guess many of them weren't trained properly - that's not to say they weren't fit because everyone I saw go down was very fit but being fit and being race ready are two very different things. Letting your ego get in the way of your health is just ridiculous. I had big goals for the day but I was trained and I was smart - and I let my goals go when I knew that it wouldn't be smart or safe to go gang busters after it. I'm not kenyan, I'm not a professional runner, I train in my spare time and I get in what I can - so I played it smart.

I gave the day everything I had but I also respected the race and respected my body. The folks who didn't respect the race ruined months and months of preparation for those who did.

I'm sure the race director will get quite a bit of backlash but I hope people realize he did what he had to do. The county was out of support. Green Bay is a small town - they only have so many ambulances, they only have so many hospitals. Once they're out, they're out. Even if only 1 more person went down, that would have been 1 person with zero help. And since people were crashing an hour 40 into the race - it would have been a heck of a lot more than 1 person.

One cool thing was that once they shut down the race, the race officials closed the finishing chute. The marathoners who decided to finish despite the race being called were greeted by a b!tchy race offical in a blue shirt and jean skirt growling at them to stop. Well, some runners said, F that! And ran right past, jumping the fence and finishing anyway (ok, but seriously - how do you jump a fence at the end of a marathon?!?! Amazeballs) The crowd around the finish area was getting so angry at this woman that we all started hollering at her and the volunteers to open the gate and let them in. She kept closing it after racers would open it and we would all yell at her. These two 13 year old boys were the volunteers stationed there and they had NO idea what to do. They didn't want to close the gate but this angry woman kept yelling at them to close it so mostly they just stood there and played dumb. Kind of awesome. Eventually another race official came over and kind of defiantly opened the gate. The lady disappeared and the crowd cheered.

Event comments:

(you know, I usually try and keep race reports light and fun but this one just didn't feel light or fun - it was incredibly disappointing for the full marathoners and halfsies that didn't get to finish. While I was proud of my performance, I was bummed that I didn't get to chase a time goal that I'd had in my head for months... overall, kind of an intense experience. Overall great but yea... intense)

Last updated: 2012-02-06 12:00 AM
Running
01:53:20 | 13.2 miles | 08m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: mostly flat except for that one devilish hill at mile 7
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-05-22 6:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Cellcom Green Bay Half Marathon

2012-05-22 8:15 AM
in reply to: #4222144

User image

Veteran
Germantown, 'Sconsin
Subject: RE: Cellcom Green Bay Half Marathon

SN - Nice work, and great report!  I 100% agree with your ending.  BE SMART was the motto for the day.  I witnessed first hand what was occurring, with a relatively experienced runner, and ended up helping her out.  Very odd day though.  I did see Freezer at the finish line, exit area....totally bummed for her and the rest of the marathoners that got bumped during this scenario.

2012-05-22 8:38 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

1:53 in conditions like that, with the "breaks" you took?  you are seriously ready for a PR at that distance!!!  not to far off right now!  AWESOME job being smart and listening to your body, more people should have done that.  Agree that the RD did the right thing, agree that he will probably take some heat about it, and also agree about the people not being smart ruining it for others.

GREAT JOB NASHERS!!! very very proud of you!

2012-05-22 2:00 PM

User image

New user

Sioux Falls, SD

Congratulations on finishing!

I was in town on a mini-vaca and ran the 5K on Saturday, the weather was brutal, and the mass start, where no one was lined up by estimated times (like every other race I've done, except 1) meant my first mile was spent weaving around all of the kids, strollers, and slower runners easily added to my time, suppose I'd better work on that. 

Anyway, too bad about the race, I feel bad for the full marathoners (only 10 finished the race)

2012-05-22 2:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Germantown, 'Sconsin

Bouncer -

Rest assured more than 10 finished the full.  I could not tell you specific number, but after we finished the 1/2, had a brat and beer and walked back to the hotel on the corner by Stadium View, made a rehydrating cocktail of gatorade and rum, we then cheered on folks for a good hour. 

They did not receive an official time, but I have heard that if they scan the barcode on the bib, it will pull up their times. 

Just sayin'

2012-05-22 2:38 PM
in reply to: #4223299

User image

New user

Sioux Falls, SD
Ah, I was going off of the results from the website, where yesterday the "top 30" had only ten names in the list, my apologies...

2012-05-22 2:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Germantown, 'Sconsin
Oh gosh, no worries.....
2012-05-22 5:00 PM

User image

Marshfield Wi

Great job out there, it was brutal.

Any other day and you would have set a pr no doubt about it! I came in 12 minutes over last years time and am not in that bad of shape Undecided. That heat just builds up and saps your energy.

Sorry about your friends that were doing the full.

2012-05-23 8:09 AM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

Wow...quite the experience indeed.  I really feel bad for Amy & all others who spent the long hours training without being able to taste the satisfaction of crossing the finish line.  But from the perspective of the city & the race organizer, it seemed like the humane/smart thing to do. 

As far as your race - impressive!  Not sure how you could keep it together and only miss a PR by a couple minutes at that distance and in those conditions.  You surely would have blown away your record in "normal" May conditions.

Great job out there Stacey and keep up all the good work!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cellcom Green Bay Half Marathon Rss Feed