Nothing new
Event warmup:

one mile run, suited up and swam a bit maybe 4-5 minutes
Swim
  • 21m 5s
  • 1320 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

So I am aware that swimming is my Achilles heal. Although I swim hard and my endurance does not leave me, I am just not fast enough to be with the front pack of swimmers. I had worked hard last winter and this spring to make this less of a liability but as I got closer to race season I cut back to three days a week in the pool. Back to the race, I set myself in a prime spot staring down the first buoy, horn sounded, I was immediately pinned between two guys right and left. We hung there for two hundred yds. before the guy on my right dropped. I hung with the guy on my left for quite a while longer maybe 500 yds before he dropped. It was clear water from there. I took perfect lines. All felt great Came out of the water and my lovely spotter gave me the great news, 4 min. 30 sec back from the lead swimmer UUUUUUGGGGGHHHHH!
What would you do differently?:

Learn to swim
Transition 1
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

A little clunky here but pretty quick. 3rd fastest in my AG

not much
Bike
  • 42m 15s
  • 16 miles
  • 22.72 mile/hr
Comments:

So fortunately I am a better cyclist then swimmer I quickly went to work. This is a tough course to get into a rhythm due to the narrow roads, turns and a couple hills. I just passed people till maybe mile ten where I found a couple guys that decided they didn't want to get passed. We went back and fourth twice then we hit the biggest hill. I made my pass after we crested the hill and they never gave chase. On the way in I would pass one last guy. I noticed he was in my age group and wondered if I would see him on the run course?? (that question will be answered in the run comments)

The strap on my right shoe pulled out of the D ring so it never got fastened. My tool kit was falling off and making a bunch of racket
Transition 2
  • 00m 23s
Comments:

My best T2 ever.

lightning was jealous of that transition ;)
Run
  • 31m 22s
  • 5 miles
  • 06m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where the real race begins. I came flying out of T2 and get cut off by a biker not in the race, no big deal, put on my number belt on the run. So less than a mile in a guy catches me, I ask his age, 48. It's go time, with five miles to go I have my first real race for what I assume is a podium spot. I pick up the pace. I can hear this guy's breathing and footsteps but I manage to keep him off past the half way turn around. I have about 30ft. lead on this guy at this point. Within the next mile he made a move to pass again, he made it as far as to get along side me but at this point it was a bit of a down hill so I opened up my stride and put some distance. We only have about two miles to go and I know this guy is right there and going to make one last attempt to pass so I waited conserving all I could knowing this would be for all the marbles. With one mile to go I decided to try and break his spirit for good. I was not going to allow him close enough to make a pass at the very end. With about 50 yards to the entrance of the finish chute I looked back and had plenty of room to enjoy my finish and capture My first age group win in this large of a race.

It turns out I beat the second place guy by 5 seconds. I waited at the finish line and thanked him for a great race.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with Gina, Dad and Joyce. Gave them the race details. I ate a little. We hung around for awards. I have won before, both age group and over all but standing on the top of the podium in that size a race in front of that many quality athletes with my family there to enjoy, is a special moment I will never forget. I also got a nice bottle of Zinfandel for my efforts.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming

Last updated: 2011-10-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:05 | 1320 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/73
Overall: 0/783
Performance: Average
Suit: Blue seventy reaction full
Course: Counter clockwise around a peninsula
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:57
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:15 | 16 miles | 22.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/73
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: The roads are not closed to traffic and pretty narrow with no bike lane in most areas.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:23
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:22 | 05 miles | 06m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/73
Performance: Good
Course: out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-24 12:15 AM

Subject: Morgan Hill Sprint Triathlon

2012-05-25 11:31 AM
in reply to: #4226502

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
Subject: RE: Morgan Hill Sprint Triathlon
The swim is your Achilles heel? Oh lord, wait till you get a load of my RR; my swim falls into the epic category. Congratulations on your AG win!
2012-05-27 8:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Nice job!  You killed it! 
2012-05-27 10:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
A moment to remember for sure! That run was exciting to read! Lightning would be jeoulous?... Add me to that list.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Morgan Hill Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed