General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Memorial Day Monday Morning Ironman Swim at Wildwood Lake Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-23 9:58 AM

User image

Subject: Memorial Day Monday Morning Ironman Swim at Wildwood Lake

Come join several other triathletes of different swimming abilites for a Memorial Day Morning Swim at beautiful Wildwood Lake in Northampton.  We will be meeting in the parking lot behind Wildwood bowling alley between 8 and 8:15 AM.  We will be in the water swimming by 8:30 AM.  Feel free to swim 1 mile, 1.5 miles, 2 miles or come and swim the full 2.5 miles with us. 

When swimming lengthwise we swim from one beach to another beach on the far side - 1/2 mile.  We take a short break at the far beach, and then swim back for exactly 1 full mile.  When swimming the short way across, we swim to a shallow section 1/4 mile away (you can comfortably stand) take a quick break and swim back to the original beach.  *We will be swimming lengthwise twice, and then across once, for a total of 2.5 miles. 

Here is a map for clarification:  www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=481458

The lake is in the shape of an eight.  In the middle of the lake where the lake curves dramatically inward on itself (see map)  it is very shallow; maybe 3 to 4 feet deep for a section of about 100 yards.  The rest of the lake is on avg 25 feet deep.  Many people practive scuba diving in this lake and claim to have visibility underwater of up to 20 feet.  It's super-clean. 

THIS IS NOT A RACE!  This a fun meeting of triathletes looking to kick the Summer with a good endurance swim.  It'll be good recovery from the weekend long run and bike.  Water temps right now are a comfy 65 degrees.  Wildwook Lake is a ultra-clean, freshwater lake (one of the last of its kind on Long Island!)  There are only a couple of houses on the lake itself, 90% of the lake is surrounded by forest.  I've been swimming there for two years with zero issues, and I know several people who have been swimming there 5+ years with no issue and even ran into a few swimmers who have been swimming there for 10 years.     

*(Wildwood Lake is NOT in Wildwood State Park! )

Directions coming from out West on LIE:  Take LIE to Exit 71.  Make first right onto Edwards Ave.  Go 4 miles and make a Right onto County Rd 51 (Riverhead Courts building will be on your right).  Go 2 miles and you will see a traffic light on the other side of the road, however there is no intersection here, so go another 1/4 mile and there is a Left-turn intersection.  Make a u-turn and go back to the traffic light and make a Right.  You will immediately see a bowling alley on your right.  Parking lot for the lake is behind the bowling alley.

There are bathroom facilites at the Lake.  Bring your own nurition.  Wetsuits highly advised. 

Pic of my friend Derrick during an April 1st Polar Swim in Wildwood Lake!

Looking back at the beach

2012-05-23 10:24 AM
in reply to: #4224937

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Memorial Day Monday Morning Ironman Swim at Wildwood Lake
Thanks...if I wasnt having a housefull of guests I would join you, I live 10 minutes from there, and was at a birthday party with my son there last week.  Did not realize there was a lake back there....please let me know of others....thanks again
2012-05-23 12:56 PM

User image

Elite

Had you made this into a big family friendly BBQ/cookout extravaganza I could almost convince my fiancee and daughter to attend. Unfortunately this would just be another "excuse for Aaron to workout."

Dont eat the sugar!

2012-05-25 3:03 PM

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
I'll be there bobby. Probably do 1.5.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Memorial Day Monday Morning Ironman Swim at Wildwood Lake Rss Feed