United States
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 15m 32s
Overall Rank = 16/196
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/22
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early Sunday morning and assessed the sore throat situation. I had felt one coming on the day before but it really didn't feel any worse so I figured I was good to go. I had some breakfast and then got on my way to Ogden. Transition setup was easy peasy and soon enough I was shuttled over to the swim start. The beach was freezing. The wind had picked up quite a bit and it was blowing right at us. The water temp was actually warmer than the air temp so getting in the water seemed like a good idea to stay warm
Event warmup:

Figured since I have only swam a whopping two times all year I might as swim a few yards to make sure I remembered how. It didn't take too long to feel a little fatigued. Okay, Mr. Twoswims lets call that good and save it for the race.
Swim
  • 11m 20s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a good old fashioned swim start. Ran in, got kicked and punched around a bit and then eventually got into a bit of a groove. It didn't take too long for me to start wishing the swim was over. Fatigue set in pretty quickly and I couldn't keep up any sort of speed. Luckily it was a short swim and it really didn't take that long to get out of the water. After that I just had to contend with the super long run to the transition area
What would you do differently?:

Swim more than 2000 yards on the entire year
Transition 1
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

No problems here. Quick and easy

Nada
Bike
  • 41m 57s
  • 15 miles
  • 21.45 mile/hr
Comments:

Alright, bike time! Like the swim I had been neglecting my bike training as well. In fact, I had just gotten around to taking my bike off the trainer the weekend before. The couple of rides I had gone on felt good so I wasn't overly concerned with getting through it. I was more worried about how my legs would respond after a hard ride.

Made it out of the park and headed north. Passed a few people right and got passed once or twice. The wind was out of the NW and blowing pretty good. Not nearly as bad as two years ago, but still enough to make a guy feel slow. I at least didn't have to leave the big ring and was able to keep things moving forward. As I neared the turn around I started counting racers coming back to see if I was having a good day or not. I lost track around ten when I saw some guy wipe out up ahead of me when one of his tires slid off the road and onto the gravel shoulder. It looked painful, but he hopped right up and was getting back on as I passed. I asked if he was okay and got a grunt that resembled a "yes" so I kept moving.

Soon I hit the 180 turnaround and started the way back. The semi-tail wind was glorious and I was able to crank a big gear all the way. I think I only passed one more person on the way but still made great time. Got slowed up a bit by a car at the entrance to the park. He was being held up my the cop, but there were Oly racers coming out of the park and I didn't want to encroach on their lane too much. I eventually squeezed by then popped my feet out of my shoes before getting slowed down a bit by and ambulance navigating its way out. It's never good to see an ambulance in use on race day. I jumped off my bike and ran it in.

Again, train more
Transition 2
  • 00m 28s
Comments:

Nice and quick, just the way I like it. They did add in a little switchback on the way to the exit which surprised me, because it didn't seem like it served any real purpose. "This is new," I told the volunteers. "We like to keep you on your toes," one guy replied. Thanks dude.

Nothing
Run
  • 20m 51s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

I was looking forward to the run because that was essentially the only discipline that I have been training for. Granted I wasn't training for 5k speed, but knocking out 50 mile weeks can't hurt either. Now I knew a hard ride could potentially render all that training useless so I was hoping my legs would respond favorable.

They were pretty sluggish to start, especially navigating through the grassy and dirt parts before finally hitting the pavement. Once I got out there I could see a couple of guys a few hundred yards ahead. Might as well see if I can catch them. My legs were starting to feel better with each stride and I closed a bit of that gap on the way to the turnaround.

Once I hit the halfway mark and was on the way back I picked it up another notch, figuring it was only 10 minutes of pain. I caught one of my rabbits just before the big hill with about a mile to go, but the other one was staying just out of reach. I was closing the gap, but not quick enough. He kept glancing over his shoulder to see where I was at and running harder. By the time we reached the final turn I knew I wasn't going to catch him and finished just a few seconds back. It was okay though, the chase probably made me run a bit harder

Not much
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit and talked to my parents for awhile. The legs actually felt pretty darn good

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of swim and bike training

Event comments:

This race is always a nice season opener for the tri season. I like the RDs and they do a good job putting this on. They really need to think about kicking everyone out of transition 10 minutes earlier to get everyone to the swim start on time. This has never started on time in the four years I've run it. As far as my performance goes I was extremely pleased. I did fairly well on minimal training. A few minutes off my personal best here, but I crushed my horrendous time from last year's race by 8 minutes so that felt good to make up for that mess. I also had my best 5k split in a sprint by a few seconds so that was another good take away.

Last updated: 2012-02-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:20 | 547 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/22
Overall: 54/196
Performance: Below average
Suit: Neosport
Course: L shaped point to point
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:55
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:57 | 15 miles | 21.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/22
Overall: 16/196
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Simple out and back
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:51 | 03.11 miles | 06m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/22
Overall: 14/196
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-22 9:27 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: Bluff Creek Triathlon - Sprint

2012-05-22 11:08 PM
in reply to: #4224138

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Bluff Creek Triathlon - Sprint
Nice opener Neal.  great placing even though you had little training.  Nice report.
2012-05-23 2:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice job!
2012-05-23 4:15 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Sweet placing for such littl work in the pool and on the bike!!

I want to know when I will swim that fast on 2000 yards in the year to date? Tongue out
2012-05-23 9:12 PM

User image

Expert
Nice work!  Pretty good showing despite being undertrained!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bluff Creek Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed