Tri4gold
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 27m 24s
Overall Rank = 55/510
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/56
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at the Wyndam so the night's sleep was good, and had plenty of time in the morning for the usual breakfast (pb honey ceral sandwich and mt dew, water), routine, gear, walk across the street with Mike to transition.
Event warmup:

Set-up gear, pose for Children's Picture, run my mouth (I'm a GREAT sportsman during warm-up and cool down, I feed on trash talking during-me and brian talked about this before), and get a feel for the water. Wetsuit on-althought the lake was WARM, no need for wetsuit other than free speed. no active warm-up.
Swim
  • 28m 56s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

So in talking with the race director the day before during the "expo"/packet-pickup I noticed the yellow buoys were swung way out from the orange-especially on the way back in. He says-"yuo know the USAT rule right?" My response: "yeah outside the buoys"-and he says "no, outside the ORANGE buoys-you can slalom the yellow if you want"-hmmm.
So I went outside the yellow to the first orange (had some slight navigation problems-I pull left.) rounded the Orange tight, held tight to the line for the second orange, nice rounding. Proceeded to swim INSIDE all but one yellow on the way back in, that one--I swam under. Straight shot to the exit. Didnt really draft at all. I moved up like 70 or so people at the line up so "faster swimmers" were with me and I didnt really get any chance to draft until the back orange, and that was so short it didnt really happen. I passed a few and image a few passed me but didn't really notice-its a wide lake. On the way in I only saw people swimming outside the yellows when I took a breath.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, great swim for me. took 2 minutes off from last year!
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

HAHA
Personal rule-"T" under 1:00. Ok so the run from the waters edge to my bike was pretty far. Excuse I know. Anyway, tried the goggles cap pullof and leave in sleeve of wetsuit-this worked well! Suit off to waist, got to bike-didn't get lost this year. Mikes bike still racked, he must be starting later. Brian's bike still racked-he must have started swim after me-or I beat him, we'll see. Suit stuck on left leg a sec. Helmet on bike off and run to EDGE of T1. I felt my chinstrap slapping my neck-and an official staring RIGHT at me. I come to a DEAD STOP and clip it then step out of transition-he says to me "Is is clipped?!" I yank it as I run by and he says ok-PHEW!!! flying mount and Im off.
3/56

15 seonds slower than last year
over 1:00
MAKE SURE HELMET IS CLIPPED
GET THE FRAKING SUIT OFF-without calf cramps either.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 36s
  • 25 miles
  • 21.87 mile/hr
Comments:

I tried hard to remember this course from last year-and I know it's a fast course. Started in no passing zone with about 2 riders both ahead of me by a good bit so no worries about being jammed up. Through the parking lot I had time and space to get my feet in shoes. Out on the main road got up to speed pretty well and didnt want to push it too hard to start. Let the HR come off swim/T1/OFFICIAL and theres a baby hill early so don't gun it JUST YET. After that hill its out to the course and rollers. Holding speed just wehre I want and reeling in one rider after another. Officer has us turn into a neighborhood and I remember the hill in is kinda steep with the turn so quick shift so no mashing like last year and BOOM Im still nailing it. After the neighborhood I get with a group of 4. One girl pushing it ok, a sport factory guy, and 2 others. The SF and girl are leapfrogging with me-but theyre riding the middle! again and again and again. This course has ALOT of officials, and Im actually praying for one after about 2 miles of this. Finally Im sitting in the back of 5 and SF#2 and girl#3 are "drafting the middle" trying to pass #1 on a hill, blocking me#5 and one other guy#4. The official rides up next to me and Im upright and blatanly disgusted and upset. Theres the pad. We almost top the hill and as the official rides up-I SLAM IT-passing all 5 telling #4 as I pass-"Finally!" I proceeded to drop that 4 for the rest of the ride-thanks for the break I guess. So now Im alone throught the hillier backside of the couse. with the neighborhood and one other turn IN and OUT I actually catch a glimpse of Brian, but with aerohelmets and timing I dont get any motivation/trash out. Also saw mike on one section. He looked good, BLEW his back last year.Ahead I see a GREEN suit. Hmm havent seen that color in a while-ok, go get-em. Takes me a good 3-4 miles to catch him and I joke "Ive been chasing you forever!" I pass and think its done, moving on, wahtever. When here he comes again, passing me. ok ok I get it, I softened. So we play leapfrog 2 or 3 more times and then he says "lets go get the guy in red"-OK!!! We leapfrog a good 4 miles catching Mr.Red with about 1-1.5 to go. I dont see green anymore--THANKS CAPTAIN! great fun. Feet out, quick pedal, backpedal, loosen and coast into dismount "zone"-huh, ok I jump at the line and do the weird run with your bike run that we do and rack my bike.
Turns out I was nearly as fast last year-21.8-21.9. I'll chalk it up to I had a break this year.

SALT SALT SALT
I didnt take a E'cap, gel, or anything other than my bottles. don't ask.
This turns out to be a costly mistake. Last year I did a stronger drink (didnt like it but obv it worked better) I also did a Na/K/Mg/Ca gel last year, should have this year. hydration good, electrolytes bad.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Helmet unlipped just fine at the rack-thank you
Brian's bike gone, and this line comes into my head--"I'll find you"
I know he's coming-but when!!! (its a turnaround run-we WILL see each other, he didnt start THAT far back in a swim.
Oddly I usually hang the bike by the aerobars, this day for some reason I racked it by the seat. In the moment I guess.
Socks rolled on (10K yes 5K no) grab belt grab gel-gone!
Mikes bike gone-Hope he's still having a good race.
5/56

Rule held to, no snags, and all good. I dont think the "deeper" racking of my bike cost me anything.
Run
  • 47m 30s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

UGH
Candy cane section-fine. Onto path-fine. Rollers, starting to feel it-can I have a complete great race. I had a great swim-saw from my watch. I had a great bike-saw from computer average. Get the run. Plan was to gel at mile 2 and have it carry me till the end. So i take a look at watch at mile 1-I'm behind. I think ok first mile big deal. RED FLAG. Because if anythhing my first mile is usualy fast cause I can't REALLY feel my legs from the bike. Intro mile 1 to mile 2-hello QUADS! Now last year I had 3 races GARBAGED for back issues leading to cramping, tightness, numbness, and loss of power. This was not that. I tried to speed up thinking my body was saying I was going to slow-NOPE. The pain became unbearable, I had to walk/stop/stretch-whatever. Including side shuffling. That was me if you saw me. I refused to stand still. Well at first. I then finally stood still and tried stertching/massage/fetal bouncing. Pounded the gel in hopes that it would help too-finally they let go and I could jog. I increased my speed and drank 4 cups at the aid station. I actually got back up to speed. The 2nd mile was sub 10:00 THANK YOU, and I had my pace back for mile 3 and 4 and was cupping fluids at every aid station to keep the quads at bay. And it happened--Brian and I crossed paths-CRAP! 4-5 however the quads came back-UGH!!! Brian is redlining to catch me-I know it! "You recovered you were having a good run-run run run! CRAP! I immediately stopped and started the stretching/fetal bouncing whatever to get me moving-"Get up and run" FUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG! There goes Brian-I yell back "Took you long enough, If I get my legs back your mine-don't let me catch you!" Then I had quite a few obscenities for myself. Quads let go and I picked the jog and ran the last 1/2 mile as hard as I could. Brian was the first cheer I heard near the line. Stupid run.

Electrolyte
Post race
Warm down:

About 4 bananas
2 bottles of gatorade
pizza
talked with Childrens of Atlanta tent
Talk with brian
talk with spectators
talk with anyone
cheer for anyone crossing the line
cheer for teammates and friends
cheer for strong finishers
cheer for Childrens of Atlanta athletes
missed team photo-second year running-ugh!
packed up, checked out, and headed to DQ

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The run
My quads
My stupidity

Event comments:

THANK YOU tri4gold, VOLUNTEERS, and Officers!!!
Race put together SO WELL!
NO COMPLAINTS about this race, I LOVE IT!
People say the swim is long every year-its an INTERNATIONAL-and we all have to swim it!
The bike is fast and has challenging moments.
The run is rolling with 1 hill on a golfcart pathway shaded beautifully.
The scenery is fantastic.
Medals to all finishers
Awards to FIVE deep
GREAT shirts this year
Great swag-samples of gel, fizz, and socks!
Mini expo.
FAST results posting and picture uploading!
Again-NO COMPLAINTS

Last updated: 2012-05-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:56 | 1640 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/56
Overall: 0/510
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca S3 with sleeves
Course: Long sided rectangle. Start on long side following 5/6 yellow to turn at orange, straight across to 2nd orange, and finish short side of rectangle alongside 5 or so yellow buoys.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:29
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:08:36 | 25 miles | 21.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/56
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Tri4gold.com posted a great elevation map and satellite map this year. big loop through neighborhoods, main roads, and all paved nicely course. Bottle exchange at midpoint with gatorade endurance.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:47:30 | 06.2 miles | 07m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/56
Performance: Bad
Course: Big loop on golfcart pathway. Candy cane left exit, short grass section to golfcart path. Multiple rollers to get to lakes edge. Inside 2 tunnels-I still hate running in tunnels. Wrap around CLIMB to top of tunnel. Mild rollers throughout and one climb on way out and back. Mostly downhill on way back in aside from repeating rollers and mini climb to the line. webiste had great map and elevation for the run too!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-25 8:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Peachtree International Triathlon

2012-05-31 8:43 PM
in reply to: #4228725

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Peachtree International Triathlon

You saved my bike!  I need some push and fun.  Good yo yo-ing with you at the end. Congrats on your day...look foward to the next chase.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peachtree International Triathlon Rss Feed